British and Irish Folk and Folk Rock - One Thread To Bring Them All

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Lurgan Lad

Lurgan Lad Forum Resident

From the Dolores Keane album but features John Faulkner, her husband at that time

speedracer likes this.
  2. Lurgan Lad

Lurgan Lad Forum Resident

Martin Carthy channels his English Folk inner Delta Bluesman in this 9 and half minute dramatic delivery of " The Famous Flower Of Serving Men "

3. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rosemary Lane - Bert Jansch

4. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Happy St. George's Day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Strawhead - Songs From The Book Of England
    Tradition Records, UK, 1980, TSR 0356
    TSR 0356-A-1 Λ
    TSR 0356-B-1 D
    TSR 0356-C-1 Λ C
    TSR 0356-D-1 0 Λ

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

speedracer, notesofachord and carlwm like this.
  5. The Turning Year

The Turning Year Lowering average scores since 2021

I'm not sure whether this is quite the right place as its not pure folk, but contains many English folk elements (I've also posted in the pinned 'obscure artists' thread, but having looked at the other posts I'm not sure it fits there so thought I'd share here anyway!)

I've been listening to Howard Haigh's music recently, an excellent guitarist and composer from Lancaster UK who has worked aceoss a mumber of styles and ensembles throughout his career.
    He's done a lot over the years, including some quite high profile performances in London and for BBC radio. In Bandcamp his tags include classical/Spanish guitar, latino-blues, folk and world.
    I'll link to his most recent work, his 2020 lockdown album Tree Dance, which is quite folky. The various parts were recorded remotely then mixed together.
    It's all rather lovely and uplifting with fantastic guitar playing and great arrangements throughout for various combinations of guitar, flute, cello, accordion, percussion. :)
    TREE DANCE, by Howard Haigh
    [​IMG]

Northernlight, speedracer and carlwm like this.
  6. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

One record that tends to be overlooked when discussing early '70s British and Irish folk-rock is this great one from the Woods Band (formed by Terry and Gay Woods shortly after they left Steeleye Span):

[​IMG]

Also worth a mention is this, from 1976 (more folk, much less rock):

[​IMG]

7. I’ve been spinning The Virgin Prophet demos from Mellow Candle.
    Basically it’s the demos for Swaddling Songs plus a few extra songs. It’s really great.

speedracer likes this.
  8. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Theme song from The Detectorists by Johnny Flynn. The best match of Theme to TV show for a long time

9. MrCJF

And from the same TV show, a one off special effects sequence soundtracked by The Unthanks - a song titled Magpie

10. MrCJF

I'm very pleased to have picked up this album as a triple LP many years ago, even though I didn't see the TV show. It is about how Irish music influenced and was influenced by other music around the world.

My friends looked a the track listing and said "An Irish music compilation with out U2? How useless is that?"

[​IMG]

Details here:
    Bringing It All Back Home (Music From The BBC TV Series) (CD)

11. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Written by erstwhile Red Jasper frontman, Davey Dodds whose own version is to be found on his excellent Kernowcopia album, which came out in 2017. It's a lot more raw than the Unthanks' cover.

speedracer likes this.
  13. EasternSon

EasternSon Forum Resident

14. MrCJF

Thanks for the pointer.

When I watched the TV show with this sequence for the first time, it was a bit of a jaw dropping moment - I'm not used to seeing special effects done so beautifully, and the music was perfect. I also like the slight variations on the main theme across the three series. I hope Mackenzie Crook goes on to direct more TV shows like this.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    speedracer and carlwm like this.
  15. MrCJF

A gentle reminder to label your videos as not all of them are viewable to all members.

speedracer likes this.
  16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've never seen the show. Looks like I need to remedy that. :righton:

The clip was really well done.

speedracer likes this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, what are you posting? I'm getting "video unavailable". Too much good music being put up here to let one slip past. :)

speedracer likes this.
  18. EasternSon

EasternSon Forum Resident

Vashti Bunyan - Diamond Day

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Nice one. Thank you! :righton:

20. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I've been listening to Nic Jones this morning. I first heard this song many years ago and it grabbed me by the heart and didn't let go.

It dates from the 17th century, but I doubt Nic's version will ever be surpassed, so simple, but so beautiful, describing the human condition in 3 minutes.

Nic Jones - "Ten Thousand Miles"

"Oh come back, my own true love,
    And stay a while with me,
    For if I had a friend all on this earth,
    You've been a friend to me."

Northernlight, speedracer and carlwm like this.
  21. Billy Radcliffe

Billy Radcliffe Well-Known Member

22. Billy Radcliffe

Two obscure great albums. Enjoy.

speedracer and carlwm like this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've been on the lookout for this Cooked Oak LP for years. There's currently one for sale on Discogs for £1,077.94! :yikes:

I've also been trying to confirm whether the song The Ballad Of Will Joblin, about the last man to be gibbeted in the UK, is a Crooked Oak original. It's not on either of their records (assuming they only made two) but it was in connection with this song that I first heard about them.

speedracer and Billy Radcliffe like this.
  24. Billy Radcliffe

It's a beautiful album. My friend's copy is signed by Steve Evans himself. He payed a lot less but still a couple of hundred pounds.

Really interesting what you mention about The Ballad of Will Joblin. Where did you hear the song? It doesn't appear on any of their two albums as you said.

carlwm likes this.
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've got it by a band called After Hours who recorded it back in the Nineties.

Prompted by this thread, I had another scour on-line and I've found it on Crooked Oak's second album The Foot Of Wor Stairs, listed as Will Jobling/I'll Never Gan Tae The Dark Cellar Nae Mer and written by band member Andy Dutfield. After Hours somehow lost the second tune and the G from Jobling! Don't know how I missed it previously. :doh:

I'd love for the two Crooked Oak albums to get a CD (or even vinyl) re-release. I'm sure there would be a market for a limited run.

speedracer and Billy Radcliffe like this.