Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Also, Bruce isn't the Grateful Dead. He isn't going to be able to sell boxes of multiple nights from the same run. Outside of the most extreme fanatics, two or three shows per tour would be the most anyone would buy.

budwhite likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Does that Helsinki show REALLY have a 10+ minute "Sunny Day"??? :eek:

Funny he'd play it so close to Switzerland - doesn't the Geneva Convention prohibit a "Sunny Day" that goes past the 3-minute mark? :D

3. Oatsdad

Agree, but I suspect it's also much cheaper/easier for them to put out these newer shows. I doubt they require much work to be mastered/released, whereas older stuff is more complicated.

I'd love a 1992-93 show - that's tops on my list!

dee likes this.
  4. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Finland isn't near Switzerland...

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

David Lemieux and Jeff Norman have done an outstanding job with the Dead reissues and catalog milking. My guess is that they're too busy to advise Landau and his team.

budwhite likes this.
  6. uncle

uncle Senior Member

So which bootlegs sound better? I have Summertime Bruce and The Classic Cleveland Broadcast and I don't find either sounds any better than the version Bruce put out. Also in the notes for the Agora show it says that the stereo reels they used were most likely the master tapes or the only ones they knew of.

"After comparison to other copies of this show, this was the best version and potentially the original master tapes."

7. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I understand they were not going to tell us there's also a multitrack recording - recorded in the studio instead of the truck where Iovine made his FM mastertape - in private hands that demand a percentage of the profit of sales.

And this leaves the possibilty of a Sony release from the multitracks.

dee likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Yeah, it was just a joke about "Sunny Day"... :help:

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think there is some truth to that. In general, I think many artists do not hold what is often considered their "classic" or "vintage" eras of work in the same high regard that the respective fan-bases do. Granted, Springsteen knows Born To Run, Darkness, and The River are classics. He knows Nebraska is an artistic triumph. However, I do think that he likely views his contemporary studio work and live shows as being just as good, if not better, than his work from 30 years ago (Landau raves about Springsteen's shows to the press as being better than ever, and one suspects Springsteen probably shares that view). While I do think Springsteen knows some of his fan-base is stuck in the past so-to-speak and knows they want more vintage live shows from the archives, I also would not be surprised if he felt his contemporary work is just as valuable and worthy of release.

Tippy, dee, ragged company and 2 others like this.
  10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That may be true, but there are already dozens of recent shows available for sale/download.
    I guess only they know their stats. If the modern shows aren't badly outsold by the vintage ones, their strategy makes sense.

11. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I know but for some reason many Americans get Sweden and Switzerland mixed up. One of these is close to Finland.

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

"Tougher Than The Rest" is probably my favorite Bruce Springsteen track and the live version on the '88 live set cuts the studio version by a mile. Didn't see that one coming.

windfall likes this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm an extreme fanatic, and even I don't need more than two or three shows from a tour.

If they ever did some kind of tour compilations, compiling highlights and rarer songs, I'd be all over that. Like, I don't need 40 versions of "Working On A Dream," but I'd be all over a release of just the one-offs and covers Bruce did on that tour.

dee and Turbo2k like this.
  14. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Crystal Cat had it right. Pick a good sounding show and fill out disc 3-4 (or 5-6!) with selections from other contemporary shows.
    I'd buy a 5 disc tour compilation before a single show.

15. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I would describe myself the same way, and I don't have anymore than four shows from any tour.

16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Me three. I was hoping that the archive series would allow me to pare down my bloated download folder of boots.
    I''ve grabbed some tour compilations from 75, 76, Darkness, River, BITUSA and TOL. Those plus one or two full shows are probably enough. The radio broadcasts from Darkness are better sounding than the archive release.
    I'll buy pretty much anything pre-Darkness but other than that, I've got enough from the classic years. A good 92-93 compilation would also be welcome.

dee and budwhite like this.
  17. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I'm certainly glad that the Springsteen organization has started releasing the archives, but for the most part, so far it's been pretty unadventurous with the releases. I didn't bother picking up the previously bootlegged shows. I'm so used to my boots that I don't really need so-called upgrades. The 1975 show was the only big surprise that I've grabbed. I also picked up half a dozen 2016 shows on sale and made my own tour comp. Hopefully well see more interesting choices in the future.

Jacline and dee like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Nah - I know the difference. I thought "both countries in Europe" was close enough for "cheap crack about that stupid 'Sunny Day' song"! :D

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

A tour compilation would be an easy way to keep interest in the archive series going, even after they've already released 2 or 3 shows from any given tour/era. I'm not really a purist, I just want a good listening experience.

budwhite likes this.
  20. INSW

INSW Senior Member

They don't even edit the eight minutes of crowd murmuring out of these things. Compiling tracks from a tour isn't going to happen. They're as is recordings at premium prices.

21. INSW

INSW Senior Member

On the one hand, I'm glad Landsteen is doing anything. On the other, the only people interested are fanatics so they should be catering to us.

Jacline and Jimmy B. like this.
  22. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

23. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

While it's good to see a quicker turnaround on releases again, I have no interest in another modern show.

This is noted on the site, however:
    "Following the release of Philadelphia 2009, the Archival Download series will shift its attention even further back in time to cover more historic tours and performances. "

Is it too cynical of me to think this will end up being a 1999 show? ;)

Tippy, daveidmarx, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Not a bad set list but thank God they are finally going to go back in time again

Adam Bosman likes this.
  25. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Yes, way too cynical! I think the next handful of releases will all be from the Classic E St era...hopefully they hit us with something from 1973-74. Or hell...Steel Mill!