British or American?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shredking92, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Depending on your music genre of choice, we're actually having a bit of a cup-runneth-over scenario on this side of the Atlantic. Lots of lovely music being released. Not that you'd know from our popular media.

Pretty sure that the situation is similar on your side of the pond.

BluesOvertookMe and Andy Smith like this.
  2. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Hungarian Punk.

zphage, john lennonist and dmiller458 like this.
  3. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Tons of wonderful british music, but when push comes to shove I vote for american (blues, jazz, rock 'n' roll, '60s garage, soul & funk, alt.rock, hiphop, etc.) I gotta give it to the britons though, considering the size of the country, they're certainly punching above their weight.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

1920's – 1950's = U.S.

1960's – 1970's = British

1980's = uggh -- dislike most of the decade, synth drums, etc. = tie between the countries

1990's – Today = U.S.

5. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I see what you mean but ultimately no U.S. music = no Hendrix.

No British music does not necessarily mean no Hendrix, just no experience with him

6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

British.

With one hell of a carve out for the Grateful Dead.

john lennonist likes this.
  7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Have been too busy to keep up with this thread since seeing it a couple days ago, but wanted to throw my hat in...

British! I have the big guys (Fabs/Stones/Who/etc.) that have seen success on this side of the pond, like most folks. But it’s the many lesser acts that seal the deal for me. I barely know ANY folks in North America familiar with Paul Weller, Paul Heaton, Thea Gilmore, Richard Thompson, Badly Drawn Boy, Lloyd Cole and on and on. Costellos, Claptons, Diffords, Tillbrooks ... hundreds and hundreds of cds from names big (Zeppelin/Floyd) and small (Amy MacDonald, The Wonder Stuff). I don’t even know how I ever stumbled upon lots of it...

Love my Dylan/Fogerty, like my Springsteen/Petty/Hendrix/Hiatt, but it’s not really that close of a battle for me.

8. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

It’s kind of like the Olympics— some countries with small relatively homogeneous populations will excel at certain sports, but not so much at others, or maybe not even have teams entered at all. The larger, more diverse countries will have strong, but necessarily not dominant, showings across the medals board.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Balkan.

10. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

As per the rules of the thread, I'd choose American, even though a lot of my favourite bands/artists would then be "erased". It is simply that there are a far greater number of American records than there are British records.

On the bright side I'd never have to hear Herman's Hermits again.

bzfgt and carlwm like this.
  11. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Hands down = British

Northwind likes this.
  12. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I once did a thread w/a similar title but it wasn't about choosing music. It was about Brit slang terms I don't get, etcetera, and open to Brits asking about the Stated too. It was meant to be a long-running franchise thread but after a couplish pages it slipped away and I can't find it. Entering a possible title just got me this. Can someone please help me find my thtead?

13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Click on messages, start at the beginning :D
    [​IMG]

zphage likes this.
  14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/american-british-word-differences.893141/

WLL and c-eling like this.
  15. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Let's see:

Blues- American
    Rhythm & Blues- American
    '70s era Country- American
    Southern Rock- American
    Sensitive singer-songwriter types- American
    Crooners- American
    Progressive Rock- British
    Classic Rock- Toss up

Did I miss anything?

16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

It was the British Invasion (aka, Beatles) that got me hooked, and other British bands followed suite.

Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, David Bowie, Elton John, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Saxon, etc. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of them....

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  17. County50

County50 Forum Resident

I love Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Cream, Moody Blues and Elton John, but there is no way I could live without listening to the Grateful Dead, the Doors or the Allman Brothers Band ever again. Nope, not ever going to happen.

bzfgt likes this.
  18. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

I love Camel, Caravan, Genises, King Crimson and Renaissance but I could live without Rush.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

English

20. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

In all seriousness, they're much too similar for me to decide.

American obviously wins for hip hop and soul, but rock and pop could go either way.

21. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

50’s American
    60’s British
    70’s Both
    80’s Both
    90’s American (via CMT Europe only)
    Not listened to chart music after late 80’s.

22. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

I probably listen to more British bands than US bands, but most of the stuff I listen to these days seems to come from Scandinavia.

23. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I like a lot of types of music including a lot from America that it would be painful to lose, but as two of my favourite genres are prog and British folk/folk rock I'm going to have to go with British. I'm glad that real life doesn't make me decide between them!

carlwm likes this.
  24. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

American

bzfgt likes this.
  25. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

and Hibbing, MN is damn close to Canada - which just shows how absurd this whole discussion truly is. British and American and Canadian music is all inextricably intertwined. If we even limit it to 'if you had to live with only listening to' one or the other, I'd pick American, but if we truly try to imagine it being as if the other never existed then neither one would be anything remotely like what they are now. Make it 'black or white' and it might help to see how weird this premise is.

Mr. Pleasant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.