Brian Wilson Live at the Roxy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterC, Apr 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict Thread Starter

This has just been released in Australia at mid price with the bonus tracks not on the original website release.

So what are its merits?
    Is it more than shadow-of-his-former-self Brian being propped up by session musos?
    Will it just make me yearn more for the original versions?
    Any evidence of studio tampering?

Anyone out there have it?

2. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Yep, that pretty much sums it up (except for the session musos part)....but it sure is a great band!!!

3. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I think it is a very enjoyable and spirited album. The band (the Wondermints and others) and performances are outstanding. Doesn't make me yearn for the studio versions - I find myself enjoying the album without it mentally competing with the original recordings. I haven't searched for studio tampering - it does not feel like a studio-fixed hack job of a live album in the least.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I saw Wilson last year on tour with Paul Simon. I was amazed! Brian Wilson was fantastic! Andy Paley does a great job leading that band, which I'm sorry to say, blow any recent incarnation of the Beach Boys away.

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Brian is touring with an excellent band, but they don't hold a candle to the 1971-1974 Beach Boys touring bands without Brian - now that was a GREAT band!

6. Dan

Dan Senior Member

No argument there. I love that era of Beach Boys!

7. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Go for it. To me it's a great set and a must for any Brian/BB fan, especially at a mid price.

BTW How many Bonus tracks does the Australian version have?
    The US version has Sloop John B, Barbara Ann, & an interview w/Brian (4.21). From what I understand the UK version has a couple more.

Enjoy :cool:

8. peterC

I think we've got the UK version here. Wouldn't It Be Nice and Help Me Rhonda are added after the interview.

9. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I'd be running to the store then. :D

10. peterC

...puff, puff....

just got back from the shops.

Believe it or not, I found all 3 versions in various shops: the fan club version, the 3 bonus track version (US) and the 5 bonus track version (UK).
    The prices were inversely proportional to the number of tracks!

So I bought the fan club version because it will become a highly sought after collectors' item.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.