British or American?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shredking92, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

About Us

2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I hear they hold their annual conference in a different phone box every year.

garrincha, jon9091 and dmiller458 like this.
  3. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I cannot choose. I tend to appreciate UK artists more but it would break my heart to lose the Elliott Smith catalog.

But I do like the idea that I have the power to delete things from history. Useful.

4. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

Music is culture. Sadly there is little of it in the new world.
    95% British, 5% American.

carlwm and Talisman954 like this.
  5. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Going to have to go with British. Obviously there are/were some great American bands (Allmans, Santana (can we consider him American?) Doors, Hendrix, etc.), but none of them rate as highly for me as acts like the Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Tull, Stones, Kinks, Bowie, Cream, etc. That said, giants like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck and the other jazz greats make this a lot closer if we expand beyond the confines of rock.

Talisman954 and unclefred like this.
  6. HiResGeek

Rush, Arcade Fire, The Band, Neil Young...those are some heavy-hitters!

lucan_g likes this.
  7. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Some of the artists I listed may not have been exclusively "Folk" artists but were known for having done folk type music at some point in their careers.
    Using wikipdia as a source:

Harry Belafone: (Genres: Calypso, pop, FOLK...) Harry Belafonte - Wikipedia
    The Byrds: (Genres: Rock, pop, FOLK rock...) The Byrds - Wikipedia
    Harry Chapin: (Genres: FOLK, FOLK rock...) Harry Chapin - Wikipedia

My point was that there's a wide variety of American folk music that's hard for other countries to match; I thought that was pretty obvious from my post but I guess I had to spell it out. :shrug:

8. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Yeh, but for some reason Canada for me associated with Nickelback :evil:

9. dmiller458

:laugh:

10. dmiller458

"How did your last record do?" --- Chad Kroeger

11. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Other than the Beatles, all my favorites are American, so I'd probably keep it domestic

Jackson and dmiller458 like this.
  12. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

American no question, but it would be devastating to lose a lot of those great British artists. Still, when I think of all the great jazz, funk, country, hip-hop and of course rock artists I'd lose, Motown and soul and The Velvet Underground and Frank Sinatra and Sly Stone and Charles Mingus and so on, I just can't lose em if I got a choice.

Jackson and unclefred like this.
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

According to the OP it is not confined to Rock and if you choose British or American all of the other music is erased. if yopu choose British there goes jazz, blues, soul, r&B , country, funk. Not to mention without American Blues existing British Rock would take a huge hit.

14. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

American but it would hurt.

15. HiResGeek

Crap. That changes things. How the hell am I supposed to choose between never hearing In A Silent Way or A Love Supreme again, or never hearing Abbey Road or Wish You Were Here?:help:

16. dmiller458

Got mashed potatoes
    Ain't got no T-bone

unclefred likes this.
  17. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

The British get credit for Supertramp and ELO being all-time classic bands but the Americans don't get credit for CCR, the Byrds, Stooges, Velvet Underground, etc., etc?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

Currently, there is so little coming out of the UK that I would probably choose San Francisco over the whole of the UK for music that is being made at the moment.

However, historically, nowhere in the world can beat Bowie and the Smiths, let alone the Clash, New Order and the Beatles.

Despite my years, new music is still more important than anything from the archives, so I am a little surprised to come to the conclusion that I would choose America. Despite Felt, despite Echo and the Bunnymen, despite the Pet Shop Boys, despite punk rock, I think there would be more to look forward to.

carlwm likes this.
  19. qwyjibo

qwyjibo Forum Resident

Despite being British, I would have to go for America as the vast majority of my favourite bands are American. If we were talking by decade, British acts would have the edge for the 1970s and most of the 1980s but American acts easily win every period afterwards.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  20. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

I don't understand that, sorry!

But I'll answer as most people have done, by stating the rough proportions of British / American music that I listen to.

More than 99% of the music I listen to is British or American;
    Of that, about 90% is British (or rather UK-ish since I'm including Northern Ireland);
    Of that, about 95% is English music,
    ...and of that, about 85% is from London and thereabouts.

And before anyone says I'm London-centric, I'm not, I'm from up North; it's just how it is - more music comes out of London than anywhere else in these islands.

