Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

That's what they're thinking over at BTX as well.

hodgo and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The sale was months and months ago though…why the price shift now?

same question with nugs growth. It appears to be just this one show, even though there’s nothing special about it that would suggest it cost more to release.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  3. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

I have no answers or inside knowledge. I just notice all things Bruce seem to cost more and more. I surmise Sony must need to show a return on their investment in Bruce’s catalog.

4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Possibly, but a lot of fans refuse to believe Springsteen has anything to do with this, in the same way that when he would do horrible things in the past, it would all be blamed on Landau (who deserves plenty of blame, but Bruce surely agreed/agrees with him on those matters).
    It's just strange that it happened all of a sudden now, so soon right after Springsteen acted like a complete, arrogant a****** to his fans in that Rolling Stone interview. I blame Springsteen for this.
    Hell hath no fury like a narcissist scorned.

Clark V Kauffman and musicaner like this.
  5. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I can already hear Sony choking on this deal.
    If they need to charge an extra $6 on an archive release that 35 people are going to buy….well, more power to them.

In other news, I heard somewhere that the new soul album has sold 30,000 copies. Thirty. Thousand. Copies.

Bruce made a great deal for himself. And he sure seems happy. Maybe money -can- buy happiness.

Detroit Music Fan and budwhite like this.
  6. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Given the changes in the industry and excluding the Adeles, Swifts, and Styles of the world, what is considered a good sales figure today? Especially for a legacy artist.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  8. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

It’s a good question, I don’t know.
    But I can’t imagine the bean counters in Tokyo aren’t too impressed with a 30k handle. When they need to offset $450 million.

9. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

Pearl Jam and RHCP both did in the 50k-60k range week one for their latest albums. Not sure if that includes “streaming equivalents”, or just pure sales. McCartney III did 104k, so that seems really good these days for a legacy artist. That album had a lot of different vinyl variants, which probably helped for sure.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Given the # of copies these live releases sell, though, an extra $6 per show isn't gonna make even the tiniest of dents.

I suspect licensing is where those who purchased Bruce's catalog think they'll make back their money.

They know record sales won't do it.

11. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Has to be. Coming to a soundtrack near you.
    And those Toyota electrics are born to run, baby!! :)

Oatsdad likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Always thought "Come on up for Verizon" was a perfect fit! :D

13. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

SIGN on up for Verizon! lol

Detroit Music Fan and Oatsdad like this.
  14. INSW

INSW Senior Member

A good weekly sales figure for a legacy artist these days is anything over zero because nobody cares about physical sales. At this point, aside from the super edition box sets that sell to fanatics, any artist over 30 might as well just give it away. It's over.

15. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

We have AXSTV and it has quite a few concerts though the top tier of rock acts are rarely seen. BUT the other night they ran a performance from 2009 of Bruce and the core band performing the entire Darkness album. No Danny of course, but Clarence was still alive and kicking. It was a little odd not seeing Nils and Patty but I got used to it. I thought it was a pretty fiery performance - "Candy's Room" was pedal to the metal and Bruce was really intense in his guitar playing, particularly on "Prove it All Night". Catch it if you get that channel.

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember a New Yorker article a few years back where the writer was around Bruce while preparing the High Hopes CD and after its release, and there was a parenthetical note that the CD didn't end up selling much.

17. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident Thread Starter

With streaming and try before you buy if the album is all killer no filler then sales will be very low. Combine that with several generations who have never needed physical media and you have the perfect storm that has resulted in incredibly small amounts of actual product sold. Sad but true.

18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

New album will probably sell 100 or 200k worldwide. Nobody would expect much more these days for an artist in his 70s.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  19. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

It sounds odd, but I almost surprised myself by how pleased I am that this Nashville 2008 is the release.

First of all, I really agree with what Erik Flannigan says in the first line of his essay about it, whereby I do feel like, as he says, how these 2008 Magic shows have kinda really grown in stature for many fans—I’ve come to really like them a great deal. The Magic material sounds excellent and the band plays much harder and tougher than they do as they go out in 2009.

Second, this is a great stretch of this tour. The St. Louis show is excellent and I’m very glad to have a release of the show before. That’s a frequent listen for me.

And finally, as said above, this is an excellent set list with plenty of the surprises and small touches that characterizes this part of the tour.

I suppose I didn’t go into Friday with this in mind as the top of my release list. But I’m quite glad to now be getting it. What I’ve heard so far is pretty great.

rd19 and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  20. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

On the other hand it seems to me that Erik Flannigan does not have essay gig on these releases to exactly diss either Bruce or the archive releases

21. uncle

uncle Senior Member

foobar2000 1.5.5 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2022-12-04 15:01:23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Bruce Springsteen / 2008/08/21 Nashville, TN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR7 -0.22 dB -8.13 dB 6:33 01-Out in the Street
    DR6 -0.22 dB -7.29 dB 3:57 02-Radio Nowhere
    DR6 -0.22 dB -7.65 dB 5:00 03-No Surrender
    DR6 -0.21 dB -8.07 dB 4:33 04-Lonesome Day
    DR6 -0.20 dB -9.02 dB 11:21 05-Spirit In The Night
    DR6 -0.21 dB -8.95 dB 4:40 06-Good Rockin' Tonight
    DR6 -0.22 dB -11.08 dB 7:20 07-Growin' Up
    DR7 -0.22 dB -8.28 dB 3:18 08-I'm Goin' Down
    DR6 -0.22 dB -7.25 dB 1:42 09-Held Up Without A Gun
    DR6 -0.22 dB -8.33 dB 4:58 10-Loose End
    DR7 -0.22 dB -9.01 dB 6:02 11-Youngstown
    DR6 -0.20 dB -6.86 dB 6:33 12-Murder Incorporated
    DR6 -0.21 dB -7.89 dB 7:10 13-Mona - She's The One
    DR6 -0.22 dB -7.67 dB 6:20 01-The Promised Land
    DR7 -0.22 dB -10.32 dB 16:02 02-Mary's Place
    DR11 -1.07 dB -15.36 dB 4:11 03-I Walk The Line - I'm On Fire
    DR6 -0.21 dB -8.26 dB 5:08 04-The Rising
    DR6 -0.21 dB -7.27 dB 4:27 05-Last To Die
    DR6 -0.21 dB -7.96 dB 6:37 06-Long Walk Home
    DR6 -0.22 dB -8.73 dB 9:39 07-Badlands
    DR7 -0.22 dB -8.94 dB 5:14 01-Girls in Their Summer Clothes
    DR6 -0.22 dB -8.01 dB 6:11 02-Thunder Road
    DR6 -0.21 dB -7.10 dB 6:08 03-Born to Run
    DR6 -0.22 dB -7.08 dB 2:47 04-I Fought The Law
    DR6 -0.20 dB -7.03 dB 7:52 05-Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
    DR7 -0.20 dB -8.71 dB 8:31 06-American Land
    DR7 -0.20 dB -8.48 dB 7:15 07-Dancing in the Dark

Number of tracks: 27
    Official DR value: DR6

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 1855 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

JohnBeas likes this.
  22. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I usually pick up Bruce vinyl on Day 1. I'm holding off on this one. I'm guessing it'll be in $10-$12 range sooner than later

23. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I'm not buying anything with a Mary's Place that's less than 20 minutes.

24. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

Checking a few prices on the older shows and it looks like they've bumped the prices up to $18.99 (FLAC).

rcb30 likes this.
  25. Attila the Professor

Attila the Professor Forum Resident

Hmm. Guess I'll be buying fewer shows then

cdash99 and JohnB like this.