British actor Bernard Cribbins RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sound of the Suburbs, Jul 28, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

His 60 episodes as narrator of The Wombles and his 114 episodes of Jackanory plus occasional forays into Playaway are what has endeared him to generations on this side of the Atlantic. His voice is an instant dose of childhood nostalgia.

He's done lots of great work as an actor, but it's his ability to simply tell a story in an engaging way that is the bedrock of his talent.

2. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

R.I.P. to him.

I remember him most from "The Railway Children" which was a family favourite of ours. (I went to Oakworth which is on the Keighley & Worth Valley railway where the story is set & was filmed.) I also liked him in Fawlty Towers. No-one will ever replace him.

3. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I grew up with Bernard on the TV and it's always sad when someone dies who entertained you - and baby-sat you in a way - as a child. I've never heard a bad word about the man, he seemed like a very smart, quick witted and nice person. It's sad to hear of his passing. R.I.P.

4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

One of the first faces I came to recognise on television. I seem to recall him as a regular storyteller on Jackanory (Arabella's Raven, if memory serves). Very versatile actor/entertainer who also excelled in unsympathetic roles (remember his brief role in Hitchcock's Frenzy?).

5. Odradek

Odradek Forum Resident

I like his two hit singles, but my favourite record by him is "Verily". He had the 1966 "Lady Jane" baroque pop sound in 1962!

Sound of the Suburbs likes this.
  6. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

First became aware of him when his 1969-70 TV series was syndicated in the U.S. Then, my love of British pop culture exposed me to much of his other work. A great talent and a gentleman. Condolences to his family and loved ones.

7. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

R.I.P. Bernard

8. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

So long friend! He's been part of so many things I've enjoyed over so many years... :cry:

9. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Good Innings as they say!
    The thing I loved about Bernard was his voice especially as it sounded very much like my beloved Uncle.
    Great storyteller and actor. A part of my youth gone forever.
    RIP.

10. A true national treasure.

11. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

An absolute biz legend. 'Hole In The Ground' and 'Right Said Fred' were on the radio all the time when I was a kid.

The character he played on Dr Who, Wilfred Mott, was endearing too.

Lets hope The Wombles gets aired again in tribute.

Nice words from RTD.

[​IMG]

12. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

I remember him from Alfred Hitchcock’s 1972 classic thriller “Frenzy.”

He played Felix Forsythe, who runs the Globe Pub in London. Forsythe fires Richard Blaney for stealing some booze, and alerts the London police, who suspect him for being the necktie strangler.

13. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

Extraordinary career and a lovely, talented, humble man.

His performance as Bilbo Baggins in the 1979 "Jackanory" version of the Hobbit is even better than Martin Freeman, Ian Holm amd John Le Mesurier's, which really issaying something!

14. vvmax

vvmax Forum Resident

He was great in Doctor Who, the Tennant specials and the Cushing film (which I saw at the BFI a month or two ago in 4k). RIP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.