Bruce Springsteen - Next Deluxe Box Set Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, May 5, 2018.

1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, but it's still better than no vocals or incomplete mumbles, IMO. I've heard discs of Darkness/River outtakes & rehearsals and...for the most part they're really not that interesting without a coherent lead vocal. (Same with Stones outtakes, while we're at it) I know there's some who really delve into that stuff, and that's cool, but it wouldn't make a very good commercial product.

Granted, they could've skipped adding The River (which everyone already owns, several times) and instead included both 'original' and 'completed' versions of tracks, and made everyone happy, but that would've required more imagination than I think BruceCo is capable of with these things.

twicks likes this.
  2. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

I do think there is a market for reissues of the 3 albums you mention. Maybe not a big box, but a couple discs with outtakes and extras/live songs would be easy to market and would sell, obviously not millions but a good number of copies.

J

3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

I do think they could create an interesting set centred around the first 2 albums, although I am not too sure they need to actually include the original albums themselves.

There are the John Hammond demos for example. I also note that the Nugs archive releases have not included anything from this period yet.

The documentary for this set would be interesting as it could chart his rise to success, including his earlier bands.

A blu ray of latter day performances of each of the two albums would also be welcome.

Turbo2k, Matthew Tate and walrus like this.
  4. walrus

No reissue for a very famous, often remastered/reissued LP needs to include the original album.

5. INSW

INSW Senior Member

They could create very interesting sets for the first two albums and they would sell next to nothing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Documentary is tough to do without Danny/Clarence. Not sure how much archival interview stuff exists for those 2. Plus Landau only wants HIS Bruce origin story known and not Appel's, even if everyone is on good terms.

ESB members rarely offer much insight into the band in interviews, especially after 1999. Some were VERY honest in the early 90's.

7. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yeah, they can only reheat this stuff so many times. I think some Springsteen friends may have box set exhaustion.

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. Love what Sony just did with Janis Joplin’s “Cheap Thrills” Sessions — two discs of outtakes, no remastered original album in sight.

Sean, qtrules, Davido and 4 others like this.
  9. walrus

There would be more than enough material to do that with any Bruce album. I really like the alternate Fleetwood Mac Tusk album as a way of presenting outtakes/alternate versions in an interesting way to the casual/normal listener, and certainly an alternate Darkness and River could've easily been assembled, and probably would've helped sales, particularly of the River set. (I get the focus and priority was on unreleased songs, but the aversion to alternate takes throughout both sets strikes me as odd)

10. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

A buddy of mine was recently discussing Tusk with me. He's a casual Fleetwood Mac fan at best but since Tusk is his favorite Mac album, he now plays the 'alternate' version of that album from the recent Tusk reissue (it was released on vinyl as a Record Store Day release, I believe) whenever he's in the mood for Fleetwood Mac. In Springsteen's case, the omission of the alternate, radically different rock arrangement of Point Blank is a bit of a head-scratcher.

Another option is to present the album in a similar manner to what The Beatles recently did with Sgt. Pepper's and The White Album (i.e. provide the album proper only in a newly remixed presentation and supplement it with additional outtakes, alternate versions and demos). When news broke that Bruce was going to release a box set celebrating The River album, some Springsteen fans were clamoring for a remix of The River tracks. The River album had just been remastered the previous year for The Album Collection Vol. 1 set so a remix of the album may have made more sense for The River box set.

walrus, Matthew Tate and budwhite like this.
  11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

OK, then!!!

Unless I’m missing something, that Wikileaks info reveals the outline of Springsteen’s contractual obligations with Columbia, and essentially relegates other speculated releases in this thread, to the “back-burner”.

Even the rough dividing line between Columbia and Nugs live releases is drawn, based upon quality.

Perhaps the contract has some “escape clauses”...?

12. walrus

Yeah, I'm 100% behind the idea of the River remix. I actually think the recent vinyl reissue is the best I've ever heard the album sound, but I'd have loved a fresh take on it. I'm glad we have all those new/old songs, even with the modern finishing touches, but skipping the main album and including 20-25 alternate takes (especially instead of re-using stuff that was already on Tracks) would've probably moved a lot more units. I know BruceCo was disappointed at the sales of the River set compared to the previous one, but I think that's largely on Bruce.

budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

At the very least, if the original River album had to be included, it should have been totally remixed. The box would have been the perfect opportunity to do this. As it is, the new remaster has more bass, but that's about it.

