Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree. He often gives off a "take it or leave it" vibe with E Street, like it wouldn't bug him if he never played with Bruce again.

Not saying that's true, but he's been more willing to potentially ruffle feathers in regard to Bruce than others.

I was happy that Garry "liked" one of my tweets recently! :D

Jimmy B., hodgo, ExHead and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Garry auditioned for the Rolling Stones when Bill Wyman left, and was reportedly close to getting the gig.

BTW, from what I understand, any kind of insider's "tell-all" book is unlikely to ever see the light of day. Going way back, any departing employees/associates had to sign a strict non-disclosure clause as part of their severance package. And all current employees are held to the same policy. Money can be a very effective silencer.

budwhite and ExHead like this.
  3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Was it Garry who wore the shirt that offended Bruce's sensibilities during one of the Blood Brothers-era reunion shows, leading to a minor scuffle on the way to the stage? (I'm sure I'm butchering the facts here, apologies.)

4. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

That was Danny

twicks likes this.
  5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Wonder how it feels for the E Streeters to know that, when you pass, your boss is going to make a semi-grandstanding eulogy at your funeral about how tight you were.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

It was after one of these tours that Bruce set a rule that band members could wear what they wanted, so long as it was black.

7. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

would love to see a pic of the offending shirt... meanwhile can E Street outvote the Boss and get ride of his insistence on wearing vests?

budwhite likes this.
  8. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

Let's face it. These guys have made more money and gotten more exposure by being in the E Street Band with Bruce than they ever would have gotten in twenty lifetimes anywhere else. I think they should STFU or simply leave. Imagine bad-mouthing your boss or the company you worked for in a public forum. How long do you think you'd be employed with that company????

9. Oatsdad

Pretty sure E Street is a band ruled by 1 with no other opinions that matter - except maybe those of a certain red-headed woman! ;)

10. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

I think for the most part they are STFU. You never really hear them say anything that negative about Bruce or the experience, and I'm sure there are legal issues in place as was stated above.

What amazed me about the video is that for a 30 minute interview he says nothing positive. The interviewer prompts him numerous times, at one point mentioning that he saw them in 78 and how great they were. I kept waiting for Gary to say something positive about the band (one of the greatest of all time?) or music, or how they could kill it live, but it never happens.

superstar19 likes this.
  11. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Well, if it gave me the opportunity to play music for a living, and made me a millionaire, Id be alright with it.

jumpinjulian and twicks like this.
  12. Oatsdad

Some people are just naturally that way. Kinda like Harrison and the Beatles - how often did he praise them or speak fondly of his time in the band?

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

There are differing reports about how the band was paid. It has been reported on many occasions that the ESB members were paid salaries, so it would seem odd to also see them also splitting touring revenues equally. Perhaps they did for a time, or perhaps there was compensation structure where there was a salary/revenue sharing hybrid, but I would be surprised to hear that Landau gave the green light to equally split touring revenues during BITUSA. It is one thing to split revenues during theater and small auditorium gigs, it is another when the touring operation suddenly generates $50 million. I am not sure where Peter Ames Carlin got his information from, but he did say Tallent was offered the same salary/payment structure as he received in the 80's; i.e. a major low-ball that was allegedly renegotiated. That said, it appears the ESB has been well-compensated since embarking on the 1999 reunion tour, all apparently millionaires many times over.

budwhite likes this.
  14. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

He did have one great quote from the interview: "They pick you up in a limo, and drop you off in a cab"

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  15. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Up until 1979, the band traveled primarily by bus (and a crappy old one at that), and stayed at discount motels.
    They started flying more in 80-81, but by all accounts it was still pretty thrifty.
    Starting in 1984, they traveled more like stereotypical rock stars, and have ever since.
    But I've heard stories about the old days, and those guys deserve every penny and perk they now have. They earned it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  16. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

From BRUCE by Peter Carlin -- listening to the end of Chapter 20 which covers the Tunnel of Love 'Beat the Demo' attempts. After Bruce had finished the Tunnel album and others suggested that they bring the band to see what they could add to the recordings...If Bruce and Co. didn't like the band recordings -- they stuck with Bruce's original instrumentation:

"One day they give me a call and ask me to come in and play bass. I'm presented with an albums worth of material and they're like 'play this, play this, play this' he says. I'd never heard the songs before but okay, I was like 'give me five minutes to come up with something' but it was really 'okay, here's your chance'. And the album comes out and I'm on one cut maybe? Turns out they liked what they already had on the demo. It was demeaning." -- Garry Tallent

Carlin states the Tallent, Clarence and Danny took these 'beat the demo' sessions the hardest...with Max and Roy believing that all of Bruce's albums are solo albums. Nils was happy to be recording with Bruce at all.

Makes me curious to know if any sax parts were recorded for any of the tracks and just not used. The sax on the live "Tunnel" fits in perfectly...

Jimmy B., dee, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  17. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Yes. All that Heaven Will Allow especially benefits from sax.

18. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

Who were the guys in the dressing room with the spoon of coke in the Carlin book?

Back to Garry, it seems like it is his personality. He may be uncomfortable in the spotlight. He finally did a solo album only a few years ago.

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’m just thankful Bruce is releasing these shows. If you don’t like them don’t buy them.

20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I have to ask, what was wrong with Gary’s shirt?

21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. Just musing on all this while at coffee. I guess tours in the 70s and maybe even the even 80s just did not make as much profit as modern times. The E Street band always looked like they were having fun but maybe they were all like the clown in Tracks of my Tears and I did not look close enough.

hodgo likes this.
  22. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

:biglaugh:

23. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

I think the point needs to be made that above all else this was Bruce Springsteen's band. A great band and possibly the best ever, but his band. He put it together, he wrote the songs, most of the arrangements and many of the solos. He managed basically every detail from rehearsals to recordings to soundchecks to shows. Was the E Street band essential? I would say yes. But whether it's Bruce Springsteen or Paul McCartney or Elvis Presley you are playing in their band. If you aren't happy or aren't fulfilled, get out. David Sancious did. Boom Carter did.
    And remember the final result. Great music and legendary live shows. And it sure seemed like everybody was having a blast. If you watch video of early tours in almost every one there's moments of looks and smiles between band members that sure looks like they're having a heck of a time. Could be fake. Could be put on for the show. But I doubt it.

Lars1966, Gary C, kouzie and 3 others like this.
  24. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I hate this type of post suggesting that we should be grateful that this material is out there, regardless of the fact that many of us can't enjoy it or even listen to it due to the poor sound quality caused by poor mastering.

You do realise this is an audiophile forum? and that by its very nature there are people here who actually care about sound quality? If you bought poorly made clothing or any other faulty item you would be right to complain, this is no different and folks have just as much of a right to complain when these releases are badly mastered.

One final thing there are some of us, myself included, who are no longer willing to pay for these badly mastered releases.

Jimmy B., redsock, marcb and 8 others like this.
  25. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

keep in mind; you are allowed to be ambiguous about these releases. I know I am.
    On the one hand, I am thankful they’re being released. But on the other hand, the quality should have been better, and more importantly, more consistent!

would I rather have a poorly mastered nugs release than no release at all? Probably.
    Am I annoyed that they don’t put enough care and effort into them? Definitely

cognitive dissonance, I believe?

graveyardboots, Taxman and hodgo like this.