British or American?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shredking92, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shredking92

shredking92 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This has been on my mind a bit recently, so I thought I'd pose the question to everyone here--based on your personal preference and listening habits, would you choose British or American music?

This being purely hypothetical(obviously,) the catch is that the one you don't choose is erased from history, not just unavailable for future listening (for the sake of brevity we'll ignore the fact the a lot of British music wouldn't have been made without influence from American artists and vice versa.) Another stipulation is that music from other countries remains regardless of your choice. Bands like Nicks-era Fleetwood Mac can be included in either.

Obviously this just for fun, but I'm curious to know how you guys see this.

2. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

depends a little on the decade
    60's and 70's both
    89's and 90 's definitely British

Echo, Lance LaSalle and negative1 like this.
  3. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

Most of my favourite music is British so I would have to go with that. Though there is of course quite a lot of American music that rates very highly for me as well.

FJFP, Woozoom939, dougb222 and 7 others like this.
  4. Most of a narrow listening range are going to list the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, etc., and say they prefer British music. Yet they'll be dismissive towards most British music from the 80s onward, except for a few Britpop and synth pop diehards. Whilst also being dismissive, unknowledgeable of all the great US jazz, blues, country, soul, bluegrass, r&b, gospel, rockabilly, etc., that the very narrow '66 -'73 heyday of the Beatles, Stones, Who is built upon, and supported by.

The Blasters - American Music

5. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Brit

Airbus and negative1 like this.
  6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Generally speaking, my tastes are more "American." Bluesier, rootsier, and I've never been a huge fan of super English sounding music such as the Kinks or XTC. I like stuff like the Doors, the Beach Boys, ZZ Top and lots of American singer-songwriters. That being said, my favorite band is British but their sound is deeply American. I speak, of course, of the Stones. Exile on Main St is my favorite album--a deep dive into American roots music recorded by British men primarily in France...

Several of my other favorite artists (Joni Mitchell, Bjork, Leonard Cohen) are neither British nor American.

So... I'll pick American with the caveat that I get to keep the Stones because they are the most American-sounding British band imaginable. :)

7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

American for rock & country.

British/European for folk & classical.

Many exceptions for both!

Jarleboy and Fullbug like this.
  8. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

my record collection is roughly 60 % USA , 25 % British , 15 % Australian / NZ / Europe

Lightworker likes this.
  9. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Looking through my record collection, mostly US I guess, a lot of 60s/70s, lot of jazz... UK for the likes of PiL, Siouxsie and Kate Bush, Clash etc.

When I was in my teens - 20s, I was much more interested in American music than British (mainly due to acid rock, Zappa etc and of course the jazz greats).

Orchestral/classical: worldwide!

10. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

There's British music? Or do you mean who does American music better, Brits or Americans? :D

Yost, Guy E, Saint Johnny and 15 others like this.
  11. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Why not both? meme

12. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I've always been amazed at how, if you really get objective on the subject, the Brits have produced the dominate rock and roll musical entities for decades now. Of course I'm not saying there is not tons of great American music out there - there most certainly is! But, when you start thinking about the true biggest bands, the top dogs are English: The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen, Bowie, Elton John, Kinks, etc. Even great Americans like Hendrix had to go to England to break big in the beginning; folks here just didn't get it right away. Now it's true I'm not up on everything that's brand new, but I'd be willing to bet that too is British heavy. Thing is, in this case I'm referring to music with the most staying power, and that does appear to lean heavily British. I have never really understood why, but I do think it's true. :agree:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Jarleboy, Zongadude, xfilian and 3 others like this.
  13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I abstain. Its a silly exercise. I listen to music, not countries.

14. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Have to be the states. For a lifetime of listening, for me, Dylan and the Dead (not playing together) are it. There is also Jazz where my favorite artists are nearly all from the usa.

joannenugent, frightwigwam and laf848 like this.
  15. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

British. Whilst my favourite band (Jefferson Airplane) is American, by the end of the sixties the British rock scene had far outclassed its American counterpart.

Siegmund and negative1 like this.
  16. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Without American music the jazz I could listen to would be very limited, so I'll say American.

Otherwise, I reject the premise. A man does not live by bread alone.

17. Love both for different reasons. Love what the British have done with blues, rock, soul and vice versa. Great music comes from all of the influences.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Should have been a poll.

My favorite band is British, the Stones, but they were heavily influenced by American music.

After that I listen to mostly American music. I enjoy American roots music, some Country and Blues and rock music influenced by those styles.

19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

If you average out the British and American influences... Canada!

:)

20. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I like tomatoe and I like tomato :)

Mostly British music, some South American and less from the northern part of the Americas.

negative1 likes this.
  21. shredking92

shredking92 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some interesting responses so far, but I'd point out that the hypothetical is full stop, no exceptions. Part of the dilemma is that in choosing British folk you'd be giving up American country, so on and so forth.

You're right, I wish I'd thought to include one.

negative1 likes this.
  22. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

This^

23. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

American. It's not even close. Jazz, R&B, Soul are all superior to...I don't know...skiffle?

Guy E, Ste_S, rocknsoul74 and 12 others like this.
  24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Black Sabbath
    Queen
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Kate Bush
    David Bowie
    The Rolling Stones
    The Cure
    Pink Floyd
    Radiohead
    Iron Maiden

I could go on but what it comes down to is most of the artists / groups I like are British.

25. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I wouldn’t find it hard to pick British music in this scenario.

But make me choose between British music and music from Scandinavia, and I’d be in trouble.

tages, Isradex13, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.