Brian Wilson biopic: Love and Mercy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Throw in the tangled web of a family enterprise and it makes it difficult to just walk away, as opposed to a strictly business arrangement with acquaintances. I’m sure Brian felt guilt and a huge responsibility to his family.

He could be incredibly decisive and forceful in the studio, but Brian often acquiesced in disputes to avoid conflict.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I always felt bad for him, because The Beatles had 2-1/2 great writers and a superb producer working on their music, but with the Beach Boys... it was pretty much 90% Brian. That's a huge amount of work to shoulder, so to me it's no wonder the guy cracked from the pressure.

BTW, I concede that the others each were very talented in their own way and later did some decent songs of their own in the 1970s and 1980s.

jwoverho, Royce and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Don't forget Chuck Britz, he was like Brian's right hand man in the early years...

4. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

This was on BBC last night, out of all the recent biopics this was by far the best especially with the music segments.
    Desperately sad, but hopeful story about a true genius.
    All leads were great in difficult roles.

5. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

My psychiatric rehab class watched this movie today. Afterwards we discussed the film, especially the portrayal of his mental illness. The info card at the end of the movie said that the paranoid schizophrenic diagnosis had been overturned by doctors at UCLA, but it did not specify what diagnosis replaced it (which we thought was odd). I was pleased they were able to use authentic Beach Boys recordings instead of a sound-alike band. One of the clients in our class insisted the actors did their own singing, even though we tried to explain to her that's how the original recordings sounded and the actors were lip-synching.

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Paul Dano did sing in the film, he also learned and played the Piano part to 'GOK' by Darian Sahanaja of Brian's band.
    That part is correct.
    Some of performances are from 'original recordings', and at the time, recently discovered 'tracking' tapes.
    Brian's post diagnosis has been explained post Landy.

LilacTeardrop and Drifter like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Is it fair to compare a movie where two totally different-looking actors play Brian Wilson, on the same criteria of a film that casts six different actors in the role of Bob Dylan...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.