Brian Wilson presents "Smile"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Someone mentioned this awhile ago when it was in the rumor stage, but now it appears official- Brian Wilson's forthcoming concert tour of the UK will feature a performance of the mythical unreleased Smile album.

Should be interesting to see what Smile is actually going to consist of. I don't think anyone's ever agreed on a finished track listing.

http://www.brianwilson.com/tour/

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

He should just release an aniversary edition of the real deal as a box set or at least 2 Cee Dees with seperate Stereo and Mono mixes...plus outakes...We have most on the Sea Of Tunes...really like to have Brians stamp on an official release!:thumbsup:

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I mentioned this a few weeks back. This would be the perfect time to release a SMiLE sessions box set as Brian would be out there promoting it and it would be bound to attract a lot of media exposure.

However, unless this has already been compiled and is sitting on a shelf at Brother Records or Capitol Records, I seriously doubt they would have time to pull it all together to coincide with the tour. As far as I know, they are still "missing" session vocal tapes for many of the songs (Surf's Up and Good Vibrations included) and that there are literally hundreds of unmarked tape boxes in the Brother tape vault that still need to be reviewed and cataloged.

4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

For me, this is the greatest announcement of all time. I'm just a tad obsessed.

BTW the announcement is for live performances, to be released later on dvd. He'll be touring to support his new album, so I'm betting that a box-set, or whatever is released of the old recordings is further off in the future.

What a day, I'm shaking.....

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Wow--this is huge indeed! You know he has to do it stateside next year. I wonder if any of this Summer's dates will feature "trial Smile" material?

6. davenav

I have tickets for 6/16 at the Beacon Theatre. I'll post here after the show with a rundown.

7. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I believe the SMiLE tour is beginning next January (2004) in the U.K. and no U.S. dates have been announced. While I am sure Brian will be playing a few tracks from the SMiLE period this summer, I do not believe he will be doing the album this go around.

8. Mike Dow

Dave, please do! Any Brian news or review is welcome. He and the band are in Boston in June on a day when I am booked for a wedding:(
    I'll be there next time!

9. davenav

And they couldn't reschedule? I mean, how often does BRIAN WILSON play Boston! They could get married anytime! Sheesh.:laugh:

But seriously...I'll post a setlist on this thread later that night. I doubt it will be a complete SMiLE show, but there could be some surprises.

10. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

I know that I'm echoing a lot of other's sentiments but I hope that Brian Wilson releases an authorized version of Smile. I got hooked on that album back in the days of Napster when I downloaded all of the track that I thought were on the album...unfortunately I didn't get a chance to burm tham and then the puter crashed. then Napster was no more. :( I have the authorized Smiley Smile now but I would like the real Smile.

11. Mike Dow

Good point! It's not like the man comes around every weekend! If I started to work on it today, I may be able to break them up between now and June 14th! ;)

12. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

A piece of Smile was actually performed in summer 2001. I had stand-by status to see Brian on Conan O'Brien in NYC, but was the first not to be let in. When I watched the show, I was delighted to see BW's performance begin with Our Prayer (the proposed opener for Smile, of course) and then Heroes and Villains. A great performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.