Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Appreciate that information as I had no clue about that Acronym used, although have not read every post in this Thread, if it was mentioned earlier. I thought maybe Springsteen was doing some early 2000 Concerts with MUSE, which would have seemed strange to me, since their Music do not seem to have much in common, except they both sell out Big Arenas.

Rockford & Roll and hkam like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Muse did open for U2 on a bunch of 2009 shows!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  3. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

The Tempe show, and the way that it has been "handled" sort of sums up all my issues with the whole handling of Bruce's live legacy. We get 23 of 33 songs (which were filmed) on The Ties That Bind Box Set DVD (with no audio). Then, through Nugs we get audio of the 10 songs that were recorded but apparently not filmed (I think that is right) but which are not part of the DVD.

No complete audio release, ever of the rest of the songs that were on the DVD. Someone at STP was kind enough to rip and burn a set containing all of them which I have - its probably my favorite "semi-official" live Springsteen. Its definitely one that I listen to the most.

I've bought pretty much all of the Archive shows - I'd say 3/4 of them and almost 100 percent of the Reunion Tour and earlier shows. I will continue to do so - however it greatly chaffs and irritates me that a show that sounds as good as any of them has been handled in the fashion that it has been handled and has never been released in a complete package.

4. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

I gave in a bought the LA and Philly '99 releases and am thoroughly enjoying them. Bruce's vocal delivery isn't that great, at times, but the band sounds phenomenal. No, it's not 1978, but I was three at the time. The Reunion shows bring me back to a time when my family and I were coordinating buying tickets and travelling for shows with huge groups. What a great time that was.

5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Yes and no for me. Some music is worth having in 24 bit, while other music it doesn’t make a significant difference. There’s three Springsteen shows that sound real good in 24 bit to me - East Rutherford 7-9-81, Detroit 3-28-88 and Passaic 9-20-78.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I found my ticket stub and can confirm the date of these pictures. Not that anyone wanted to know, but I was wondering myself.

Looks like the 16th, second show.

[​IMG]

7. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"We get 23 of 33 songs (which were filmed) on The Ties That Bind Box Set DVD (with no audio)".....was the video mute?

8. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

:)

I hope we get the full story on this one day...a song or two missing cause of tape change etc was not unusual considering the time of recording - but 10 songs? No way

Taxman likes this.
  9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Film was expensive. They didn't film the slower songs which also may not have been as well lit on the stage.

I agree with the sentiment that the entire show should have been included as audio only (and I would have used photos to fill in the missing video so that would be the complete show as well).

10. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

No way Tempe is film sourced?
    Surely that must be SD video tape.

otherwise, a 16:9 with sharp image would have been the visual presentation on the blu ray

superstar19 likes this.
  11. I believe they weren’t setting out to film a concert but to make some clips similar to Phoenix Rosalita.Given Bruce’s paranoias about being filmed live he was probably against the whole thing being filmed anyway.

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

A caveat: I personally think 99% of listeners wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind test, even on the Clearmountain show, but that's just me.

Having said that, I would heartily argue no, given the mastering and source material. The Clearmountain-mixed ones might be the only ones worth splurging on, but even then, it's just not that kind of music. I don't think you're gaining any perceptible thing by upgrading at all...this isn't a symphony or intricate jazz recording, it's a loud rock band with 7-16 (or more) people onstage, and then the final mixes are mastered pretty hot. (The acoustic shows are mostly, if not all 16-bit recordings to begin with, so you're also not missing anything there). Also notable that while the recordings are all "professional," most weren't recorded for retail live album release. So while I think some of sound genuinely great given we had so little from the tour before (the '88 and 90's shows especially), were they perhaps mic'd and recorded at the time as well as they possibly could have to where you'd get a big difference in hi-res? Not really.

Save your money, and use the difference in price to buy some other music?

13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Fair point. Either way, the slower songs with darker staging were not filmed/taped.

14. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

Off topic but have any of you guys caught any of the Springsteen as DJ "From My Home To Yours" series on SiriusXM? Everyone one of them is worth your time but the last 3 have been stellar. One with Southside and Stevie, one called Summertime, Summertime which captured growing up near a beach in the 60s/70s perfectly and the last with the wife. If you liked his autobiography, these are a continuation (or maybe outtakes) of that conversation. Many very intimate moments. Great stuff! Start with Summertime. You'll be hooked!

Rockford & Roll and superstar19 like this.
  15. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Bruce was against filming his shows in general back then. I seem to remember reading when the River box came out he now wishes more was filmed.

musicaner likes this.
  16. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

which is why he has recorded “everything” post reunion. (I think that’s the quote from the New York dvd bonus feature)

17. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

This part still makes me shake my head. After Phoenix '78, where only a couple of songs were filmed, they (meaning Bruce for the most part) clearly should have realized the error of their ways. The "Rosalia" footage is spectacular, and the other songs are great too, especially "The Promised Land".

It's two years later and they're back in the Phoenix area, which has been a Bruce hotbed since about 1974. You'd imagine their thinking would be: "well we should have filmed the whole show last time, but we'll make sure we do it now". An amped up crowd would be there, and probably a bunch of those "Rosalita" stage-rushers from the video clip were in the audience again. And they were only using videotape, not expensive film, so cost was not a factor. In spite of all this, they stopped filming for 10 songs during the show.

In fairness, I think I read a piece somewhere that said we are lucky to have as many songs as we do on video. I need to dig that article up for more details. Supposedly the plan was only for a few songs, yet again.

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

It is disappointing but hardly surprising that there is so little video. There was no use for it. MTV didn't exist, so there wasn't a lot of need for music videos. Outside of planned concert films, there is essentially no pro-shot video for many major bands. It is more surprising that they recorded as much of the River show as they did.

J_D__, Mike M and superstar19 like this.
  19. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

When the River box was released, I made this very same point. Maybe a concert could still have been broadcast on cable, but it certainly wasn't very common. Too bad, because even more people could have seen and heard for themselves how great Bruce was in concert.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Yup. The No Nukes movie was probably the first time many had ever seen Bruce perform at all.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  21. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

You have to remember Bruce's mindset at the time. He wasn't interested in preserving video of the band in it's prime (big mistake.) The live shows in that time period were very visual with lots of dramatic lighting. Very tough to capture on the media of the day.

I think he also liked the idea of NOT having a record of the shows. It made the mythology of his shows huge at the time. You had to be there kinda thing. He was very leery of letting ANY live video out. That is why the No Nukes film was so awesome when it came out. He had zero face time on TV back then. He refused to do any of the rock TV shows like DonKirshner's Rock Concert, Fridays etc supposedly because it couldn't compare to the total concert experience. And TV sound quality sucked. No home theater systems back then.

marcb and Rockford & Roll like this.
  22. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

The Rosalita live clip from Phoenix '78 which was shown on OGWT was probably the first time we saw anything of him in UK. The look on his face when he is mobbed by a bunch of girls was priceless. That clip was all you needed to be assured this was not quite "the new Dylan".

23. uncle

uncle Senior Member

This week's release has been delayed for a week according to the Backstreets twitter account.

Citrus likes this.
  24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Maybe they should move releases to the second week of the month. It’s always delayed......

uncle likes this.
  25. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

Or, move them to the last Friday of the month. That way when they are delayed a week they'll be released on the first Friday of the next month.

FourWalledWorld, Eiricd and J_D__ like this.