Brian Wilson Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MaccaBeatles, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Why there isn't more Brian Wilson compilation on CD/DVD material is beyond me.
    I'm beating a dead horse I know, but check out Brian's vocal on 'Don't Worry Baby' here:
    26:20

Tim 2, hEARt PhoniX, Exotiki and 5 others like this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Gave John B our best shot at the Pete Seeger tribute I organized for his 100th Bday last year. A significant enough rearrangement of a cover that we covered the cover, or at least tried.

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Actually Beach Boys version of Sloop John B is technically not a cover as it is a traditional song. One doesn't really cover a traditional song unless one is covering someone else's arrangement of a traditional song (as we did above). Otherwise one is interpreting and arranging a traditional song - and can copyright the arrangement.

Kingston Trio version was not even the first famous recorded version of the song. First version I heard was a pre-KTrio version by The Weavers (hence our doing it at a Seeger tribute). My parents had all their albums growing up so that was the main music I knew before Yellow Sub turned me on to The Beatles when it came out when I was 3.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

I know it may not be many fave but I was wondering why Gettin’ In Over My Head the album isn’t online to stream. Any ideas? Thanks y’all!

5. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Who knows, but I don't mind it.
    Listen to it more then No Pier and Imagination and it's a fine summer record

oldsurferdude and Allen Michael like this.
  6. His music was the soundtrack to my early childhood. I then went through a period where I didn't listen to much Beach Boys or Brian Wilson and then - boom! - in junior high school, I heard Pet Sounds. My life wasn't the same since. It still isn't. I look for any opportunity to listen to this album in any configuration. I never grow tired of it, which is unusual.

D.B., oldsurferdude and Exotiki like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spun Pet Sounds this afternoon. I'll be spinning Beach Boys all this long weekend. Love ya Brian, glad your still here spinning the tunes we all love.

Happy Memorial Day to all Hoffmanites & their families.

:cheers:

Tim 2, D.B., Sammy Banderas and 5 others like this.
  8. Allen Michael

yeah I feel the same way!

9. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

You know what’s a item I would love to see for auction?

Brian’s personal 45 of Be My Baby. :D

10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Interesting you say that because tonight I've been bingeing on some solo Brian and I looked for that album to revisit a few of the tracks and couldn't believe it wasn't there. Had to go for the CD, but it's with NPP as one I rarely go back to. The title track is superb, though. Watched the "Imagination" doc and played Sweet Insanity too. Now some OCA tracks.

11. Stereo68

Stereo68 Forum Resident

I have a lot of music that excited me when it was new, but that I no longer enjoy. When I put on the Endless Summer album, though, the songs get me goin' just as they did when I was 17 or so. Brian Wilson put something very special into the music.

12. Oh man...........tell me about it....

13. When that album came out, it was on constant rotation.

14. Allen Michael

yeah it’s funny! I wanted to hear “City Blues”
    Today and had to find it on my old IPod! I need to pick up a used copy of it. Sweet insanity is one I enjoy going back to. I remember getting that on a tape through a trading site in the mid 90’s! OCA is sublime! You see that they’re rereleasing it with extras?!

Brian Wilson, Van Dyke Parks Set To Release 'Orange Crate Art' « American Songwriter

Hep Alien and oldsurferdude like this.
  15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Strange that.
    Isn't even on YouTube.
    I remember when it was released, and it pretty well 'bombed' before it had a chance.
    At the time, it was released, and there wasn't much hype or interest in the album from anybody, even Brian and the band.
    It feels like a 'contractual' album to me, and even rushed in places.
    Some of Brian's vocals could have been better produced, it's a bit rough.
    I like it though for the most part.
    Probably got swept under the rug a bit also for the current 'SMiLE' performances and upcoming studio album of it.
    At this point, looks like they want to keep 'GIOMH' left in the dark depths.

Similarly, the 'Disney' project suffered the same fate.
    It came out at a time when the reunion has happening and that took precedent to Brian's album.
    Also another album that got little to no promotion, they didn't even bother with a vinyl issue of it.
    Incredibly, Brian's vocal's are 'excellent' on it, just kind of wasted project.

I would doubt if it even still exists.
    That thing would have been trashed.
    Still, more trashed the better!
    Imaging owning the physical record that changed Brian's life??

16. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Brian is a once in a lifetime talent. Would he have had a rival like John Lennon and a mentor like George Martin to bounce off his ideas and compositions,
    then the BB could have been on the same level as the Beatles, creatively and culturally.
    Instead, he had to settle for Mike Love and more incidental collaborators.

Tim 2 and oldsurferdude like this.
  17. Exotiki

This man doesn’t have a bad bone in his body, so humble and kind.

Tim 2, Hep Alien, Tord and 3 others like this.
  18. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

When I met Brian Wilson backstage at a 2005 Smile concert, I recommended this forum to him, so who knows? Bruce Johnston dropped by years ago.

19. Exotiki

Really? :yikes:

oldsurferdude and Rick Bartlett like this.
  20. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Yup, while here, he was humble about the deficiencies of his solo album Going Public, and I asked him about his original lyrics to Tears in the Morning, including the use of the word "nepenthe." I also saw him in late 2016 at a Miami Beach Boys concert, and asked if he would follow suit (after Brian and Mike did theirs) in writing an autobiography. He responded with a hand motion (fingers across the neck) indicating "never!"

Hep Alien, Rick Bartlett and Exotiki like this.
  21. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

Melinda pretty much forced Warner to release it at gunpoint as a pre-condition for Smile 2004 IIRC. Probably the biggest indication of her tone-deafness defeating her good intentions.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  22. Brian Wilson is so much more than his involvement with the Beach Boys
    I liked it better than Orange Crate Art. I never thought of it as a contractual album. It has a sufficient number of good songs on it. When it was released, Brian did a mass autograph signing at the Tower Records in Sherman Oaks. I was there, but Brian was not happy about three hours worth of signing autographs. A few people in line became rude and started asking him to sign multiple copies of items. The line was loooong.

23. Allen Michael

That’s unfortunate about GIOMH album. I agree his vocals could have been better but that’s kind of what I found charming about the album. It’s not super slick and autotuned to death.

24. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Love Brian of course and think he's debut was great, but apart from Lucky Old Sun find little that captures his old brilliance though seeing him live good or bad was always a joy

25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I think Imagination is pretty good. Almost worth getting just to have Lay Down Burden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.