Brian Wilson - The 2017 Pet Sounds Tour thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MaccaBeatles, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

6th row. I'll take it.

2. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

Are you a fellow Knoxvillian? I pre-ordered my tickets. Couldn't afford to go the full $120 tickets for both me and my wife, so we went with the $80 option and got row R center. Not bad. There really isn't a bad seat in the Tennessee Theatre.

I'm incredibly jazzed for this! I'd made up my mind that I wouldn't travel to go see this show, so I'd skipped over some other dates. I never expected a Knoxville date all of 10 minutes from my house. I saw Brian in Atlanta on the '04 SMiLE tour and haven't seen him since. The addition of Al and Blondie has me super excited!

3. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

I live in Charlotte, NC but Knoxville is only 4 hours away. I don't mind a little drive. :)

4. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

His voice is long gone. It's depressing to hear him try and sing.

Gorgon likes this.
  5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Thanks for the threadcrap. [​IMG]

6. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

Yes, all these dates disturbing me. BUT! 1. I remember the same talks in January - that he will not survive this schedule till May 2016 - but when I saw him in June - he seemed to be happy and healthy. 2. Who knows - maybe having such huge plans keeps him alive? We never know each other's cocroaches in their heads. Especially if it's Brian's head.

7. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

More dates added in UK & Europe for July/August. Final tour & final dates keep slipping and being added to. Hoping this is happening because Brian wants to do more dates and is enjoying himself.

8. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

There was a recent pollstar article saying that touring is all he wants to do and he is already trying to figure out a new one for next year.

Drifter and coffeetime like this.
  9. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

I hope he comes back to Scotland.

10. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Really he should be touring SMiLE instead of Pet Sounds this year.

AJK74, Zoot Marimba, Smxx777 and 2 others like this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

Yeah, I hope they shake up the setlist from last year. Let Al sing "Vegetables" or something. And Matt could do a nice "Wonderful". I also wish to hear "Custom Machine", "Airplane", "You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone", and "Girl from New York City".

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  12. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Save your money and purchase the Analogue Productions Mono-"Pet Sounds". Brian Wilson looks like a manikin sitting behind a grand piano. Sad but his voice is shot. He seems to be highly medicated and sedated. Possibly embalmed!

starduster likes this.
  13. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

While I'd rather see a SMiLE tour, I'd take this. And I'd be open to a studio album as long as it's not like his last one:faint:

14. LeeGriffin

I'm happy he's touring but I wish it wasn't a continuation of the Pet Sounds tour. I've enjoyed every Brian show I've seen since 2013 but was disappointed with the Pet Sounds show I saw in Asheville, NC. Brian seemed bored and constantly checked his watch while singing. The first set and encore was a generic greatest hits set that was rather dull. Honkin' Down The Highway was already cut out of the setlist. By far the highlight was the live performance of Funky Pretty.

I like the idea someone mentioned of performing mini sets of various albums. I'd like to see a tour with a regular set that's a good combination of hits and deep cuts. During the first six songs of the second set, have a mini set of a different album each night. You might get a Friends mini set, Sunflower mini set, etc. For the love of God, I wish the encore would change up a bit. It's been exactly the same for the past two tours.

Smxx777, coffeetime and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Word on the street is that last night they played
    "FEEL FLOWS"
    !

mikee and coffeetime like this.
  16. LeeGriffin

According to setlist.fm they performed The Night Was So Young, Feel Flows and Let Him Run Wild. Those are some very nice additions! :righton:

17. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

After Honkin' Down The Highway at some dates last year, it's great to hear more Love You songs making it onto the setlist.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  18. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

Hmm, for me, Funky Pretty was the absolute worst part of the show I saw last August. Blondie Chaplin came across as a complete idiot, his rock star posing was totally at odds with the rest of the band, and the song itself is the worst track on Holland. Not to mention that the title of it makes no sense.

19. Is it too late to ask for a Love You 4oth anniversary tour, preferably with additional tracks from the 1976 "New Album" and Adult/Child? I can imagine Brian revisiting Still I Dream Of It with his modern day voice as a potential show highlight...

20. Misterroper

Misterroper Forum Resident

Anyone here going to the show tonight in Orlando? If so, we want a full report.

21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

So how do you really feel about the song? :laugh:

It's not among my top favorites, but it was cool to hear something different in the setlist. While there are some fans that don't like the stuff from that era, I can't imagine liking the "Holland" album but not liking that song. It's very "of" that era of the band.

starduster likes this.
  22. balzac

balzac Senior Member

While I don't think I ever need to hear "Mona" live, a "Love You" tour is very doable, as it's very Brian-centric obviously (which is why we're unlikely to ever get a "Sunflower" tour; I don't picture Brian or his band doing, say, "Tears in the Morning").

I don't think we'll ever see a "Love You" tour; but I could picture them doing a one-off or short run of shows late in the year devoted to the album. Brian and the band are aware there's demand from at least hardcore fans, and Brian I believe has given an extremely non-committal sort of "maybe, we've talked about it" answer when asked about it.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  23. Misterroper

This report comes from someone on another message board:

Was at the show in Orlando. Brian was singing great, and hearing Feel Flows live was amazing. I also did the meet and greet, and they're no longer signing personal items, but I think Blondie was signing things for people after the sound check. Overall a great show.

SETLIST:
    California Girls
    Dance, Dance, Dance
    I Get Around
    Little Honda
    Do It Again
    Surfer Girl
    Don't Worry Baby
    Let Him Run Wild
    The Night Was So Young
    California Saga
    Feel Flows
    Wild Honey
    Sail On Sailor
    Intermission, then Pet Sounds
    Good Vibrations
    Help Me Rhonda
    Barbara Ann
    Surfin' USA
    Fun Fun Fun
    Love And Mercy​

24. Misterroper

Another report of last night's show in New Orleans. Sounds like a good start to the tour!

Set List for New Orleans, 29 Mar 2017:

California Girls
    Dance Dance Dance
    I Get Around
    Shut Down
    Little Deuce Coupe
    Little Honda
    Row row row your boat
    Do It Again
    Surfer Girl
    The Night Was So Young
    California Saga
    Don't Worry Baby
    Let Him Run Wild
    Feel Flows
    Wild Honey
    Sail on, Sailor

INTERMISSION

Pet Sounds album

Encore:
    Good Vibrations
    Help Me Rhonda
    Barbara Ann
    Surfin USA
    Fun Fun Fun
    Love and Mercy

Notes:
    It was a great night at the old Saenger Theater. The crowd, mostly college aged to 30s, really got into it and the band fed off that enthusiasm.
    Brian did the girls yell/boys yell twice - once at very beginning then again later. He looked to be very happy.​

oldsurferdude likes this.
  25. Misterroper

Some great video from New Orleans and The Night was So Young.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.