Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

Glad to have it out there - For whatever reason, on the videos I think I can hear Graham and David better on Hungry Heart. It seems Nils is mixed or mic'd higher on the released recording.

But they are probably from the same source, and maybe my eyes/ears are playing some kind of Cognitive Trick on me? Anyway, I do like having it out, but it's not the CSNY (Crosby, Springsteen,Nash and Young) of my dreams:)

2. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I can't stop listening to this, and think it's the best live album I've ever heard:

[​IMG]

Which other Archive releases come close?

3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

In terms of soundmix and mastering? Only Tempe 1980.
    Roxy '78 is my favorite show from the series. Wembley '81 and the two late december '80 shows are also great

xj32 and peskypesky like this.
  4. peskypesky

thank you!

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Everything seems OK socially with Appel/Bruce/Landau. Appeal got to proof read the autobiography chapters before printed and hung out backstage at Buffalo 2009 where they did the 1973 album cover to cover.

peskypesky likes this.
  6. JulesV

JulesV Well-Known Member

Quite aware of the timeline. Thanks. My point was that this show re-opened a door that had been closed for a very long time. I didn't mean to imply that he stepped through it immediately. Even Christic was four years away. And Joad another five. But this show marked a moment of possibility without the big sound.

7. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I was in my friend's car (who has E street radio) over the weekend and listened to the Bridge show.
    It's a good enough performance, but I can't imagine listening to it more than once.
    Those were heady days for Bruce as I remember. A couple weeks before Live 75/85 came out.

uncle likes this.
  8. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Tempe is close, but this release is the Holy Grail of live Springsteen recordings (so far).

9. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Superb release. I can only imagine what the proposed proper release could have been, seeing as its mixed by clearmountain

Tempe 80, the version which marries the blu ray rip and the nugs release, makes for a stunning live album too

JSKC, peskypesky, Bossyman and 3 others like this.
  10. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yes, that's the one I was referring to. Tempe and Passaic are neck and neck, really. Not surprisingly, both mixed by Bob C.
    It's funny, I was listening to the Rolling Stones 1973 Brussels Affair release the other day, which was also mixed by Bob. Far and away the best sounding Rolling Stones live show ever recorded. Charlie's drum kit sounds like it's right in front of you. The guy is worth every penny.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    JSKC, Mike D'Aversa, J_D__ and 5 others like this.
  11. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

The last 15-20 years will amaze you. Don't

12. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I doubt Appel is sitting on a lot of tapes. He was still Bruce's manager with the Tower Theater '75 multitracks were made, and those are in Bruce's vault.

Ed Sciaky, the WMMR DJ, had a number of soundboard recordings from the Born to Run tour. Whether those were matters or dubs I do not know. I don't think he had the pre-FM master of the Main Point concert that was broadcast on WMMR.

Frankly, I thought all the multitrack recordings from 1988 and earlier would have been released by now, and that we'd start getting the best of the soundboards. But we're not even close. Heck, we don't even have the first night of Winterland '78.

peskypesky, budwhite and DavidD like this.
  13. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

cbs recorded the tower theatre, so that comes from their vault

question is does Appel hold any pre 1975 tapes not recorded by CBS?
    no question he would have to be paid.

peskypesky likes this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

One suspects Appel sold off his personal stash of items to Springsteen’s camp years ago (presuming he had any).

peskypesky and DavidD like this.
  15. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yes, supposedly when Bruce bought the remainder of his catalog back from mike in 1983, he got everything back, Live tapes included.

peskypesky likes this.
  16. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

from what i understand Bruce bought back his publishing from Appel. Thats all.
    I think he still has points on the first three albums, but thats with Sony not Bruce.

peskypesky likes this.
  17. peskypesky

I've attained a pretty nice recording of the 9-21-78 show and am going to see how good I can get it to sound with eq and mastering.
    Still looking for the 19th, which I've heard was the best of the three shows.

teodoro likes this.
  18. dee

dee Senior Member

Didn't know that...cool...

19. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Well, they have the other 2 Passaic shows mixed, mastered and ready to go.
    My guess is Nugs will release them the month after they release a dud and everyone's complaining.
    (Like now)

budwhite and peskypesky like this.
  20. peskypesky

In addition to his incredibly impressive mixing resume, he also played bass in the Dead Boys!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  21. peskypesky

really??

22. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Well, nobody can be 100% sure, but its pretty much universally understood that a few years ago BC dusted off and mixed all 3 Passaic shows for a possible official Sony release that never occurred.

23. peskypesky

aha....so there are existing multitracks of all three shows?
    Wonder why they didn't release the 19th.

And what possible reason could there be for Sony NOT releasing a 3-show box set? These things boggle my mind.

redsock likes this.
  24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Plenty of reasons. But the simplest might just be a combination of classic BruceCo overthinking and timing. It may have been on the agenda, then gotten pushed back to do The River stuff, and then pushed back to do Broadway...or who knows.

Bruce can't do anything simple, like Dylan's recent live show vault dumps, so it's possible the overthinking of what to do with those three shows just eventually resulted in everyone giving up and them moving to the archive series. The other nights will come out eventually, I have no doubt.

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

(A follow-up thought: it's also possible Sony was so-so on the idea of releasing shows already readily available to fans in excellent SBD quality. Certainly the time to do this and have it be ridiculously profitable was, like, 20 years earlier, not in the mid-2010's. The archive series is geared towards hardcore fans, a retail release, even of vintage live stuff, is still probably going to be designed to nab some big, but slightly less diehard fans, so it's also totally possible there was some disagreements or lack of clarity on direction there)

OptimisticGoat likes this.