Matthew Tate and walrus like this.
  14. walrus

Yeah, that remaster had already been released two years earlier, making it even more redundant. Maybe the 'remixing' trend hadn't really reached non-prog-rock attention by 2015 when this set was put together so it didn't occur to anyone yet.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

Based on what the The River box set was, this is more or less what I believe a Nebraska/1982 sessions joint box set would sound like:

MURDER INCORPORATED: THE NEBRASKA COLLECTION

Disc One - Nebraska:
    01 Nebraska
    02 Atlantic City
    03 Mansion on the Hill
    04 Johnny 99
    05 Highway Patrolman
    06 State Trooper
    07 Used Cars
    08 Open All Night
    09 My Father's House
    10 A Reason to Believe

Disc Two - Murder Incorporated:
    01 Born in the USA
    02 Murder Incorporated
    03 Downbound Train
    04 I'm Going Down
    05 Glory Days
    06 My Love Won't Let You Down
    07 Working on the Highway
    08 Darlington County
    09 Frankie
    10 I'm on Fire
    11 This Hard Land

Disc Three - Electric Nebraska:
    01 Nebraska
    02 Atlantic City
    03 Mansion on the Hill
    04 Johnny 99
    05 Highway Patrolman
    06 Common Ground (Stay Hungry)
    07 Used Cars
    08 Open All Night
    09 Gun in Every Home
    10 Losin' Kind
    11 William Davis
    12 A Reason to Believe
    13 Johnny Bye Bye

Disc Four - Outtakes:
    01 Losin' Kind
    02 The Big Payback
    03 Child Bride
    04 Lion's Den
    05 Saving Up
    06 Club Soul City
    07 All I Need
    08 Cover Me
    09 Protection
    10 Your Love is All Around Me
    11 Robert Ford
    12 Fade to Black
    13 Stop the War
    14 Baby I'm So Cold
    15 A Good Man is Hard to Find
    16 On the Prowl
    17 The Wages of Sin

Follows the same pattern as The Ties that Bind collection. First two discs are the double LP ("Murder Incorporated" was Bruce's first BITUSA tracklist), the third disc is one alternate configuration of the album (but instead of the Single Album we get Electric Nebraska), and a fourth disc of outtakes, with contemporary overdubs and previously released songs. Track orders on the 3 & 4 records aren't supposed to make sense, as we haven't heart most tunes.

A bit disappointing? Perhaps, but real life is disappointing most of the time :D

The rest of the 1983 and 1984 sessions would be released as DANCING IN THE DARK: THE BORN IN THE USA COLLECTION, of course

16. estband

estband Forum Resident

I created the playlist below using Unsatisfied Heart: Remastered BORN IN THE U.S.A. Outtakes and The Lost Masters as sources (except where noted).

I stayed away from most of the officially released material since I have the best of it on my 14 TRACKS compilation, and ultimately wanted to restrict this disc to booted versions.

For the exceptions..."Shut Out the Light" for me is definitive, "County Fair" is the same quality or a tick above the boot, and I've loved this version of "Johnny Bye Bye" since buying the "I'm On Fire" 45 (almost exactly) twenty four years ago.

MURDER INCORPORATED

1. Born in the U.S.A.
    2. Don't Back Down
    3. Murder Incorporated
    4. Follow That Dream
    5. This Hard Land
    6. Johnny Bye Bye
    7. Drop On Down and Cover Me
    8. Shut Out the Light (TRACKS)
    9. Frankie
    10. None But the Brave
    11. Sugarland
    12. My Love Will Not Let You Down
    13. Richfield Whistle
    14. The Klansman
    15. County Fair (Essential)
    16. Johnny Bye Bye (B-Side)
    17. Unsatisfied Heart

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

county fair essential? its a camp fire song.

blastfurniss likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that's the album the song was released on

19. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

o so its not essential but on an essential album?
    its a pretty bad song either way.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its on the 3 cd hits compilation ESSENTIAL were the 3rd cd was all rare/unreleased stuff

JoeF. likes this.
  21. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

yeah, "none but the brave" was on there too.
    what can i say, neither is a fav.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Disagree completely....listen to the backing music /sound effects...not to mention the wistful sounding keyboard flourishes.......totally sets the tone for the subject matter....what's not to like?....I put it up there with Ritchfield Whistle, The Klan and The Hitter for great solo tracks....

JohnB and John C Bradley Jr like this.
  23. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of "County Fair." To me its sort of a "mood piece," setting up a feeling as opposed to telling a story. It totally captures the feeling of the subject matter, a county fair in a small rural area/town (grew up going to many of these in South Carolina).

24. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

It's also one of Springsteen's best songs.

tedg65 likes this.
  25. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Count me as one more person who’s a big fan of “County Fair”. Wonderfully evocative. I just hope it’s sound quality is improved on the box.