Brightburn (movie)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikeInFla, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

Did a search and saw nothing about this movie. Imagine if Superman came to Earth but wasn't a hero and was a villian.

This isn't Superman but it is the basic story. I think it looks interesting:

Derek Slazenger and Encuentro like this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Haven't heard of it before. I see that its release date is in May.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very interesting movie -- co-produced by James Gunn (formerly of Guardians of the Galaxy), with his brother Mark Gunn as co-writer. Unlike Disney, apparently Sony Pictures has no problem doing business with Mr. Gunn.

Have I mentioned that the CEO of Warner Bros., Kevin Tsujihara, is about to be forced to resign for having an affair with a woman several years ago where he reneged on getting her acting parts at his studio? Trust me, there's sleazy people all over this town. And Gunn only made bad-taste jokes... he didn't actually commit a crime or hurt anybody. There's a huge difference between a Howard Stern-esque a$$hole and a Harvey Weinstein-esque a$$hole. I said a year ago and I say now that Gunn should be given a second chance and he broke no laws and is only guilty of saying things in very bad taste.

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks... looks good! I did not know of this movie...now I'd like to see it. : )

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

"Evil has found it's superhero."

Final trailer. The movie is coming this Thursday. Looks pretty badass! In a cinematic world saturated with superhero movies, this one looks to be very different.

MikeInFla likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's a brilliant idea: what if Superman came to Earth as a baby... only he was E-vil? If I were a studio exec, I'd buy it in a New York second.

GodShifter and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. This seems to have a lot in common with Chronicle. I wonder if that movie's writers will try to sue.

wayneklein likes this.
  8. MikeInFla

Wonder if he has a weakness like Kryptonite?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

10. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

There are spoiler sites that tell you exactly what happens. based on those I won't see the movie, but you might google them for yourself.

Try Googling "Brightburn spoilers" , a site called Moviespoilers comes up.

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So you check spoiler sites to determine if you want to see a movie or not?

GodShifter likes this.
  12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

SOMETIMES, yes.

13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Huh...never heard of someone doing that before. Nothing wrong with it...was just curious. :righton:

14. MikeInFla

No spoilers for me, I'll wait til it shows up on a streaming service and check it out.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I knew I wanted to see this film after I watched the trailer, but I also have to see Alladin. I love horror movies.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"You will believe a kid can fly... and be a very dangerous @@@hole."

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. It was pretty good. I kept thinking to myself as he killed his victims “say ‘protect Martha’” ;). The kid who plays the main role was pretty good as were the CGI effects. A solid horror thriller. It’s basically Superman as the Bad Seed.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. He has a weakness but I’m not going to reveal it. I do think that the makers should have been a bit more original with their origin story (it mirrors Superman down to a tee which was the intent but it could,have been more developed. The film feels like a lot was cut out as it runs a brisk 90 minutes and could easily have been expanded with some solid additional material.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

One theory someone tossed out is Darksied sent him..

20. It would be hard as this resembles Superman as much as Chronicle.

21. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

A pretty solid B Movie, with at least one scene were I had to look away but really it's just a 'Devil's spawn' film with the Superman riff bolted on for no apparent reason, apart from a inconsequential 'twist'.

Certainly worth a watch a 7/10.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I hadn't seen the trailer when I saw it, and had no idea about the film at all. Which, in my opinion, is the very best way to see a film.

SandAndGlass and lbangs like this.
  23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Didn't enjoy this one. It didn't know what it wanted to be, and was so derivative of the Superman story as to beseem overly familiar.

Much of the time it was like a movie for teens, but then would throw in some gore. And as for the climax....

I don't know what I was expecting, but in the end I thought the film shifted from being standard horror fair to trying for shocks, and it just lumbered along, tripping up itself.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Bizarro ?

MikeInFla likes this.
  25. James1972

James1972 Well-Known Member

Didn't go watch it. The trailer didn't pull me in. Guess I'll wait for the DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.