Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Efus

Efus Forum Resident

Sure doesnt sound like a party album, think more Nebraska w/ lusher production.
    If he tours it, it should be in theaters, probably multi-night.

But thats just guessing. Maybe he'll want to have fun next spring and summer with the band.
    An offer may come to tour like that....

Edit: This is from a Vanity Fair dated September 2016

“It’s a solo record, more of a singer-songwriter kind of record,” he said. Intriguingly, though, it does not follow in the spare, acoustic tradition of such previous solo albums as Nebraska, The Ghost of Tom Joad, and Devils & Dust. Rather, it’s inspired by a recent immersion in the 60s collaborations of the songwriter Jimmy Webb and the singer Glen Campbell, “pop records with a lot of strings and instrumentation,” he said. “So the record is somewhat in that vein.” That’s as much as he’ll reveal at the moment.

Sean Murdock, krock2009 and Dr. Zoom like this.
  2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lusher production. Ugh.
    (Although a theater tour would be cool)

3. Blame Landau with his bland generic vision of America, an artist's place, and rock and roll. BRuce ceased to see himself as part of the continuum of Chuck, Roy, Elvis, Van , etc., and sought to place himself with Woody, Hank, Pete, etc.,

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

Not an apples/apples comparison because the Stones have released so little material since 1997. After that year's "Bridges to Babylon", they've only put out one full album of original songs along with a handful of new tracks found on best of releases.

So that's 6 original Bruce albums - plus "Seeger" - vs. 1 original Stones album plus 6 (?) "bonus" tracks and a blues album...

savemenow and Dr. Zoom like this.
  5. Dr. Zoom

That's funny "Bruce from New Jersey"

6. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I heard that influence on the title cut of Working on a Dream. What's he waiting for?

And this segues into my main problem with Springsteen--he thinks it's still the '70's and albums have to be be spread out and curated and marketed. An artist of his stature doesn't have to play by those old rules. Just put the damn thing out when it's fresh and let your fans judge it on the merits. He can be assured of debuting the album at or near #1--for one week anyway.

I also think Jon Landau has to much influence over him.
    But that's for another post.....

7. Dr. Zoom

Quite possibly. His influence was a plus in the 70s. After that....maybe not so much.
    One thing is for sure. He helped make Bruce (and himself) very rich men.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Efus, JoeF. and budwhite like this.
  8. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Meh. I just think the musical landscape has changed

Vinyl_Blues, 2trackmind and Dr. Zoom like this.
  9. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I'm not really a fan, but I believe you have to give him his due ... I'd put him in "a treasure/iconic" category. The man has made some memorable music. On the down side, he's faded away ... as Neil would say.

savemenow and Dr. Zoom like this.
  10. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

He may have been influenced by Landau but whatever happened was always Bruce’s call. And since he basically came into his life for Born To Run moving forward, I think Landau would be proud

krock2009 and Dr. Zoom like this.
  11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Excellent point and I've long though this myself. Some artists believe their own hype---but that usually manifests itself in putting out anything --even if it's crap--and believing it's "great". Springsteen's not like that at all. He's almost the opposite in that he's constantly thinking about his reputation as some kind of Whitmanesque bard of the American Experience , or as "the voice of the working man"--a mantle he had thrust upon him, but which he accepted -- after some initial resistance. He's afraid to lose his critical standing with the media intelligentsia. And he's backed himself into a corner.

12. Dr. Zoom

As much as I am a fan, I've always thought that. In the media, criticizing Bruce Springsteen, even slightly, is strictly verboten. To some degree, I think he's gotten trapped in an echo chamber.

krock2009, Purple, Jimmy B. and 3 others like this.
  13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

But your last comment is revealing in ways you may not realize. Is it Bruce's artistic mission to "make Landau proud?"
    Mike Appel was a shark and he would have been a terrible manager long term, but did Springsteen make Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ and The Wild, The Innocent.... to "please" Appel? And yet, 45 years on these two albums stand as a portrait of a young artist willing to take chances and punch above his weight and damn the consequences. He was more experimental and throw- caution- to- the -wind than he would ever again be---he was 23 and he came up with "NYC Serenade" while at 50, he was putting out "Outlaw Pete."
    What happened??

14. Dr. Zoom

NYC serenade is sublime
    Outlaw Pete gives me a headache

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

How about his live shows with The E Street Band? Does he still have it?
    I saw two shows in 2016 and they were very good, but not as great as in 2012. But that could have been due to setlists, the audience(which was better in 2012) and how he was feeling that day etc.

He definitely puts on a worthy show, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
    Plays the hits and gives us long time fans plenty of rarities to enjoy.

Vinyl_Blues and Coltrane811 like this.
  16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Dedicated Listener

Pretty clear that this thread is dedicated to being a safe space to express disappointment, belief that Bruce is a mostly spent force, pinpoint where it all went south, and generally share a sour sense that the group of fans posting here are now too good for him.

17. Dr. Zoom

For a guy who's in his late sixties, yes. I have some issues with his recent studio stuff. Not with the live show. The live show remains outstanding.

levi and budwhite like this.
  18. budwhite

Houtlaw Pete is a stinker. It's a horrible song and his vocals on that one... well I can't stand them

DavidD, savemenow and Dr. Zoom like this.
  19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

No one can question Springsteen's commitment to give his paying customers the best show that he's capable of giving.
    And no one does.

But the day is going to come when he won't be able to perform up to his audience--and his own--expectations.
    Then what?

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Exactly. But one was the work of a relatively inexperienced ( as a songwriter) kid and the other was, what ?

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  21. Mellencamp's 2000 onward work has out Springsteen, Bruce in very effectively placing himself in the realm of (country/folk everyman)Hank, Woody, Pete, Merle, etc., very high quality, very mordant.

Bruce could really open things up, by opening the music up to his band contributing(in songwriting musically), instead of the usual one man strummeistering backed by a band.

krock2009, budwhite and Dr. Zoom like this.
  22. budwhite

I know that many fans will be dissapointed when the show is under three hours (which could happen on the next tour). But I don't see it that way. Less is more. I'm actually looking forward to a tighter show. Cut some bad songs, and the never ending false endings, long band introduction, the sign collecting etc and you are down to 2h45min

23. Dr. Zoom

Mellencamp has put out GREAT stuff recently. Too bad so few have heard it.

24. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Something changed after Tunnel Of Love.

His songwriting was never so strong again, although I do enjoy albums post this period.

savemenow, Gardo, Purple and 2 others like this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Forum Resident

I do not think there is any question, particularly over the past 15+ years. During the "Human Touch"/"Lucky Town" period, he took a hit. He "moved to Beverly Hills" (even though he had been living part-time in Los Angeles since the early 1980's), produced sleek sounding pop music, and was suddenly viewed as "uncool" by a faction of the public. But then he rehabilitated himself with the "Streets of Philadelphia" single, "Tom Joad" and finally with the E Street reunion. Since his return with "The Rising," he is almost untouchable by the music media and other mainstream outlets.

As far as his music over the past 18 years is concerned, I think it has largely been inconsistent. That of course, is a taboo point of discussion in many circles. Springsteen is not the first legacy artist not to produce uniformly great work decade after decade. Most legacy artists have seen a drop in quality and consistency, and Springsteen is no different. Most of the press and a faction of his hardcore fan base will pounce on one for suggesting such a thing, proclaiming he is better than ever on album and in concert, but IMO, the quality of the music and the writing is not what it once was.