Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

Many say he made some of the best records anywhere from 73 to 87. Some say since then, not so much.
    What do you think happened? Your honest opinion...positive, negative and otherwise...on this and all things Springsteen is welcome here.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Lost his youthful fire. Maybe due to marriage, divorce, kids.

3. Dr. Zoom

I know the feeling..

4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH Forums.

It can be difficult to sustain innovation and creativity over decades to the same level as when the artist is young and fresh. What was initially seen as a breath of fresh air slowly becomes the artist's style, and the exciting novelty wears off to become just another album in the artist's style.

To give Bruce some credit, he has tried to do some different stuff, like the Pete Seeger album.

Bossfan, EwaWoowa, cporcp and 16 others like this.
  5. Dr. Zoom

Yes, I personally loved the Seeger Sessions album and tour. Very fresh and organic (even though it's not his music).

Bossfan, alchemy, jricc and 4 others like this.
  6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle Forum Resident

He's not 25 years old anymore and neither are we.

Bossfan, EwaWoowa, Cyberhog9 and 18 others like this.
  7. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

I dont believe its true that Springsteen has not made great records since 87.

Human Touch, Lucky Town, Ghost of Tom Joad, The Rising, Wrecking Balls are all great Springsteen records. (As least of the ones I have heard. If you are a Springsteen fan, they are great. If you are not -- they may or may not connect with you -- but in the grand realm of things, it doesnt matter because Springsteen and aritsts like him do not really ride trends and waves. He's in the mold of Bob Dylan or Pete Seger .. they make the music they make for the fans they have and pickup along the way.)

But I think over all, Springsteen has had a much better track record of consistently releasing very very good and relevant records than artists such as the Rolling Stones over the recent years.

Athalwolf, Bossfan, GMfan87' and 16 others like this.
  8. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I think “The Rising” And “Magic” specifically are outstanding Records in Bruce’s career. I don’t think he has had the consistency that he did from Greetings - Born in The USA but i can’t think of many artists that have had that long of a run. I am a massive Bruce fan and can find stuff that i love on all of his records but i do think the 2 Records i mentioned above could be mentioned along with his “glory days” (pun intended) albums.

Bossfan, thxphotog, Lupe Lu and 18 others like this.
  9. Dr. Zoom

I agree. The Rising and Magic are the two best post 99.
    His last three have been clunkers IMO, hopefully the next one will be a return to form. If he ever gets off Broadway...

GMfan87', andrewskyDE, levi and 4 others like this.
  10. Dr. Zoom

True. I love the stones, but couldn't quote you a Rolling Stones song title since 1990.

spindly, Keith V and Bobguitar like this.
  11. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Although I’d been aware of him since BITUSA, I didn’t actively investigate him till The Rising and I’ve worked backwards and forwards ever since I don’t really see a dip in quality over the course of his career. If anything, the songwriting’s become more adventurous and the lyrics more universal.

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The ghost of Tom Joad is pretty great. The Rising has a bunch of good songs, but also to many clunkers. Don't like the production either.
    Magic is my favorite since Tom Joad. Bad sounding and all.

But I don't listen to much studio when it's comes to Springsteen. He's a live act. Same with the Grateful Dead for me

Bossfan, MonkeyMan, somnar and 3 others like this.
  13. Dr. Zoom

"The Wall" is a good example of universal songwriting, and one his best post 99 efforts.

14. Dr. Zoom

Yeah, I always find myself gravitating towards the live stuff. And I agree that the Rising is too long. He could have cut 2-3 songs off that and made it more focused, as Magic was. Production is crummy too. Way too much compression.

Purple and budwhite like this.
  15. detroit muscle

He has an album recorded and ready to be released. The River tour delayed it and now the Broadway show has meant no time to promote a new record. Traditional Bruce would scrap this record and start a new one but who knows.

Fullbug, GMfan87' and Dr. Zoom like this.
  16. Dr. Zoom

Any read on the details? Band? Solo?

17. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Human Touch was the first truly disappointing Springsteen album. It was glossy, generic, overlong and the best track on the album, the title cut, sits in the shadow of the strongest compositions from the previous album, Tunnel of Love. Lucky Town was a bit better in that it was a more cohesive effort but it very much sounded like the glorified demo that it was with some of the best tracks (Better Days, Living Proof, Souls of the Departed) lessened by a plodding sameness. The Ghost of Tom Joad is the best sounding and perhaps the most interesting of his post E Street solo albums and it's the one I seem to return to the most.

The Rising is the first of Springsteen's "new sound" albums: congested, bloated and mastered too loud. It's also three to five tracks too long. Sometimes less is more. Magic is easily my favorite of his reunion albums, at least in terms of songwriting and performance - not so much in terms of production or dynamics. I agree with the earlier poster who noted Springsteen's three most recent efforts are a bit underwhelming.

That said, there are genuinely great tracks scattered throughout his post Tunnel of Love output with some songs standing alongside his best from the classic era: the live version of American Skin, Nothing Man, Paradise, My City of Ruins, Leah, Black Cowboys, Long Walk Home, Devil's Arcade, Girls in Their Summer Clothes, The Last Carnival, We Are Alive, and The Wall.

18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Purpose.
    Springsteen basically sacrificed everything for the belief that rock 'n roll music would save him, With BitUSA crushing the world he proved right. No Backstreets for him. He achieved his artistic goal. His vision came true.
    After that, he became a regular singer songwriter and mega entertaining performer.
    The three brides on the back cover of The River represents lost loves on his way to success.

JM Jones, somnar, krock2009 and 7 others like this.
  19. Dr. Zoom

Agree with pretty much everything you say. I'd add land of hope n dreams to the list.

levi likes this.
  20. Dr. Zoom

Whoa that's deep!

krock2009, Adam9, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  21. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

There's a general Springsteen discussion thread. Is one not allowed to be candid in that one?

22. Dr. Zoom

"No comment"

23. Efus

Efus Forum Resident

Solo.
    Said to be influenced by Glen Campbell and his 60s sound, Galveston, Witchita Lineman, etc, country flavored with strings kind of things.

JM Jones, somnar, krock2009 and 3 others like this.
  24. Dr. Zoom

Thanks. Uh boy. Well, I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

25. detroit muscle

solo but not Joad/Nebraska. He telephoned E Street radio in December 2015 and mentioned it. This was when The River tour was only going to be a month long and not the year long trek it became

Stari Vrag and Dr. Zoom like this.