Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

That is not true. Long lecture?

He sure did say that he needed a lot of quiet for the evening and he *jokingly* suggested to tell your neighbour 'to shut the **** up" if you needed so. That's all, it took 30 seconds.

So, no long lectures. Sorry. This is a FACT as documented in many bootlegs and recordings.

I can understand that you may have not enjoyed the show or even you "suffered" through it, but no need to lie. Most of the shows were very similar and it was the Joad tour.

J

905, walrus, jlocke08 and 2 others like this.
  2. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

I would think the opening lecture varied in length depending if he was playing a friendly region.
    Never heard the jokes, what kind of jokes did he make?

3. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut

Just listened to bruce tonight Live in New York recent reissued vinyl and the reissued The Rising on vinyl . Youngstown still blows my head off . Yeah the Rising could be cpl tracks shorter , but its a cracking album. love the last one too , remember hes not in his 20s now, like most of us hes looking back on his life etc Hope he tours next year , if anyone at all does though given the virus . Brooooooooooos

905, adm62 and Rockford & Roll like this.
  4. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

You obviously never saw The Seeger Sessions band live, boy did they swing!

5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

Oh the jokes...it's been a long, long time since I listened to that set, but I recall some of it was just really stupid sex jokes that Bruce would then laugh or giggle after like they were the funniest thing he'd heard, but they were really dumb. I can't remember exactly what he said....if I recall correctly, he liked telling jokes with puns, that sort of thing.

musicaner likes this.
  6. babyblue

babyblue Pactches Pal!

So he needs other people's songs and different musicians to swing. That kind of proves my point.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  7. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

They did lots of Bruce originals too. He led the band and selected the musicians. Hard to "swing" without others.

8. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

Friendly regions? It's hard to understand what you're talking about. Not playing your game, sorry. We all get it: you are smarter than the rest.

J

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  9. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

he said that max and the estreet band couldnt swing not that seeger band couldnt swing

10. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

No he didn't.

11. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

He's just a troll, never says anything good about Springsteen.

GLUDFSSR, Jesus Jeronimo and Oatsdad like this.
  12. babyblue

babyblue Pactches Pal!

Yes, I did.

musicaner likes this.
  13. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

E Street Band may be implied, but not specifically mentioned. He has had a number of different bands since 1974 including the one I mentioned.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  14. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut

The seeger sessions is brilliant , crack open a drink , even have a dance around youre living room . Musics all about enjoying and living in that moment . Very talented bunch of musicians on that album.

bob chabot, jlocke08, JohnB and 2 others like this.
  15. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

16. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

17. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

Re the new song, I love it

“Spoke” briefly, in words, with Ron Aniello on Instagram tonight. He told me the album was indeed recorded in 5 days with no overdubs, just the band playing the songs live in the studio like in the ‘80s.

Can’t wait...

GMfan87', Rockford & Roll and teodoro like this.
  18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock FPSHOT Archivist in Waiting

19. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Yes they seem such odd choices for 2020 re-recordings. But hey these songs deserve to live somewhere. I wonder when the other songs date from?

walrus likes this.
  20. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

I presume the rest are new. (Or new-ish)

Unlike others, I'm fine with him re-recording old unreleased songs, especially in cases where a vintage full-band multitrack recording may not exist. Juxtaposing these pre-Greetings ones with new songs is super weird, however. Wouldn't mind a whole album of old unreleased songs cut live in the studio by the band, but I'm curious how the flow is going to be between them.

Syscrusher and Mike M like this.
  21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I don't think many are opposed to new versions of unreleased songs, as long as they aren't promoted as being unreleased "recordings".
    Whether or not they will work with the new material remains to be seen. I'm in the camp that hasn't been too impressed with much of the second half of his career, so I'm excited to hear him work up the old songs. I'm especially interested in hearing If I Was The Priest, which has been a personal favorite since I first heard the Hammond demos.

budwhite and beatboy1975 like this.
  22. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

I'm interested in hearing that with a full band. I've heard all those bootlegged early demos, but probably not more than once...solo acoustic demos just aren't very interesting to me (unless I can contrast them with a finished, produced take). I don't really care what he does with old stuff in the cases when there isn't a releasable version available, but I know others feel very strongly about this. If he did a whole record of new recordings of never-released songs (mostly) live in the studio with the ESB, I'd be into it.

beatboy1975 likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Forum Resident

One very cynical rational with those 3 tracks on the album make it "critic proof" to long time ESB hardcore fans. The ones that crap on most of his new stuff since BUSA or have trouble with ESB minus Danny/Clarence.

Bruce has pandered to those fans in the past when it comes to setlists and stuff like Darkness outtakes set passing off 2010 recordings as 1977.

Syscrusher likes this.
  24. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

Pandered? or just he wanted to play it / release stuff. I guess you’re cynical rational might say something about you, too?

kmk pdx and budwhite like this.
  25. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

As someone who ATTENDED all Sydney GOTJ shows and absolutely was smoked by how superlative they all were, pin-droppingly quiet performances in a wonderful theatre a) I am glad the tour extended into 1997 and b) I laughed at his jokes as well.

Yep I have Sydney Night, along with about 50-60 other boots of this tour. It was a brilliant, expansive and ever expanding, evolving show. Amongst his very best.

And, he wasn’t “treating” his audience in any fashion. He was simply asking for quiet, in Bruce-speak, which we fans know can be a little choice. Just like, I would hazard a guess, most of us speak occasionally.

Honestly...