Bridge Over Troubled Water -double 45 ultradisc box set *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bruce of oz, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I just heard via email, that my replacement Disc 1 (pops and click on side one) shipped today . So they must have back up replacement LP’s ready. I just asked for a replacement only two days ago.

2. My replacement LP2 shipped as well

3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

My replacement disc one shipped today. Hope this ones a keeper.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I ordered one five days ago and was told they had no idea when mine would ship. Nice!

5. I just opened the second box. Played the side with The Boxer. As luck would have it right at the beginning of the (steel?) guitar solo-turnaround there were three clicks. The next time it seemed like there was only one. Have to check again. Darn!

6. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

7. Don't have one.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I understand. It took me decades to get a RCM. After I got my VPI RCM, I was kicking myself for not getting one sooner. I had a big bad click on my New Moonshine record. I put it through the RCM and no more click. So... no returns, no hassles, no shipping costs.

Preston, paolo and Jrr like this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Suddenly, Jim had an epiphany. He asked himself, "What if I vacuum cleaned everything? Could all of life be this easy?"

Yeah, discovering a decent RCM really makes a difference. I have a Record Doctor.

dobyblue and paolo like this.
  10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I know, it seemed like a lot of money, the RCM pays for itself in no time.

Vinylsoul 1965, alx7 and Tommyboy like this.
  11. I fully agree. But I have bigger fish to fry right now.

A $98 new LP shouldn't need cleaning. The 3 clicks are still there but lower. It's in a bad part of the song to have clicks. I'll run it a bit more and see.

The run out and run in grooves are quieter than the other pressing.

savemenow and Liam Adams like this.
  12. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

I just opened my set and I have 2 disc 2's.....and no Disc 1. Sigh.

Anyone have a contact for MoFi (since I bought this from Acoustic Sounds) to get the correct disc send out? Thanks!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    SoundDoctor likes this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, props to Music Direct for sending a replacement disc 1. I think we should all give them a shout out for not requiring us to return the defective one and for getting these sent without hassle.

How are everyone’s replacements? I kinda feel like I was sent someone’s return. The label on side 1 is all scuffed up. Pretty noticeable. Hatd to believe they didn’t see it. Lots of superficial scratches on the vinyl itself. If this weren’t a free replacement I would have just stopped there and requested another replacement. Gets better though! Put it on and thank goodness I have a clamp for my VPI Prime because on any table with no clamp I doubt the arm would stay on the record. Looks like my arm is on a rollercoaster ride. Actually pretty ridiculous as it has two dips so at 45rpm the arm is really hummin’ along. And, same pops and clicks (but a bit worse) as the first one. Side two is terrific but so is the other one I have.

If this were any other album it would be going back. I’m just taking a point of view this was a freebie and so I’m not sure what to do. My theory is that on a release like this they take the time to visually check them and that results in a sort of B stock pile for possible replacements...not bad enough to throw away (I beg to differ in this case though) or they are literally playing musical chairs with returns. Which I suppose doesn’t make a lot of sense if they are not making anyone at all return the bad ones. Although I guess some could be simply returning the entire set.

My original isn’t really bad and it seems to be improving on each play. It’s perfectly flat. It’s a lovely sounding album...they did a superb job. I want them to release more. So, I’m probably going to just let them know but also give them a pass on this. If they offer another, okay. No covers yet...did anyone get replacements? And how are your vinyl replacements? Did I just get unlucky?

14. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

No replacement sleeves here...

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

3 low level clicks are just about acceptable on an entire 4 sides. Now if loud pops that is an issue. I know this is expensive but there comes a limit to how much hassle you need in relation to the issue. My copy has two small clicks near start of BOTW but hoping a clean will remove. It's not a big enough deal considering I'm across the atlantic. Vinyl is rarely a perfect medium. Considering the major issues I've had with other Lps recently including several from MFSL this is trivial.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  16. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

[email protected]

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I agree with you....if you are into vinyl you really have to accept it’s limitations as far as manufacturing. I think I’ll just live with mine; I just appreciate that they tried to make it right. Music Direct has gained a customer in the process, too.

18. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Anyone got this One Step "Bridge Over Troubled Water" from Acoustic Sounds yet? My order states shipped and my card has been charged but the link to Fed Ex on the account page states cancelled by sender. I have emailed Acoustic Sounds but no reply yet. Fortunately I ordered this album from Diverse in the UK and it arrived a few days ago. I find Acoustic Sounds a bit hard to deal with - I live in the UK.

20. AnalogJ

So I listened to this again carefully. Really, just for the second time in this format.

I certainly understand what many here feel is so terrific about it. It's still a mixed bag for me, but where it's great, it's terrific! And how terrific it can be illuminates how flawed it can be. And I'm only talking about the recording itself.

