Bruce Springsteen No Nukes Concert to be released.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pacman68, Jul 17, 2021.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I would stunned if he moved six figures worth of box sets. It is totally unbelievable. Box sets are a niche product at a high price point in a market of diminishing sales. It isn't exclusive to Springsteen; most deluxe, large-scale boxes have limited production runs, maybe in the 5000 range, sometimes less, sometimes a bit more. Granted, when entities like the RIAA count units moved, they will take a multi-disc set and multiply each set sold by the number of discs in each set -- for example, if the Grateful Dead do a 5,000 production run of a box set with 20 discs in each box, each box set is then multiplied by 20, so even though only 5,000 boxes were sold, they would be credited for 100,000 (that is why Springsteen's Live 1975/1985 has such a big sales number associated with it). Even with that wonky math, I can't see how The Promise or TTTB could be credited in the six figure range.

Springsteen's new commercial releases, single disc sets priced at around $10, are only moving half a million on average, so there is no way massive, expensive box sets are selling in the same range.

NunoBento likes this.
  2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Please, no politics. It won’t end well for anybody.

dee and Dr. Zoom like this.
  3. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Wrong end.

blastfurniss likes this.
  4. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Sony is a big bloated company famous for squandering huge sums of cash. It’s quite possible they are taking a bath on these Springsteen boxes and they don’t even know it.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  5. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Dave Marsh even painted the cake throwing as a fit of anger.

6. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Makes sense. I hate having to work on my birthday. :)

Dan

Mr. D and Guy Smiley like this.
  7. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Well it sure didn't feel that way at the time. Bruce had been laboring away at the Hit Factory making The River album, and this was the band's first chance to play out in some time. Felt more like a celebration than anything else.

8. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I guess we have to remember it's Dave Marsh. . .

Guy Smiley and George Blair like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

They can't be making much of a profit on Springsteen box sets.

10. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

springsteen in a box would be a huge cash cow. it always is. for the label.

11. PacificOceanBlue

I don't see it in 2021. The only box set that was a big seller was Live 1975/1985, and that was out of the gate back in '86 at the tail-end of the BITUSA hype, but ultimately it underperformed with many retailers stuck with excess stock. Seriously, how many copies of The Ties That Bind sold? I would be surprised if more than 10,000 worldwide.

GMfan87' and Lewisboogie like this.
  12. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

well..

i meant springsteen himself. in a box lol

forgive me ;)

my sense of humor has become darker and more macabre of late ( as if such a thing were possible ).

sign 'o the times :)

13. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

14. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The No Nukes movie was never on DVD, correct? Searched and found only VHS and LD.

15. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Correct

16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I very much doubt this is the case. I think he had 7 top 10 singles from that album, she appears (fairly briefly) in one video. All these multi-disc boxsets are niche product, for fans who have everything else. That is the case for all artists. Don't know why people really care how many they sell, if you want it buy it, if you don't stream it or do something else. They certainly will not be producing massive amounts of any of them. For Bruce I expect they probably sell in the 20-30K numbers. As they likely cost more than $100 each that is probably much more profit than you get from single disc new releases these days.

17. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Well, it’s all conjecture of course, and some people find sales figures interesting.
    Born in the USA happened almost four decades ago. In the popular media, it was roughly a 12 month phenomenon. It was also almost exclusively a white persons phenomenon.

Based on those factors, I’d guess that very few average Americans in 2021 remember who Bruce Springsteen is, much less what Born In The USA was. Courtney might trigger it for some folks, that’s all. I agree these are niche products although I think your estimates might be high.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I would say he is one of the most recognisable rock related persons on the planet, up there with Jagger, McCartney, Dylan etc but I may be wrong. Probably not amongst under 30s (like the others), but he is not selling product to that age group.

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  19. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Maybe. I think he is right with those guys in the US, Canada, Australia and Western Europe. In fact, I’d guess Springsteen’s fan base in Europe is now bigger than the US.

But those other guys are truly worldwide, from end to end.

PacificOceanBlue and adm62 like this.
  20. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I wouldn't even buy the ebook and doubt I could read the whole thing. Not because of Obama either. At least he sounds like a regular guy and not a replicant. I think now Bruce thinks he was president at one time.

21. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

Why, what's he waiting for?

Physical sales decline annually, his fan base gets older annually..

BeatleBruceMayer likes this.
  22. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Bruce is really starting to remind me of my Uncle Jack. A self-obsessed old guy that keeps telling the same stories over and over. When you gently indicate you’ve already heard the story, they just plow ahead and keep telling it anyway.

PacificOceanBlue and babyblue like this.
  23. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

Broadway/Autobiography/Western Stars film/Letter to You.

After nearly 5 years of telling the same stories, he really needs to get out on the road again and tour.

24. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

He needs grandkids. Grandkids command attention, and keep the old folks occupied.
    His kids need to get down to business.

Taxman, NunoBento and babyblue like this.
  25. boe

boe Forum Resident

Garth Brooks was notorious for putting out a boxset that was nothing more than a collection of his previous albums and selling it for near cost just so he could use to multiplier of “copies sold” for each disc in the set in his quest to become the biggest selling artist of all-time.