Brian May: Astounding, brilliant guitarist and songwriter. Let’s appreciate.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Feat77, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Touch Too Much ’79

Touch Too Much ’79 Iamtheworldthathidestheuniversalsecretofalltime

A fine songwriter and an incredible musician to boot.
    He’s a unique talent and an incredibly modest individual considering his band’s massive album sales.

juanmanuel, Ludger and Jarleboy like this.
  2. I wish my hair could do that. Great guitar player with a unique, identifiable tone.

juanmanuel, TongueDruid and Big Blue like this.
  3. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Dead On Time

4. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

What exactly do you disagree with? With things like Keep Yourself Alive, Brighton Rock and Now I'm Here his stature in Queen could've been similar to Jimmy Page's stature in Led Zeppelin. But at some point he either became unable to come up with songs in the vein of the three I listed, or he simply let Mercury become the leading force in the band.

5. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Well, as these things go, I think he hadn’t come close to peaking yet. But my two favourite Queen albums are News Of the World and The Works.

Incredibly gifted and diverse songwriter and sublime player - beautifully expressive singer. ‘All Dead All Dead’ slays me every time.
    Plus, I admire him for all his advocacy work. I will miss him when he is gone.

6. Feat77

Feat77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That never happened. They all played a role and wrote their own songs. There are almost an overwhelming amount of brilliant Brian moments in all eras of Queen’s music.

7. Feat77

Not even remotely true. Even in the ‘80s Brian has brilliant moments.

Tingman, juanmanuel, Ludger and 4 others like this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Loved him in QUEEN's early career, but unfortunately their music suffered from Radio Gaga!!!!

RIP Freddie

9. Feat77

His status is absolutely like Page in Queen, and as much as I see Jimmy’s talent, I’d rather listen to Brian any day.

juanmanuel, mr.dave, Ludger and 7 others like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yup. That's the only thing that would make it appear like Brian was writing less, the ascendancy of Deacon and Taylor as great established songwriters in their own right.

Ludger likes this.
  11. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Brian May is one of the great rock guitarists. Though, for me, I single out his amazing guitar/swing band tour de force in Good Company. He must have worked so hard on that, but it sounds effortless.

Aside: many years ago I saw Brian May at Disneyland. I think he was waiting outside of a ride, waiting for whomever he was with to finish. He was just hanging by himself. I debated about approaching him, if only to thank him for his music, but I decided bugging someone at the “happiest place on earth” was bad karma.

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I agree, I could say the same about other great guitarists in the 80’s… Eddie Van Halen, Ritchie Blackmore, Jeff Beck etc.

As I said, Queen (and Brian May guitar work) peaked with Sheer Heart Attack. All other followed have some brilliant moments, I think of ANATO and Jazz.

13. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Ludger, Bfunkthe1 and CliffL like this.
  14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Queen is not really my thing. But amazing they were, no one can deny that. Brian May is deservedly one of the alltime guitar greats.

Ludger and Jarleboy like this.
  15. Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged Chinese Democracy

Brian recorded with Guns N’ Roses in ‘99 on the Chinese Democracy sessions after Robin Finck left the group. He played on 3 tracks, Catcher leaked back in ‘06 (his soapbox comments will be out there to read on it), but his solo never made the Final Cut. If you’ve never heard it, I highly recommend listening to it on YouTube and comparing it to what ended up on the album. You don’t remove Brian May from anything!

Ludger and Rufus rag like this.
  16. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

His vulnerability is an essential counterpoint to the bombast of Queen (although he’s capable of that too) and as such he gives the band a critical balance. As I said in another thread recently, that vulnerability can lead to mawkishness but his songs are often a really important part of the band. How lucky they were to have four capable writers in the same band, it doesn’t happen often.

Ludger, Man at C&A and Jarleboy like this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My favorite Brian May guitar track is “Killer Queen” just for the purity and directness of the tone.

juanmanuel, Ludger, Vic_1957 and 2 others like this.
  18. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Yes, isn’t he also an Astrophysicist? Maybe only Tom Schultz rivals that level of intelligence.

phillh and BeatleJWOL like this.
  19. I wouldn’t say his peers, and I am sure the readership as with most current guitar mags isn’t large, particularly since it’s the UK. Plus the readership is probably Millennial, Alpha and Gen Z the same demographic that has revised the bands’ fortunes, thus self referential.

savemenow likes this.
  20. human riff 999

human riff 999 Forum Resident

He is a fine player...a really great player and writs nice stuff...I just never cared for FM at all...voice style presentation.....BM could have been a household name with out Queen....never cared for their music...saw where he was named greatest guitarist of all time by Total Guitar....what a humble cat....hes really a great one....can pass on FM every time......not a fan

21. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

He is an astrophysicist and was in a doctoral program, but I don't believe he finished and the doctorate he has is honorary...though deserved.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Both Brian May and Freddie Mercury were excellent songwriters with very different styles within Queen. John Deacon and Roger Taylor were too. This is one of Queen's major strengths. Nobody ever took over the songwriting process although one or the other might be more prolific at times.

It so happens that Brian is my favorite songwriter in Queen, but that's just me.

23. ARK, Tingman, faceinthecrowd and 4 others like this.
  24. Paul Lee

Paul Lee One-eyed cat in a seafood store.

Brian May is a great guitarist without a doubt. But to my ears his playing seems to all sound the same. But then I suppose that goes for most guitarists - once they develop their unique sound it usually stays that way.

Boom Operator likes this.
  25. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

BeatleJWOL and starduster like this.