Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I never bought the Ties set, but I do occasionally look for a bargain on it. There does seem to be a disconnect between the Bruce camp and what his hardcore fans would buy. It's like cutting the Tracks set down from 6 to 4 to hit some price point for a mass market that does not exist. Do it right, price it fairly and everyone would benefit greatly. Same thing goes for the live releases.

2. HarvG

HarvG Forum Resident

Just came across this:

GLUDFSSR and Rockford & Roll like this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I enjoyed this very much. Aoife is a lovely lass

Jimbino, teodoro and babyblue like this.
  4. John22

John22 Forum Resident

5. HarvG

HarvG Forum Resident

Unless I missed it, I have not read about Springsteen (or his camp on his behalf) acknowledging the passing of Little Richard.

Is it me, or does that seem odd at all?

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Who cares and why it is important? We already know that Springsteen likes Little Richard.
    This is the interweb at it's worst when people demand a respons to everything.
    Not saying that you are but you get the gist...

Girlpower, Lewisboogie and posnera like this.
  7. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Mike M likes this.
  8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Why CBS didn't get a Xmas 1979 album from Bruce is really amazing. He could have followed with another the next Summer. He had the choice steak on the grill by the Fall of '79.

9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

SteveFff and Rockford & Roll like this.
  10. HarvG

HarvG Forum Resident

Thank you for your thoughtful response to my question.

11. HarvG

HarvG Forum Resident

12. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

Muhammad Ali? That’s a strange analogy.

13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yeah, not the most self-aware.

14. Dr. Zoom

A friend pointed out to me....The Ali analogy would be apt in 1976-78 (lawsuit years). But in 2020?
    Eh, no.

twicks likes this.
  15. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

No, I don’t think the Ali analogy works at all, for any time period. He lost years due to a principled stance on war and racism, and was vilified by many people on top of that. Bruce has taken political stances and suffered some loss of fans due to similar stances, but otherwise never had to sacrifice for his beliefs the way Ali did. Not even close.
    Bruce is usually very thoughtful so I tend to believe it was an offhanded remark.

BeatleBruceMayer likes this.
  16. Dr. Zoom

...or Ted Williams sacrificing his prime years to serve in WW2.

Bruce talks too much sometimes.

boe, budwhite and Paul J like this.
  17. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

I did love this line though:

"“Empty and unused time, I don’t care for — especially at 70,” he said. “I’m counting my days and, my friend, I’ve got things to do that involve me and you"

The "involve me and you" line, and use of the word "friend" speaks to much to the connection he has with his fans, beautiful line, can't imagine another artist saying that.

18. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

He had another good playlist too. He gave a nice nod to Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields. Relatable comments about what he'd like to do around his old stomping grounds post-pandemic.

19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

When Bruce plays slightly odd (for him) stuff it feels like when Obama puts out his "end of year" lists with St. Vincent, the National, and a bunch of other artists his interns compiled for him.

20. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

I've always had the sense he listens to everything, because he still sees every other musical artists and band as competitors.

On the Elvis Costello TV series "Spectacle", he talks about searching out the early Clash singles because the first album wasn't available in the states yet. Even thought that was a while ago, it sounds like a guy who likes to keep in the know of things that are current.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Rockford & Roll likes this.
  21. estband

estband Well-Known Member

I'd take that 2-track soundboard in a heartbeat!

Here's an interesting interview with TS that I recently ran across (the Bruce content starts at the 49 minute mark):

http://rocknrollarchaeology.com/dee...n-rock-toby-scott-on-engineering-for-the-boss

And the following tantalizing quote is from the July 2000 issue of MIX Magazine, which featured an interview with Toby:

"The Sony/Columbia tape vault, where the music is archived, is currently home to about 4,700 Springsteen reels, approximately 1,500 of which are live performances. Before Sony’s library was computerized, Scott had developed his own database for the tapes, which he now interfaces with the official Sony one."

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  22. estband

estband Well-Known Member

While streaming YouTube a few nights ago I found this, which was recently uploaded:

Springsteen: His Hometown exhibit at the Monmouth County Historical Association in Freehold, New Jersey

23. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

24. windfall

windfall Forum Resident

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  25. windfall

windfall Forum Resident