Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Plus a few more off The Rising, and Devils and Dust, much of Magic etc

walrus likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You claimed he put on a show that included all his hits and then moved that goalpost when challenged.

You have your own definition of what Bruce's hits are and will change it to suit your argument.

You're determined to continue to claim that Bruce plays a "hits concert" at stadiums despite evidence to the contrary...

kouzie and bob chabot like this.
  3. Oatsdad

You could make that claim for a lot of artists. Point remains that the Bruce shows in question included many, many songs that would not be familiar to the casual fans artists need to fill football stadiums.

There's a reason most artists play it very safe when they're in massive venues...

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I liked his version a lot. Unexpected rendition of an unexpected Springsteen song choice.

5. walrus

That's most likely what it is. It's not "hip-hop" at all, just him building songs around drum loops and keyboards like "Philadelphia" rather than the typical rock band sound, but I imagine the songs themselves weren't that much of a departure. I doubt it will be great, but I still hope we hear some of it one day. Certainly he recorded many more songs in the 90's post-Other Band tour than we've been privy to.

Mr. D likes this.
  6. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I think there are a couple more good songs on The Rising and mostly good songs on D&D and Magic, but nothing that would be in his Top 50, forty of which are pre-1990.

budwhite and superstar19 like this.
  7. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

Except I didn't say that at all. What I said was they have all taken plenty of risks live. You are entitled to your opinion that Springsteen takes huge risks live, I disagree, but I do agree that your opinion doesn't make it a fact. Over and out.

8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

OK, tough call to get in his top 50 though, he has a large number of great songs from thw 70s and 80s.

9. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Back to the Live Archive. I was listening to Tempe 80 today. Remarkable how good it sounds. That, and Passaic 78 are easily the best sounding shows thus far. Really hope Bob C gets the nod for Winterland 78, Jersey 81 or any other future classic shows.

(Also hope we get a different night of the Nassau 80 stand with Bob at the knobs)

JSKC, Flaming Torch, ExHead and 4 others like this.
  10. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

My educated guess; any Bob C mix is slated for an official release.
    If it ends up as a Nugs only release, plans have been changed since he did the mix

walrus likes this.
  11. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

You're probably right.
    But with a net worth approaching half a billion, Bruce should pay Bob. At least for the 'classic' vintage shows. What happened with Nassau was a disaster.

ExHead, superstar19 and budwhite like this.
  12. uncle

uncle Senior Member

I agree that Bob C mixes are saved for official non archive releases. That is why the Passaic show must have been considered as an official release at some point by itself or as part of a bigger set with the whole stand. I can't imagine him not doing all three shows at the same time.

Remember the mix was done like a year or so before the show was actually released. It doesn't make sense to just pick and mix only the middle of the 3 shows as the sole release. Like why that show over the other 2? It is awesome but holds no significant historical value compared to other dates and the show wasn't better than the other 2 really. It is my favorite archive release by far but it is weird that he mixed it unless some larger plan was in the works at one time.

budwhite likes this.
  13. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yeah, at this point with album sales being what they are (dead), I'm not sure that an "official" Columbia release would sell much more than a Nugs archive release. I also expect that Bob C mixed all three Passaic shows. I don't care who mixes post 1999 shows or 1970's soundboards (ie. Albany 77), but for pre-1981 multi tracks...please give them to Bob.

14. uncle

uncle Senior Member

I agree totally.

15. INSW

INSW Senior Member

BOB!BOB!BOB!

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  16. walrus

So absurd they didn't take advantage of the free money these kind of releases would've generated on CD had they been released anytime between 1995 and 2010 or so. Yeah, they did Hammersmith, but that doesn't really count, since it was released months after anyone interested already had it on DVD. Just incompetence all around, there.

budwhite likes this.
  17. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

thats right thats what i said, his 'hits' not his top 2o chart hits. you know like bob plays his hits, blowin in he wind and watchtower that i dont think even were released as singles. then you brought in the top 20 straw man.

18. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

the rising is by far his worst album.

19. Oatsdad

One more time: you're making up your own definition of what a "Bruce hit" is.

You also completely ignore the fact that "Thunder Road" and "Born in the USA" - arguably 2 of his 5 most famous songs - are nowhere to be seen.

But hey, if you wanna continue to believe that the show in question was nothing but hits, go for it! :sigh:

20. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i didnt use your definition of what i meant by a bruce hit.

im not going to now argue as to which are his 'most famous songs' lol as i really have no idea.

21. Oatsdad

So you have no idea what Bruce's most famous songs are but you've spent all this time lecturing about how the listed setlist is "all the hits"?

Does.

Not.

Compute!

BTW, this "signature song" thread I ran concluded "Born to Run" was Bruce's best-known song.

2nd and 3rd places? "BITUSA" and "Thunder Road".

So in that hit-packed show, Bruce failed to play 2 of his 3 most famous songs as judged right here on the SHF.

To be fair, he did perform massive crowdpleasers like "41 Shots" and "NYC Seranade"! :laugh:

Girlpower, kouzie and Dr. Zoom like this.
  22. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

no i dont know which his 'most famous songs are', never have even thought about it.
    41 shots is very famous, lot of press.

23. Oatsdad

So how in the heck can you then proclaim what "Bruce hits" are and that the show included all of them??? :wtf:

24. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

LOL because ive never claimed his hits are his 'most famous songs'.
    just like i never claimed his hits were his 'top 2o songs'

25. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Is this what it was like when the Harvard and Yale debate teams got together in the old days?

budwhite and INSW like this.