Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Exactly. How many sales of a 2012 show can they expect?
    What about the muiltitrack recordings that made up Live 75-85?
    I just picked up the 84 and 88 shows for $7 each. Unless there are new releases with stellar sound quality, I think I'm done. I've got good sounding boots to last a lifetime. If they can't bother to properly mine their vault, I don't need to support them.

Jimmy B., budwhite and melstapler like this.
  2. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Anyone notice there is a MQA option to download this time?

3. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

It's a shame that they didn't include the acoustic pre-show set.

windfall and FourWalledWorld like this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Another contemporary period show. Pass. I think his live shows were superior during the 1970's and 1980's. That is the era I want to hear (plus something from the Joad tour and the 1993 tour).

superstar19 and Rubberpigg like this.
  5. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Very disappointing release. This show is no different than any of the other dozens and dozens of shows from 2014 -2017. Please release prime ESB shows!!! Anything 1988 and prior preferable in the 70's but I will take the 80's too. The modern era is WAY over-represented at this point.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  6. uncle

uncle Senior Member

I noticed this and I noticed this is also an option on the latest Metallica Live releases. From my admittedly limited understanding, isn't this format best utilized for streaming? What would the benefit be to download an show in MQA over Flac-HD?

7. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I would say none, but I'm sure Meridian would disagree.
    MQA Doubts?

8. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Backstreets say the acoustic set wasn't recorded. As much as this looks like an excellent show, they really need to mix it up and get some older shows out there. They must know this is what the majority of folks who download from his site want.

superstar19 and Jimmy B. like this.
  9. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

They wouldn't release it if there was no market for it and they must know how many each tour sells. This is an historic show and it's great to have another European show which generally have way more vibrant audiences

Carserguev likes this.
  10. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Ha! I tried to read this thread when trying to learn about MQA but nothing was resolved and it was just a bunch of nonsense that made no sense to me. I will stick with my FLAC-HD files for now.

11. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Can we get something before 2000 already!!!

superstar19 likes this.
  12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Actually,
    this is the perfect choice for a show from 2012 - the longest show he's ever given, and one that has not circulated in decent quality in any bootleg recording be it CD or download.
    But I agree that the '70s ones are the first ones that should be done. They said over a year ago now, early last year, that they had some 1978 shows - I think "a handful" - and were acting like they didn't know about them.
    At the time it was stated that they were the first priority and would be next - where the **** are they?!?!
    I'm still waiting for Winterland night 2 - 12/16/78 - which "Fire" on the live box was taken from; there is no good recording of that show circulating.
    They usually release just shows that have already been in fine quality; this makes an exception. I'm getting this myself either today or else soon (my funds are very low).

Where are the '78 shows already though?

The 12/31/75 is so far the best show they've released; Agora was a downgrade in sound over the bootlegs, and the mix of 12/31/80 was horrible.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    ExHead, budwhite and superstar19 like this.
  13. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I hope they're saving the 1978 shows for a 40th anniversary box in 2018.

superstar19 likes this.
  14. Jimmy B.

While it'd be better for them to release them on Sony properly mixed (Altschiller has an aversion to electric guitar, leads are often too low if not inaudible at times in the downloads),
    I may not be here in 2018 and plenty of other may not be or won't be - why have all the recordings of Bruce languished in the vault all these years? (A: Landau)
    Why are they waiting for all of Bruce's longtime fans to be dead before releasing them officially on Coumbia, like the historical and incredible Bottom Line broadcast show (which does need upgrading; most fans like that damn MONO mix over the stereo; I don't), or the Winterland broadcast - two shows which, if released, each would be rated up there with albums like James Brown at the Apollo and Jerry Lee Lewis at the Star Club as one of the greatest live albums of all-time?
    Why haven't they been released all these years?
    This is ridiculous.

And NOBODY but hardcore Bruce fans even KNOW about the "archive series" on nugs.net.

Bootleggers have done a much better job regarding Bruce's legacy and greatness as a live performer all these years than any official releases. He's in the wrong managerial hands for this.

15. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I was disappointed by the Agora '78 release and would have liked this version:

Master tape of Bruce Springteen's fabled 1978 Agora show: Whatever happened to ...?

I think Sony and the Springsteen management now exactly what the impact is of the stuff in the vault. They release shows with an unpolished raw sound through Nugs and - my assumption - hold back the best material for big retail releases like Dylan's 'Royal Albert Hall' bootleg series when Springsteen himself thinks it's time to put it out. Previous released music on Columbia from Nassau '80 and L.A. '88 (that Born to Run acoustic version!) sounds so good, I cannot imagine they could not achieve that in 2015 with the same tapes. Nugs archive shows are souvenirs, the real live albums like Hammersmith will be released on Sony, is my guess.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  16. uncle

uncle Senior Member

What was the source of the Agora show? The notes say it was the master tape from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, is that not the same as the version in the link above?

17. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Probably about 20 years ago, Henry made 10 copies of the tape (burned to disc) and gave them out to key industry friends. It was a 20 bit master of the tapes, if I'm not mistaken.
    Anyway, it definitely sounds better than the boots, but only sounds slightly different than what Bruce's version sounds like. Supposedly, all of the Agora tapes were donated to
    the Western Reserve Historical Society. The Agora taped many bands that performed there. It's a helluva collection of bands.

18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Just a few short years ago there were ZERO archive releases, I think we now have 12.

Bruce probably doesn't understand that people want more than one show from any particular tour. While it would be nice to have more 78 shows in great quality you can easily get them in very decent quality on pressed CDs for a ridiculously low price.

The Complete 1978 Radio Broadcasts (15 CD Box Set): Amazon.co.uk: Music

These were all radio broadcasts which stopped soon after. So for tours after that there may be less stuff "in the vaults" than people think.

It would be good to also have stuff from one or two other tours but we have TWELVE full releases that were not officially available a few years ago, very long shows providing a wealth of listening.

qtrules likes this.
  19. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

The Palladium 12/76 was also a broadcast and it's a killer show. Also the WBCN tape from '73 would be nice but that'll probably never happen (and unfortunately the master of that show was, uh, lost in the flood of WBCN's storage space after the station went off the air in 2009. They broadcast a lot of cool shows in their 40+ years as a Rock station).

20. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I've given up thinking there will be official Sony live releases, ala Dylan. He's almost 70 and the majority of the people who would buy them are aging, too. They should have started them 20 years ago.

Jimmy B., ExHead and budwhite like this.
  21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

First priority should be BITUSA box to complete the run of classic period. That'll contain some fine live performances.

Citrus and Mr. D like this.
  22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I hope this is the case. Although I'm not sure why the BITUSA box would prevent someone from properly mixing archival releases.

budwhite likes this.
  23. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Cleveland' Summertime Bruce is the first Boot i ever got. It was within a few days of the show I saw him at in Augusta Maine that tour.

budwhite and Coricama like this.
  24. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It wouldn't, but these types of releases are usually staggered.

25. Jimmy B.

Yes they did not use the master tapes, they stated they did not have multi-tracks for it at the time. Hence why the best bootlegs of it sound so much better.
    As for the way the live shows where parts have been released, via the box set (nevermind the overdubs, edits or the drum sound messed with), they're so substantially better than these Nugs releases it's not funny.
    It really isn't! A lot of the sheep on Springsteen boards think Altschiller is so great because Toby Scott messed up a couple times before being replaced, but Althschiller will mess up most anything not acoustic, at least one or two songs - it can be counted on. A genuinely dry sound, with the audience mixed too low, and the guitars usually too low, at least somewhere on them, will generally be found.
    There was a leaked contract stipulation for Springsteen to get more millions he needs so badly where it said that the live releases had to be sub-par in quality to what Columbia would release, so maybe that's the case; I don't know.
    Yes Nassau on the Live box sounds so much better, Sandy - or Rendezvous on Tracks. Or Merry Christmas Baby from the War single. The Chimes Of Freedom EP sounds fantastic....they take the time and the money, the latter the big thing, the MONEY, into the releases that will gain them money, Bruce Inc. or whatever you call it. But they're not doing it!
    Nugs shows aren't supposed to be like souvenirs, that's the problem. It's supposed to be the big dig into the archives - yet they've barely touched the '70s, Bruce's golden period, and also when they released the first show from Jersey for 1984's release instead of the incredible final night of that stand from 8/20/84 (which Tenth Avenue on the live box is from, where Drift Away could have been from), there were some complaints, and there was a statement that the best shows would not be released first! They said that they didn't want "the well to be dry in a couple years" - as if that's possible with Bruce! and as if his fans will live around forever! Crazy! Bootleggers, like the wonderful, long-gone Great Dane label, they released the best first - as should be the logic here - however when we're talking about Jon Landau and his "strategies," we can't expect any logic - he also has contempt for the fans in general, and also is constant in wanting to promote the lie of "his latest is his best" (and "the band has never been better" - making really, really fantastic shows from 40 years ago or so impossible for release as the comparison would show when Bruce was clearly at his best. I mean he's still the greatest IMO, but please, let's be realistic, the '70s was him unparallelled , with the Darkness tour finding him at his very peak.
    Hammersmith BTW showed their laziness; yes it sounds great, but it was all ready - all they had to do was release the sound from the DVD; they couldn't be bothered with taking the following week's show, VASTLY superior, without Bruce re-writing history with that BS about how he was wrong about the first show, when he wasn't! (the interaction, or lack of it, from the crowd, SHOWS. It shows big time in the video; a far cry from the greatness of say the Bottom Line show. Or say the Akron show a week from that one. Both where the audience was fully into him, unlike Hammersmith of the first visit, and it spurred him on; a great crowd always does - look at him in Milan.

Johan1880, budwhite and posnera like this.