Bruce Hornsby recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Co-Stanza, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the first two albums he did with the Range, both of which are very good, and need more.

In addition to album recommendations, please recommend individual songs from those albums as well.

No live albums, please.

Eric_Generic and Purple like this.
  2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I can’t help you. I own and like everything that he’s done. Would recommend you buy them all chronologically and enjoy :edthumbs::cheers:

3. monotone

monotone I know noothing.

Harbor Lights and Hot House are two of my favourites. A strong start to the solo phase.

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

A Night on the Town. Across the River rules, and has Jerry Garcia on lead guitar.

5. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Jerry's solo - particularly the first couple bars - on pastures of plenty on the harbor lights album is one of the most uplifting moments in music.

6. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Those are all I have- never got into his other stuff. I stopped at Spirit Trail. Nothing matches the style of his first two albums but some like his jazzier stuff.

7. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The title track to Harbor Lights might be my favorite Hornsby song, and the album might be my favorite of his, too.

It's not for everyone, but I love his 2007 jazz-trio album, Camp Meeting. I wish he'd do another.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'spider fingers' is on 'harbor lights'....it is hornsby's best song.

get them all, if you can. the box set is not cheap, and may be OOP, i'm not sure.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  9. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

It depends on your taste in music.
    His first 2 albums are 2 of the greatest albums of my lifetime.
    He then changed direction to a type of music I can’t stand.
    But if you love those early albums and expect his whole career to follow that direction you will be sorely disappointed.
    It’s always a mystery to me why he changed so dramatically, and lost his mainstream fan base.
    However some artists want to follow the direction they believe in, and I guess he did.

Purple, Todd W. and George Co-Stanza like this.
  10. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

The album with Ricky Skaggs is sublime.

George Co-Stanza and lucan_g like this.
  11. Harbour Lights is a great album.Best songwriting he ever did.
    If you can find it at a good price the Intersections 1985-2005 box set is an enjoyable journey through his music.

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Here Come The Noisemakers is the best thing ever released with his name on it.

13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I guess I'm the opposite. I like a lot of the songs on those early albums, but much prefer the way he started playing them during the 90's and beyond.

14. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

"Spider Fingers" is the first track on Hot House, his next album. (Which I don't have and need to check out.)

15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:tiphat::doh:

sometimes the mind just does not co-operate

George Co-Stanza and PhoffiFozz like this.
  16. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

His most recent album, Rehab Reunion, is very good, though he only plays the dulcimer on it. Give the man credit for always trying new things.

"M.I.A. in M.I.A.M.I" is a great tune. Fans of the Miami Dolphins of old should enjoy the Marino and Shula shout-outs:

The MEZ and George Co-Stanza like this.
  17. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Another nice one from Rehab Reunion:

18. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Spirit Trail is his White Album. A masterpiece.

19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

His electronica-ish album Big Swing Face wouldn't be near the top of my list of recommended Hornsby albums, but it's decent enough as a one-off experiment and yielded this gem:

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  20. > Bruce Hornsby recommendations?

Go hear him live, if he's ever in your neck of the woods. My wife and I heard him at Wolftrap last year -- first time ever, we just went on a lark really (more out of her interest, than mine) -- and it was one of the best concerts I'd been to in years. EVERYONE in his band was listening to each other, with tons of sympathetic give and take between all. I don't think we owned a single CD of his went we went, but I'm sure we'll go hear him again next chance we have.

Purely in terms of "exceeding expectations" -- I would have to rank him up there in one of the 10 best concerts I've seen in my last 35 years of concert-going (I'll be 50 next month).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i saw him years ago when was touring with bonnie raitt, and he was great then too.

i'd love to see him again someday.

The MEZ and George Co-Stanza like this.
  22. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

You might want to check out live recordings of The Grateful Dead around after 1988. By 1990, I'd say that was Bruce's most expressive period. There are some really special shows out there. I you can find a 1990 Berlin, Germany show recording...that's Bruce at his best, IMO.

ARK, The MEZ and George Co-Stanza like this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Bruce's time with the Dead (and Jerry in particular) from fall 1990 - spring 92 had a massive impact on his playing, IMHO. It really freed him up to stretch things out. I'd bet it also helped give him confidence in his improvisational chops, which of course culminated in that jazz record -- Camp Meeting -- which is phenomenal.

24. I think the two best records in his entire catalogue are Hot House and A Night On the Town. Those are essential listening, especially Hot House, which is just spectacular.

Thorpy, The MEZ and George Co-Stanza like this.
  25. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some good recs so far. Keep 'em coming. :)

The MEZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.