Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Bozzio would have been an intriguing choice -- not based on his virtuoso playing with Zappa and Jeff Beck, but he clearly could play the traditional pop dominating Springsteen's then-sound due to his tenure in the Missing Persons. Still, if one looks at Porcaro's resume, his style, sound and ability really was a good fit for what Springsteen was doing circa 1992.

With respect to his book, he really did gloss over the early 1990's. Not that he needed to go into a lot of detail about one of his less artistically and commercially viable periods, but it was a big deal at the time, and his recollections and assessment on the period musically would have been interesting, particularly his approach and reasons for deciding on the new band.

2. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

They weren't called the E Street band until late 74, that lineup also included Roy and Max and then Steve joined in mid 75.

So the current line up contains 4 people who were either in the first band that was actually called the E St band or who joined soon after.

Gary
    Max
    Roy
    Steve

The other 2 members from late 74 have died. Completely correct to call them the E St band once the decision was made to continue after the deaths of Danny and Clarence.

3. PacificOceanBlue

What rumors? They had no money coming in from the label, nor was the band generating big money on the road. How could they have been living high on the hog back in '75? It has been documented that during the second half of the 1970's, things got so tight that there was a belief the band might fold. No one needs to see the Tallent interview to know the band was not living high on the hog in '75.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Davido and budwhite like this.
  4. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

IMO he was trying to recoup after paying off EStreet. The Other Band was very guitar heavy, the rhythm section was mixed low. IMO because they werent very good.

5. PacificOceanBlue

Bruce can call it the E Street band even if only one guy remains. In this day and age, The Who tour without Entwistle and Moon, Fleetwood Mac tours without Lindsey Buckingham (and toured with out Christine McVie for nearly 20 years), The Eagles are going out without Glenn Frey (and Felder, Leadon, and Meisner), and Lynyrd Skynyrd is down to one original member. It doesn't matter anymore. The brands are often bigger than the actual members in this era.

twicks likes this.
  6. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

The interviewer was certainly shocked. He seemed in a state of shock right after Gary said 1985, and never recovered,he tried to bring it back to 1975. They were broke AFTER the lawsuit into 1985.
    Born to Run, Darkness and The River were all NO 1 albums.

7. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

The bass player was great, I thought. Just the drums were weak. That horrible snare sound that also ruined River Of Dreams. No bueno.

musicaner likes this.
  8. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

You could barely hear the bass.
    I liked the back up singers best hes ever had. The guitar player was Ok good but not great. Except for his squiggly dancing.
    But the whole thing was an EStreet re do with comedy routines etc.

9. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Bruce calls them the "E Street Band" on the Agora '74 show (June 3), which is the David Sancious and Boom Carter lineup. Apparently this was happening at the Harvard Square Theater show in May too, but I don't have a copy of that one.

It's an interesting question though: was Vini Lopez a member of the E Street Band? Pretty much anybody familiar with the band would say "yes, of course". But it doesn't seem like they were called that when he was a member, which up through Feb 1974.

10. mike_mike

mike_mike neurodiverse

Seems the "E Street Band" appellation was formalized with Sancious and Carter during the breakdown while recording Born to Run. Tallent alludes to the long period of little money coming in. It boils down to the simple fact that Springsteen and Landau had no idea what they were doing in the studio during the period in which the classic LPs were made. Steve Popovich rescued the band following the '75 tour, when the lawsuit intervened. Most of E Street played on a number of different records for other artists before the BITUSA sessions took shape. Springsteen was signed to Columbia as a solo artist, and seemed indifferent to the plight of his musicians. Not the greatest circumstances for anyone involved, save the guy with the contract, and his manager.

Jimmy B. and musicaner like this.
  11. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

The River was Springsteen's first #1 album. Born to Run peaked at #3 and Darkness on the Edge of Town peaked at #5 in the US.

12. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Unbelievable.
    I took it for granted they were NO 1

905 likes this.
  13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Just a human, a victim of the insane.

Nah,
    he really didn't have a hit til The River and (blecch) Hungry Heart.
    Interesting that the thread about archive releases is where the talk about the SNL mess is on, and not here. No matter.....

MrSka57 likes this.
  14. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Just a human, a victim of the insane.

Two classic albums were made before Bruce brought in Landau who had no idea how to produce him (or any rock and roll artist - listen to the MC5's Back In The USA).
    Also Sancious and Carter, Carter only recorded on Born To Run the song, and then it was Roy and Max.
    No Landau producing on the song Born To Run - notice how much better it sounds than the rest of the album.
    (Including She's The One where he and Bruce fell asleep at the panel and so it's in mono)

15. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Resident

Wasn't Gary Mallaber his "main" drummer for the Lucky Town album? It would make sense for him to take Mallaber out on the road to tour the album, at least in my mind. But hey, maybe he was too expensive a drummer, and paying for six backing singers can be very demanding of one's finances :D

16. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Embarrassingly out of tune on SNL.

17. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Id have thought so too, but maybe Mallaber didn’t want to tour for that long. He played on later non-E-Street records, so obviously they have a good relationship. I’d love to know if he was asked. He seems like a perfectly fine drummer but maybe there was something else intangible Bruce was looking for for the road gig that was different than the studio sessions. I’m not sure Bruce had a total understanding of what he wanted at the time either, but the only way to find out was to actually go out and try things.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Sadly, your first point is true. The self-mythologizing , the way every new album comes with a self-contained publicity kit telling you how to feel about the album--along with a documentary showing Bruce looking all serious and pensive, like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I loved Western Stars at first listen and couldn't stop playing it. I guess part of it was that I had almost written him off as an artist capable of greatness so the album obliterated that idea. However, that album was good enough to speak for itself. All the pre-publicity about Jimmy Webb and Glen Campbell and the sophisticated sound of late '60's country pop was bunk. The album sounds little like that, and it's telling that that the Campbell song Bruce ended up covering was "Rhinestone Cowboy"--which if anyone told you in 1975, the year of Born to Run ,that Bruce would cover-- you would have looked at him like he was nuts.

Ironically, if there's anything that Bruce has recorded that sounds anything like classic Webb/Campbell, it's the title track of Working on a Dream.

I had hoped that Bruce would follow up Western Stars with a stronger album, but Letter to You ain't it. It's a good album, entertaining to listen to once in awhile, but there are too many weak songs. It doesn't grab me. I know the angle on the album is old friends who are no longer here--but Bruce is!--just rings hollow to me. It's almost as if Bruce is proud that he's the last man standing.
    I know that sounds unfair and maybe it is, but again the publicity that surrounds each new album attempts to stage-manage your perceptions of the album, and this is what I get out of the songs and the hype.

Also, I have this sinking feeling that Bruce is now a stranger to the world inhabited by most of his fans. It's not the million of dollars. It's that he has lost that ability to connect.
    Well, he's lost that ability to connect with this fan.

davers, Davido, jeremylr and 6 others like this.
  19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Agree 100 percent.

JoeF., phillyal1 and babyblue like this.
  20. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mallaber is more of a session drummer than touring drummer (although he could clearly do it).
    Seems that Springsteen wanted a young, multi racial, mixed gender soul-type band for that 92 tour. Mallaber is an excellent drummer, but I’m guessing he didn’t fit the profile Springsteen had in mind.

walrus likes this.
  21. babyblue

babyblue Pactches Pal!

The self-mythologizing in Bruce's later career is what's really gotten tiresome for me. Ironically, it was the album of non-originals, the Seeger Sessions, that brought it home for me how much Bruce has placed the mantle of American Troubadour on his shoulders. I could barely make it through the Western Stars and the new doc with all the pontificating.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    theebrianrector42 likes this.
  22. HonestDenver

HonestDenver Forum Resident

Wow. Came here to post something similar to your thoughts. I just watched his interview on Fallon, and not only was he too cool for school. Hardly able to look Jimmy in the eye, but he looked really unhappy and when asked questions about himself he reverted to this script from the broadway show?? Like are you kidding me? Don't know if he's had too many facelifts over the years, but his monotone woe is me expression with an occasional forced smile is gross to me... Like, lighten up a bit Bruce... You're 70, you made another album.. It doesn't have to be promoted as your best work... It's a decent album.. but it's not going to save the world... He honestly looked like he didn't want to be on the show at all..

Also, I listened to the Broken Records podcast interview with him, and he might as well have been answering pre recorded questions with a PR publicists regurgitated answers.. Like come on Bruce, you're not running for office here. Why keep the cards so close to the chest after writing an intimate biography?

He's become so full of himself, I can't even put my finger on what to call it.

I happened to watch a Chuck Berry documentary Hail Hail Rock n Roll, where Bruce gets a few interviews in. It was recorded during the late 80's. Arguably peak fame for Bruce.. and he's almost a completely different person. Laughing, silly, zits on his face still... A willingness to engage with the interview with an honest response and not a canned, how do I answer this along with how do address the current political climate were in where we also discuss how hard and heavy my personal life has been... and how I'm beyond that now... Ugh...

Citrus, babyblue, davers and 4 others like this.
  23. HonestDenver

I don't think he knows himself anymore. He's become the character Bruce Springsteen... at least in public..

babyblue, kw21925 and JoeF. like this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

He's also heavily medicated, I believe.

kw21925, budwhite and INSW like this.
  25. HonestDenver

Must be.. I had the same thought.. After reading his book, it sounds like he ups the dosage as necessary.. I will not judge based on my limited knowledge of medicine and depression, but it's amazing he still comes up with so much passionate music... It must come from somewhere the medicine doesn't touch.. He just looks and acts like someone's cranky old sullen uncle or grandpa...

Citrus and JoeF. like this.