Bridge Over Troubled Water -double 45 ultradisc box set *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bruce of oz, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bruce of oz

bruce of oz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unless I've missed it, any thoughts on the pending double 45 ultradisc box set of this wonderful album from Acoustic Sounds.
    Preordering now.

2. bruce of oz

bruce of oz Forum Resident Thread Starter

No thoughts out there?

3. Dave of bris

Dave of bris Forum Resident

Yes. Can you imagine how good the percussive intro to Cecilia will sound...

richbdd01 likes this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

What is the source they're mastering from, I wonder?

5. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I did read that before I posted. Much of that copy is the same as other MFSL one-step releases, including The Nightfly which was recorded using a digital signal chain. Is the source for this reissue a digital one? Doesn't say either way

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Myke likes this.
  8. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Any seen any sensible UK prices - just checked one site and it’s£124

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I love this one-step idea, and I am aware of how terrific the Santana and Fagen releases are, based on forum member feedback. But I don’t know...I am just not gaga over these three album choices. This latest one has the sonically inferior live cuts at the end that just don’t grab me. I’m sure they’ll sound better, but they won’t be as nice as the rest, I’m thinking.

This audiophile production method needs real audiophile records, from the analogue domain, to truly wow us all. These three selections just aren’t my cup of tea, though The Nightfly is one of my all time favourite records.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  10. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

What is “the one step process?”

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

rxcory and alexpop like this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There doesn't seem to be any source information in that thread, either

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears or Steely Dan would be a good choice next.

Guss2 and AudiophilePhil like this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Neil Young's Greatest Hits is a one step process also, the first in fact, before MFSL started their releases. Discussed a lot around here.

AnalogJ likes this.
  16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Thanks for that info. That’s a half decent choice, and still a curious one... it is a Greatest Hits, so one may question the diverse tapes and production values present.

17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

They create the 'Stamper' right Off of the Lacquer, no mother, no father. Once the Stamper is made, the Lacquer is destroyed in the process, therefore making it limited edition.
    Beave

uzn007 and Isamet like this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would order from Music Direct to be sure of getting a copy. However, there are 7500 of these being printed.

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Classic Records 45 rpm has been one of my favorite albums for years, and is even more so since I was recently able to flatten the discs with the Vinyl Flat. Although I love the presentation of the MOFI one step titles, I’ll pass on this one.

I think my choices for the one step treatment would be titles that have not been done on 45 rpm. I would love to see Blood on the Tracks.

Solaris, Merrick and seed_drill like this.
  21. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

The Classic 45 rpm of BOTW sounds quite amazing. I just wonder how much room there really is for improvement.

Nonetheless, unless Mo-Fi comes out with a can't-live-without title, I'm gonna pass on these One-Step releases. I did buy the Donald Fagen Nightfly and yes it sounds terrific but after all that waiting for the release I get one record with a serious defect (and it's taking a real long time to get a replacement copy from Music Direct) along with 2 damaged inner sleeves. For a $100 album consumers should expect a hell of a lot better. Maybe someone over at a pressing in Japan can get the Mo-Fi business and show RTI how it's done.

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I operate under the assumption that nothing can improve on Bernie Grundman cutting 45 rpm from analogue tapes. I passed on the recent Tapestry reissue for that reason as well. That's a bit troubling to hear about a serious defect with the MOFI Nightfly. My copy of the Bill Evans set is perfect, but I haven't opened my copies of Nightfly and the Abraxas yet, and would be bummed to have a defective disk that can't be replaced. Have there been quality control issues with these titles?

23. Blue Cactus

Yes. I wouldn't say a lot but RTI had to repress more black One-Step biscuits due to customers receiving less than satisfactory LP's. I talked to a couple different customer service reps at Music Direct and one did agree with me that RTI could be doing a better job.

Now the inner sleeves were Music Direct's screw up. I know more than a few people here on this forum were none too happy about getting a $100 record with 2 jackets with seam splits. Music Direct could have should have just put the records outside of the jackets. they are after all protected by the rice paper sleeves Acoustic Sounds did that with my CCR box and all 8 jackets were perfect.

Seems to me that there's a bit of a learning curve involved here and I'm sure these avoidable mistakes can be costly.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't think that Music Direct is packing or handling inner sleeves.

25. Blue Cactus

With these one step box sets they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.