Start with the opening track. The piano is a bit unfocused or fuzzy. But Art Garfunkel's vocal is so beautiful, with such low level detail, and boy, is it velvety. It's wonderful to listen to. In some ways, it's a bookend to the album closer, "A Song For The Asking". It's pretty much the only two tracks you can hear either Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel's voice direct and unadorned. Absolutely gorgeous. It's what analog is about, in many ways.

The rest of the title track is overproduced, but it's fine. But then the climactic ending and the oversaturation turns to distortion in the strings. That impression of velvetiness turns to harshness. It's the lasting impression of the track.

El Condor Pasa is okay. It's full-bodied, but there's too much echo with the vocal and instruments. Again, because there are songs and parts of the record where you can hear the voices and instruments so beautiful and unadorned, and overproduced track not only stands out, but undermines the sonic potential of the recording for me.

Cecelia and Customer Satisfied are better, in that they show how much MFSL allowed the full dynamics in the original master to come through. There's a LOT of depth here. Really impressive.

Frank Lloyed Wright, again, is sort of drenched in echo. It's muddying what could be a lot better. Again, it's the degree of contrast between the great and what isn't so great. Think of a 5th starting pitcher on a Major League Baseball staff. If they give up 4 runs per game, that's perfectly acceptable. But you get an ace like Chris Sale (currently on the Red Sox). He's capable of throwing a 1-run, 3-hit game over 7 innings. You expect that. But when he has a game where he walks 5 batters and gives up 4 runs in 6 innings, you're REALLY disappointed. It's only knowing what he's capable of that illuminates a mediocre outing that could be quite acceptable with an end of the rotation starter.

I have previously written about The Boxer. It starts out fine. Not amazing, but fine. Pretty good depth. But the strings come in and can sound oversaturated like the Bridge Over Troubled Water track. And the chorus pulls everything back but the strings. Only at the end, do the guitars and presentation open up again, almost like finally letting out a satisfying fart. Why did they pull back the dynamics of the song so much? But you really notice it here because you know how great some of the record can sound.

Baby Driver is outstanding. You don't get their Simon and Garfunkel's voices unadorned, but there's SO much space and dynamic range in the recording, along with a ton of depth.

The Only Living Boy is glorious. You still don't get either voice unadorned, but the arrangement is so big and generous, and it's just one of Simon's most lush songs. You could just sink into it.

Why Don't You Write Me? is fine. Bye Bye, Love is nothing to write home about, but there's a lot of depth in that crowd. And you can hear the bass and drums very distinctly in the mix.

Which then brings us to Song For The Asking. It is such a beautiful and simple presentation. The strings are fine, but never intefere. Simon's voice is in your room, and so is his guitar. As I said in my first write up, I was left wondering why more of the recording couldn't have been recorded this simply. It sounds SO wonderful and present. But then I think of the overly processed moments, and I think about what could have been.

21. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I played my LP ONE replacement I received, and there are far less clicks and pops on Side One than my original had but still a few. I happy with it though. Again, I think this ends my love affair with OneSteps.

22. AnalogJ

Wait... Months from now you'll have put most of ther rigermarole regarding getting a good copy. But ultimately, the affair ends over a few ticks and pops??

23. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

Actually I've stated in other posts that I have no interest in the upcoming releases of S.R. Vaughn, B. Dylan, perhaps M. Gaye (those should cover the next five years), the increased cost of $125.00 ea., and the fact that they take up a lot of space, all conspire in reaching my decision. Like a good segment of the folks that purchased "Bridge..." the first side had excessive and loud clicks and pops throughout side one and especially on the title track. Others will agree that OneSteps should be virtually flawless for what they are producing at $100.00 or more.

Jrr likes this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Of course this is apparent on every version of the album. The MFSL makes the highs higher which emphasises where the recording has compression and distortion. More of a contrast than previous versions. Unfortunately that's how it is, but this is the best that's how it is.

RZangpo2 and Jrr like this.
  25. AnalogJ

I guess I have an anomaly, in that the vinyl, itself, was flawless. I agree that it's a PITA when you get something like flawed record covers, records, and/or boxes. Vinyl is tough to get absolutely perfect. It's an imperfect medium (but better than any other medium we have, perhaps aside from reel-to-reel, which I don't have, personally). But as long as the retailers or production companies make good on taking care of the problems, providing good, conscientious customer service along the way, I'm good in the long run.

What pisses me off much more is when an audiophile company really misses with the mastering, itself. It doesn't happen often, but a record can be mastered so WRONG that I'm left with a "What were they THINKING?!?"

dobyblue and Jrr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.