Broken CD Digipak Solution

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thnkgreen, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

Many years ago, when Microsoft was still producing Windows XP, I purchased a software add-on called Plus! that had additional media goodies for pc. What I remember about that item was the way that the disc was held within its' packaging, by a plug of rubber within the disc. I got to thinking, could this be the solution to broken digipaks? For instance, I have a Billie Holiday digipak with a broken spindle that will not hold the cd in place. What if I were to completely break out all of the existing spindle, then purchase (from where - that's the big question) rubber plugging that is 15 cm and glue that plug into the location of the removed spindle?

I found a picture of the Plus! packaging that I am referring to.

[​IMG]

Rodant Kapoor and MGW like this.
  2. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

15mm not 15cm, I suspect!

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

4. thnkgreen

Yes, I mean mm. Sorry about that :laugh:

5. thnkgreen

I am not sure how I'd be able to use a replacement, as the rest of the tray is still glued into the packaging.

[​IMG]

6. thnkgreen

7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The answer is, very carefully. :)

But obviously, different packages will present different issues.

thnkgreen likes this.
  8. thnkgreen

For a moment I thought I had the solution - earplugs. They are a soft material, and almost the right diameter. Just a little bit too small. I thought I could take an earplug and cut it down to the right height and then glue that into place. Now I am wondering, do they make different diameter earplugs? Surely some people have larger diameter ear holes than other people.

9. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Well, there's these...

Professional CD DVD Spiders Centres Middles Inserts Transparent SelfAdhesive | eBay

#Edited to add they can also be called rosettes or hubs

I have replaced digipak trays but it's very hard to get hold of replacement trays in the UK last time I looked. So the above may be handy if you're in the same boat.
    I've had varying success on this because sometimes it's gel type glue holding the tray (good!) and other times it can be something akin to super glue (bad!!). I've used a hairdryer to get it going sometimes but it's all down to the glue.
    Good luck...

Ham Sandwich and MGW like this.
  10. thnkgreen

Thank you! I was looking for something like these online recently and couldn't find them.

When In Rome likes this.
  11. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Amazon UK has them also, albeit in larger pack sizes (50 was the smallest pack that I could see quickly):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01899I...olid=3LJKGBSUNGRWI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075H1W...olid=3LJKGBSUNGRWI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Full marks to @thnkgreen for raising this issue. It is one that has been 'troubling' me for a while as getting the trays out of a digipack (as opposed to a conventional jewel case) is nigh on impossible.

thnkgreen likes this.
  12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Using an X-Acto knife, I have been able to cut through the glue that holds the plastic tray. Go slow and carefully. Then replace the tray using very small drops of clear elmer's glue.

13. thnkgreen

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  14. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

15. thnkgreen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.