”Bring 'Em Back Alive” 1982-83 your opinions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Roy Crossland, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roy Crossland

Roy Crossland Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am a big fan of this TV series. It was aired on Swedish television in the 80’s on saturdays. It was definitely a highlight when you heard that awesome intro music together with those images. I think the story in the episodes was exciting as well. As a young boy, Frank Buck was a real hero to me.

I wonder why only one season was made.

What do you think of this TV series?

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  2. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Technically, it didn't even last one season. Cancelled after 17 episodes aired with an 18th airing some months later. Typical American shows of the time ran closer to 24-26 shows a year. It aired the same time as The A-Team in the States. Guess who won that time slot?

Roy Crossland likes this.
  3. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I remember that Tuesday at 8:00 pm was a huge issue for CBS for years. Between ABCs comedies and later the A-Team, nothing gained traction there.

Steve Litos and Roy Crossland like this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I remember really loving this as a young 'un back in the day. I wonder how it stands up now?

In my mind, I twin it with another one-series adventure series Tales Of The Gold Monkey which featured Stephen Collins and Roddy McDowell. Managed to find this one on DVD and it's still top fun! :righton:

5. Sea Within a Sea

Sea Within a Sea Forum Resident

Brings back memories!

Even as a 10-year-old, I could see that "Bring Em Back Alive" and "Gold Monkey" were shamelesssly trying to capitalize on the success of "Raiders of the Lost Ark." I always preferred "Monkey," even though for one episode it literally re-used a script from "Battlestar Galactica."

6. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I grouped them both as Raiders clones along with the very very short lived Casablanca tv show from 1983.

I was a fan of Tales Of The Gold Monkey which I believed I watched the entire season.

Somehow I never saw a single episode of Bring Em Back Alive.

They both looked fairly expensive to produce and had middling ratings in the USA.

Roy Crossland and carlwm like this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Funnily enough I didn't catch Raider until a lot later so I wouldn't have made that connection. They were both a big deal with prime time schedule slots over here unless my memory is playing tricks.

I've always been a sucker of a Boy's Own style adventure story so I thought they were both fab. :)

Roy Crossland and Steve Litos like this.
  8. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Given the opening credits describe Ali, who appears to be an Asian man in his thirties, as “Buck’s Friend and No. 1 Boy,” I’m going to go with “Not so well.”

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, I can imagine there might be the odd anachronism to overlook if I ever watch it again. :)

Roy Crossland likes this.
  10. Don Amos

Don Amos Just passing through

Haha completely forgot about this, loved it as a kid but after watching that clip they should have called it Windy Anna Bones. Lapped up anything Harrison Ford related as a kid due to Star Wars, this is how Jake and the Golden Monkey got on my radar too.

Roy Crossland, Steve Litos and carlwm like this.
  11. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Watched Episode 1 of Bring Em Back Alive.

Thoughts (spoilers):

• I think I actual saw the first ep. I remember the "monkey as assassin" in the bathtub with a gun scene.
    • Cindy Morgan!?! Still underrated.
    • Looks like it was shot on film with the outdoor scenes shot on location.
    • Frank takes a 50ft dive off a cliff only to have his fall broken by the bad guy...lol.
    • Bring Em Back Alive refers to wild animals. Frank is an animal trapper for hire (circus, the zoo) and has a big operation.
    • The plot point to find a captured Flying Clipper airplane was glossed over at the end of the ep. No budget to show that effectively back in 1982.

carlwm, Blimpboy and Roy Crossland like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.