Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Then Bruce was a dolt. Just because you're a millionaire doesn't mean you can't put a spotlight on those needier than you.

In fact, you should do that. Bruce had a good position to bring attention to various causes - that doesn't mean he had to be a poor person to do that...

Turbo2k, jlf, walrus and 1 other person like this.
  2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I think he was often nervous in TV interviews. He became a confident interviewee and orator as he got older.

superstar19 likes this.
  3. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Is there a book that you’re referencing for this information? I would enjoy reading one that detailed his sessions, who played on what, the instrumentation, outtakes, etc.

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

thank you.

Oatsdad likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Definitely. Bruce always seemed to have a love/hate relationship with fame and ambition.

Clearly he wanted to be rich and famous, and he had the ambition to do so, but he also had some apparent reluctance along the way.

To some degree, I think he eventually embraced the "Bruce Springsteen Character" as a way to cope.

Also, he eventually was so famous that he couldn't help but become more comfortable. In 1984, being a massive star was still new, but after that, it had to feel less awkward...

6. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

The only visual confirmation is the 1980 River Tour souvenir program, which shows max sitting behind the 5 piece kit at the Power Station (I’m a lifelong gear head). Unfortunately, no film exists of The River sessions.
    Pics aside, You can clearly hear the 3 Toms on several fills.

budwhite and Mooserfan like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

One suspects Springsteen was being careful not to alienate the public circa 1985. Perhaps he was uncomfortable with television interviews, etc., but Landau was carefully orchestrating the BITUSA project and it would not be surprising to find out that Springsteen was instructed not to say anything too polarizing. Clearly he had made social/political statements in the past, either in his work or from the stage, but after the brand was firmly established and the revenues maximized, things became less restrictive.

njstrummer and budwhite like this.
  8. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Bruce, a love / hate relationship with fame. I believe his daughter called him an “Attention Whore”

9. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

that’s a reflection on you not the musicians or the band.

10. PacificOceanBlue

There doesn't seem to be much hate in the equation. Maybe decades ago, but over the past 20+ years, he seems comfortable and fond of his notoriety.

budwhite likes this.
  11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

We agree to differ. Have a good night:)

ToddH likes this.
  12. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Danny was a much more soulful and fluid keyboardist than Giordano. Giordano does an ok job playing parts, but he’s no Danny Federici. Listen to Pretty Flamingo in 1975 versus 2016. No comparison.

In his prime, Clarence was a powerful (if limited) sax player. He was also a very good harmony singer. Jake Clemons has the right last name, but that’s about it. He hits tons of bad notes, and is often out of key. Eddie Manion is 25 times better.

Taxman, daveidmarx, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  13. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

Is the drum loop on the live Roulette in 1988 the beginning rolls? I should look up a video on Youtube. Max played the intro live in 2000 and subsequent tours, I think (definitely remember watching a Leeds 2013 video where it was played live).

14. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yes.

15. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

The flub is on the 1988 shoreline amphitheater show. Bruce fell in love with drum triggers in the late 80’s, and IIRC he used them live on Tunnel of Love, Roulette and One Step Up, maybe one or two others. I’m sure Max hated them (as most drummers do).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    budwhite likes this.
  16. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Poking around looking at old videos. I know I’ll get drawn and quartered here, but god the TOL show was cringey...

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

1988 was cringey all around.

BeatleBruceMayer, Mike M and Dr. Zoom like this.
  18. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Who's the blonde?

Citrus likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

Yikes. Fortunately the Nugs releases are solely audio.

20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I missed the TOL tour, but the Other Band tour set 1 closer Roll of the Dice had some pretty atrocious staging. Like a bad high school production of Guys and Dolls.

twicks, budwhite and Dr. Zoom like this.
  21. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

TOL was pretty atrocious. I saw the show in Philly. It had one or two good moments, but overall it was the hokiest, most stagey thing I ever saw. Bruce flexing his muscles and acting like a cheesy cabaret narcissus. I remember this one being particularly awful. I can clearly remember the Philly crowd was like “wtf is this ****??”

budwhite and Citrus like this.
  22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I'm genuinely afraid to click on that video.

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  23. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

Hey look we all make mistakes in life, but...WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? Really!

Was a huge fan from from 75 -84, got off the Bruce train around 84, came back in the last year or so and thankfully had no idea anything like this existed.

You got to warn a guy next time before you do something like this.

Citrus likes this.
  24. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Haha. I was going to post “I’m a coward” but I’ll show some mercy.

In the interests of being balanced, Be True and the acoustic Born To Run were really nice moments in the show.

But I just remember the show being like one big long pose from Bruce. It was really weird.

budwhite and Flaming Torch like this.
  25. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

Yes! The Born to Run solo acoustic (which I only know from the Chimes of Freedom EP, but guessing it's the same version, the sing along fade out gets me everytime) is one of my favorite Bruce moments, thanks for that palate cleanser, was about to go to bed really depressed.

You ruined, then saved my night.

Dr. Zoom likes this.