Bruce Soord (Pineapple Thief) 2nd solo album "All This Will Be Yours" (Oct 25/19)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, Aug 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just announced, and it sounds like it'll be a very interesting release:

Vinyl
    CD
    Deluxe 2CD + DVD

Deluxe set for me, I like the acoustic version concept, and of course the 5.1 mixes make it pretty much a must have for me:
    "Taking elements from the recent musical developments with The Pineapple Thief, as well as an ambition to experiment with his own sound, All This Will Be Yours is an intensely personal album from Bruce Soord.

Described by Soord as an observational record, it is inspired by the joy felt by the birth of his third child juxtaposed by the local deprivation in his hometown. Whilst on walks in Yeovil, Bruce took field recordings as he witnessed the ‘incarcerated souls’ shuffling to local drug den ‘number 158’, the screaming children on their commute to school, the incessant sounds of sirens, and an old man singing as he walked past his house.

The sound of All This Will Be Yours features contemporary production elements, alongside acoustic guitars delicately layered with samples. Ever present are Soord's familiar vocals, which deliver an emotive and accessible view into his contrasting feelings when writing about austerity whilst his tranquil newborn dozed in the studio.

The audio has been recorded as two continuous linear pieces to replicate the pleasure of listening to an album on vinyl, and was mastered by fellow The Pineapple Thief member Steve Kitch."

[​IMG]

eelkiller and ian christopher like this.
  2. DesertChaos

And, now a track from the album has been posted - "The Solitary Path of a Convicted Man." Good sounding track, easily recognizable as Bruce.

3. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I'm in and looking forward to the 5.1 DVD. Would have preferred SACD or BDA.

4. DesertChaos

My deluxe set is on the way, and a video for the title track is now posted too:

5. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

I've spent a good bit of time with this album since release day, just soaking it in and enjoying hearing all the little details reveal themselves with each successive listen.

For those of you who might be interested, I've made the album the subject of a blog review, offering thoughts on how the music compares with Bruce's day job in The Pineapple Thief.

Hope you find it interesting, especially if you're thinking of buying this new album.

Bruce Soord – All this Will Be Yours (2019) (*****)

granata, Tony-A, denesis and 2 others like this.
  6. DesertChaos

I ripped the 2 cd's from the deluxe set onto the ol' iPod and have had the album in heavy rotation while in the car. The songs are very well crafted and very well-suited to the more minimal production style. Bruce seems to be on a creative roll lately. I hopefully will have time to spin the 5.1 mix again this weekend at home - now that I'm more familiar with the material I'm really wanting to get more immersed in it.

7. DesertChaos

It's in backorder status at the moment, but ImportCDs has the deluxe set for $38.99 - use the "TENOFF" code gets (you guessed it, 10% off) it down even more. If anyone is thinking about the set it may worth trying to see if they come through.

8. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

looking forward to seeing The Pineapple Thief in Los Angeles next month.

Will give this a spin later today - from the YouTube link here, Soord's voice is in fine form.

It's rather nice to hear a steady drumbeat backing up his progressions. Who is playing drums on this? (doesn't sound like Gavin).

DesertChaos likes this.
  9. DesertChaos

Aside from a "found voice on the street" everything on the album is just Bruce.

ian christopher likes this.
  10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Was there a deluxe edition of the debut solo album? Definitely grabbing this new one.

11. DesertChaos

No deluxe of the first one per se, but the pre-orders from Burning Shed did get a download-only 5.1 mix. I'd hoped that maybe he would add that mix as a bonus on the new deluxe set, and maybe that would have happened if they had done a blu-ray instead of just a DVD.

eelkiller likes this.
  12. eelkiller

Okay thx. I have been getting the deluxe for the recent Pineapple Thief stuff, will not miss this new solo one. I like what I have heard so far.

13. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Just been listening to the surround version at Good volume what a great album.

forget that its just a DVD and not a Blu ray it sounds great and pretty dynamic.

Beefalo and eelkiller like this.
  14. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

Am I the only one on this forum nerdy enough to think "What, the curtains?" when I saw the album title? I'd imagine not, but I didn't see anyone mention it yet.

Miles1968 likes this.
  15. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

This album is fantastic. It’s very dense in its subject matter, diverse in style, and a very reasonable length.

eelkiller likes this.
  16. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Forum Resident

Ordered the deluxe cd set. Looking forward to the entire album and the 5.1!! Will be seeing PT in two weeks in LA.( not that any of this will be played!!)

DesertChaos likes this.
  17. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

I just listened to the whole thing in headphones, and now the only remaining question is which format I'd like to order. Great flow and production.

18. manco

manco Forum Resident

Is he basically a poor man's Steven Wilson?

19. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I will have to check this out. Just saw The Pineapple Thief the other day in Toronto. Great show!

manco likes this.
  20. eelkiller

I don't believe that is accurate.

21. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

I believe there are connections between the two bands, but I prefer Bruce's stuff over that of SW. I expect that I am in the minority on this site.

22. manco

manco Forum Resident

I think he's talented, but lacking that certain jena se qua that Wilson has.

23. Grahamstuartcanada

Yeah, I understand that you (and others might prefer SW ) I am just saying I would rather listen to Bruce's output than SW's. I enjoy Pineapple thief- more than porcupine tree, and solo Bruce more than "hand cannot erase" or "Raven". Could be my tastes are simpler...

24. Grahamstuartcanada

Wished I had been there

25. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

I'd guess that plenty of Bruce's fans (myself included) would readily admit that by this point, his résumé reads like a parody of Steven Wilson. And that was before he got Gavin to join PT (that's Pineapple Thief, not Porcupine Tree). The new Pineapple Thief album will be called Versions of the Truth. So that answers the question posed at the beginning of SW's To The Bone. I guess Steven Wilson is the icy clear stream Bruce dreams about drinking from. :)

manco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.