21. Jonathan 68

Jonathan 68 Forum Resident

Going by my own music collection there is no way I could choose. Too many essential singers and bands on both sides.

UK: ABC, Adam Ant, Arena, Asia, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Blur, David Bowie, Buggles, Kate Bush, Camel, The Clash, Phil Collins, Elvis Costello, Cream, Culture Club, The Cure, The Darkness, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Depeche Mode, Dire Straits, Thomas Dolby, Duran Duran, Electric Light Orchestra, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Bryan Ferry, The Fixx, A Flock Of Seagulls, Peter Frampton, Peter Gabriel, Gene Loves Jezebel, Genesis, George Harrison, Herman's Hermits, The Hollies, The Human League, Billy Idol, IQ, Iron Maiden, Joe Jackson, James, Jethro Tull, Elton John, Howard Jones, Judas Priest, King Crimson, Kinks, Kula Shaker, Led Zeppelin, John Lennon, Julian Lennon, The Lightning Seeds, Marillion, Paul McCartney/Wings, The Moody Blues, The Move, Muse, New Order, Gary Numan, Oasis, Ozzy Osbourne, Robert Palmer, The Alan Parsons Project, Pendragon, Pet Shop Boys, Pink Floyd, Placebo, Robert Plant, Porcupine Tree, The Psychedelic Furs, Pulp, Queen, Radiohead, The Rolling Stones, Seal, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Slade, The Smiths, Spooky Tooth, Rod Stewart, Sting, Strawbs, Suede, Supergrass, Supertramp, Sweet, T. Rex, Tears For Fears, Thompson Twins, Ultravox, Whitesnake, The Who, The Wombats, XTC, Yes

US: Aerosmith, Alice In Chains, Tori Amos, Angel, Anthrax, David Arkenstone, The Beach Boys, Beastie Boys, Pat Benatar, Berlin, Chuck Berry, Blue Öyster Cult, The Brothers Johnson, James Brown, The Byrds, The Cars, Johnny Cash, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Commodores, Sam Cooke, Alice Cooper, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Devo, Neil Diamond, Dio, The Doobie Brothers, The Doors, Dream Theater, Bob Dylan, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Faith No More, The Flaming Lips, Dan Fogelberg, Foo Fighters, Marvin Gaye, The J. Geils Band, Kevin Gilbert, Go-Go's, Benny Goodman, Grand Funk Railroad, Green Day, Al Green, Sammy Hagar, Hall & Oates, Jimi Hendrix, Don Henley, Buddy Holly, The Isley Brothers, Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5/Jacksons, Rick James, Tommy James & The Shondells, Jane's Addiction, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Jellyfish, Billy Joel, Jesse Johnson, Louis Jordan, Journey, Kansas, The Killers, Carole King, King's X, Kiss, Kool & The Gang, Lenny Kravitz, Lakeside, Huey Lewis & The News, Little Richard, Living Colour, Kenny Loggins, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Madonna, Marilyn Manson, Johnny Mathis, Meat Loaf, John Mellencamp, Metallica, Pat Metheny, MGMT, Glenn Miller, Steve Miller, Missing Persons, Montrose, Mötley Crüe, Harry Nilsson, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Oingo Boingo, Roy Orbison, Pearl Jam, Tom Petty, Elvis Presley, Prince, Queensrÿche, Ramones, The Rascals, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Otis Redding, R.E.M., Lionel Richie, Diana Ross/Supremes, Run-D.M.C., Todd Rundgren, Seals & Crofts, Bob Seger, Simon & Garfunkel, Sly & The Family Stone, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Spinners, Spirit, Spock's Beard, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Squier, Starz, Steely Dan, Stone Temple Pilots, Styx, Matthew Sweet, System Of A Down, James Taylor, Three Dog Night, The Time, Tool, The Turtles, Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Weezer, The White Stripes, Barry White, Stevie Wonder, Y&T, ZZ Top

A bit of both: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, The Monkees, The Police, Rainbow, Transatlantic

Andy Smith and carlwm like this.
  22. dmiller458

Now why can't commercial radio play that kind of variety?

qwyjibo and carlwm like this.
  23. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Tough choices!

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That would make me happy enough. :)

unclefred likes this.
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Newbie!

dmiller458 likes this.