Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I probably would put Bruce in that category but if we overlook him, then the only two examples I can think of are Van Morrison and Scott Walker. Van peaked with Astral Weeks and hasn’t come close since, but from Moondance on, he’s been consistently above average. I prefer Scott’s first five albums to whatever came after, but he’s stayed true to his vision and there’s no one else making records like him.

richierichie likes this.
  2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, often thought Rick Rubin might be a good choice. He got Petty back on track after the Jeff Lynne sound (which I really despised).

BluesOvertookMe and limoges like this.
  3. Dr. Zoom

Agree agree agree

4. windfall

windfall Forum Resident

I think he had a few. There are some outstanding songs across Human Touch and Lucky Town; I think Tom Joad is a great album. After that, it's more a matter of scattered songs across all the albums since. All IMHO.

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  5. Dr. Zoom

Petty kept his music more organic and authentic. Band remained small, tight and focused. And his recent records had far better production than Bruce's.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    laf848, kw21925 and budwhite like this.
  6. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

I think James Taylor has maintained consistency throughout his entire career most or less.

fab4ever and Dr. Zoom like this.
  7. Dr. Zoom

Since his solo career started in 96, Mark Knopfler has maintained very high quality and consistency IMHO.

Bossyman likes this.
  8. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Yep

9. Dr. Zoom

I've heard some say Prince maintained a high quality, but have no way of knowing. I always admired him from afar.

fab4ever likes this.
  10. Dr. Zoom

In Springsteens case, his bouts of depression may (sadly) have something to do with his uneven results. It's tough to go to work and be on top of your game when depression has got you by the tail.

Martin Byrne and Jimmy B. like this.
  11. Dr. Zoom

I'd love to see this. One last whack at the ball. It can't be any worse than the last few duds.

12. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I believe the statement "life trumps art" in his autobiography is Bruce's explanation for why the second half of his career is not lauded like his first half. I believe he is saying his personal life required more attention in the second half of his career and the art suffered.

davers and Dr. Zoom like this.
  13. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

Or maybe it makes him produce his best work? Darkness? Nebraska?

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  14. Dr. Zoom

In some ways, it could be argued that his book is his best release over the last 25 years. I thought it was masterfully executed.

kw21925 and stewedandkeefed like this.
  15. Dr. Zoom

Good point. Until I read the book I didn't realize the depth of the hole he was in in 82. Scary.

adm62 likes this.
  16. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I found his descriptions of his relationship with his father to be profoundly moving. The description of being sent into taverns by his mother to retrieve his father just struck me as so emotionally resonant. And the later description of Douglas showing up unannounced at rock star Bruce's home to say "I wasn't very good to you" and, most importantly, Bruce's assertion that that was all he ever needed was a life lesson worth printing. I think Bob Dylan dwarfs Bruce Springsteen as an artist but I would never look to Bob Dylan as someone who was a role model on how to live life. But I found some of Bruce's observations in his autobiography showed him to be a man who could teach the world a thing or two about common decency.

17. Dr. Zoom

Yeah, decency is a good term. The line "there was a constant sense of unease in my house" and "my dad was 45 and friendless, I was the only person he could talk to". Gut wrenching stuff.

18. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Hard to be taken seriously as "the voice of the working man" while wearing $300 jeans.

richierichie and Jimmy B. like this.
  19. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

For a split second in the spring of 1992, Bruce apparently flirted with this idea. His first Saturday Night Live performance is what his version of a stripped down rock outfit might have sounded like.

budwhite likes this.
  20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

Don't forget the cost of the Broadway tickets. That was pretty depressing for me when that was announced, that he was charging that.

Dr. Zoom and Duke Fame like this.
  21. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

I used to wish he would have made an album with just hi, Steve, Garry and Max. But it looks like that will never happen (just a wish once of mine anyway, stripping his sound down to a 'basic' rock and roll sound). (I don't count Steel Mill, which I love, as basic rock and roll)

Davido and Dr. Zoom like this.
  22. Dr. Zoom

I was always surprised he couldn't get better musicians for that tour. I mean...The bass player was recruited from a Christian rock band.

23. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

But on the other hand, he's been working really hard for many years and has earned those $300 jeans! :)

To me he is an American treasure. Like all the artists I've come to admire, they are getting older, have a different perspective on life than when they were young. The voices age/change. He is just an older version of his younger self. The guy who wrote Born to Run is 68 years old. I certainly don't think his output is any less worthy in the later years. It just reflects where he is now. Hard to compare the 70's to the 2010's in any respect. A lot of time has passed.

24. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Oh, no doubt he's earned it. That's one thing I would definitely defend him on.

John Adam and Jimmy B. like this.
  25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'm not sure I'd write Dylan off so quickly in the way you mention. He's had several children and they all apparently are doing well enough that so that none of them have had the urge to write a "Daddy Dearest"-type book. In fact, raising them was one of the reasons he was relatively quiet from around '67-'74.
    Same with Springsteen. He took an active roll in raising his kids too and again, they all seem to be doing well--and I'm not talking financially.

enro99 likes this.