Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Just came across a Japanese import CD called Live Collections from 1987. Tracks are 1) For You 2) Rosalita 3) Fire and 4) Incident On 57th Street. It says that For You and Incident On 57th Street are not in the Springsteen Live 75 - 85 Box Set....Have they been released since the Box original came out?

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Just on the “Live Collections” EP you refer to and via download. That is a great version of “Incident...”

3. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

That track recorded about a 30 minute drive from my house :) I think I've lost a little bit of my hearing in that building...

4. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Maybe. I seem to remember the community being disappointed by it. The documentary is good. There's a show. And no audio, no bonus tracks. Especially after the next two, it feels minor.

NYMets41 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  5. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Remastered albums aren't necessarily superior to their original releases and, in the case of Born to Run, I already had an original CD as well as Sony's 1994 Mastersound "gold" disc issue so I was much more interested in the bonus content. To that end, it was disappointing that they didn't include any bonus audio. A second audio disc of outtakes (minimally the acoustic Thunder Road - one of the most glaring omissions from the Tracks box set) and live cuts (particularly the '75 tour versions of E Street Shuffle and Kitty's Back) could have been included. In fact, a bonus CD with just those three tracks would have been nearly LP length.

As for the Hammersmith video, I was ecstatic to have it, as there was no officially released complete concert from the golden era prior to that point. My only criticism was with the lighting but, then again, it's rare to find a well lit concert film of any act from that era. I did rip the audio from the DVD the day I bought it so my purchase of the Hammersmith CD a few months later was more in deference to the collector element of my personality than to any practical need.

The documentary was pretty good (certainly a huge step up from the frequently cringe-inducing Blood Brothers documentary from almost a decade earlier) but I did laugh at Nils Lofgren's and Patti Scialfa's appearances in the documentary, as they weren't there for the recording of the album or the ensuing tour.

superstar19 likes this.
  6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

It wasn't a "super deluxe edition" just some (excellent) bonus content and the price reflected that, way cheaper than the others.

Anyway this thread is supposed to be about downloads. Wonder what is coming next week?

7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

Nineteen posts of back and forth arguing deleted due to another member referring to others as "Suckers", amongst these replies but not all, were one or two other small minded members who agreed with him.

Please refrain any further attacks of this kind otherwise warnings will be issued.

Stone Turntable, rcrawley and PJayBe like this.
  8. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

‘75 Roxy CD shipped yesterday!

J_D__ likes this.
  9. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Agreed. That BB documentary had the joyous vibe of 7 guys about to have a colonoscopy.

majorlance and graveyardboots like this.
  10. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Did you get an email alert? I contacted Nugs on a few occasions because of the excessive delay and they told me anyone who ordered the Roxy 75 show would be receiving this week.

11. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

dont know,but thats the word, maybe one on each side.
    after taking lessons from bernard purdie. I didnt know about these lessons that
    bruce made him take, bruce not being the best of guitar players.

12. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Somebody please explain to Bruce (re: the making of Nebraska) that the term is "boom box." In 3 separate books he keeps calling it a "beat box."

13. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Yes, I received an email alert yesterday. CD is due to arrive Friday.

14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

How do you rate the Mastersound Gold against the other versions, sound-wise?

15. graveyardboots

I was hoping for a startling improvement over the original disc but, in truth, I'm not sure the Mastersound is any better at all. I subsequently purchased the 2005 30th anniversary edition and the 2014 Album Collection Vol. 1 edition. Of the remasters, the 2014 is my favorite (that's the one in which the tapes received the Plangent treatment) but Born to Run is not an album that's ever going to win any awards for sound quality. Tremendous songwriting and performances, of course...

Stone Turntable and bobcat like this.
  16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I think you saved me some money there....:)

graveyardboots likes this.
  17. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

The blue collar singer also knew a kid back in high school that threw a “speed ball” by ya.

twicks likes this.
  18. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

As a baseball fanatic that line has always really bothered me. I am sure that there are places where a 'fastball" is referred to as a "speed ball," but still...

boe and NYMets41 like this.
  19. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

My copies of Roxy and No nukes arrived yesterday. I have not been purchasing that many of these releases. I was expecting CDRs. Surprised that they were real CDs. :shrug:

C6H12O6 likes this.
  20. graveyardboots

That's interesting. Had I known they were going to be factory pressed CDs, I would have been tempted to order the actual discs. I suspect that if I were to order them now, they would arrive as CD-Rs. If I recall correctly, fans who purchased the MetLife 2016 bundle were surprised to discover that they had been treated to factory pressed CDs. But after that first batch shipped, subsequent orders of the set were shipped as CD-Rs.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    C6H12O6 likes this.
  21. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

I just recently got the Grand Rapids '05 show and was pleased to discover they were silvers.

Ordered the Houston '78 show in the same order; they were CD-R's, and were broken.

You win some...

22. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Interesting, they even have matrix codes that reference the show dates. The first Roxy disc is "8258-BS751018D1"

23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

It's clear from the mix that this was definitely intended for the box set at one point, and must have been pulled late in the process. Despite the fact that it was recorded at Nassau Coliseum in 1980, the audience was basically removed and replaced with one that sounds significantly smaller - exactly what was done with "4th of July, Asbury Park" (recorded a couple days later at the same venue) on the box set. For that one, it's clear they wanted it to "fit in" more with the (mostly) Roxy tracks that surround it. So presumably "Incident..." would have been placed somewhere in there too (presumably before "Rosalita").

superstar19 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  24. My copies of both of these have shipped according to my Nugs account but I have not received a shipping email.This is the first time this has happened.

I have received factory pressed silvers of a number of these.I have a theory that they do an initial run of CDs and then subsequently move to cd-r's.Only a theory though.

Muzyck and budwhite like this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's kinda silly, but also "fastball" just wouldn't sound as good there. I actually googled to see if there were any early takes floating around, wondering if maybe he'd started with "fastball" and had the same thought I did, but...nope. Dude just isn't that into sports. :laugh: