Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

Don't bet on it. I have seen a lot of hypocritical rock stars in my life.

moonshiner likes this.
  2. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

Ha! Yeah I totally thought that too, Messiah complex or what?

musicaner likes this.
  3. boe

boe Forum Resident

Just announced. No E Street tour in 2019.

4. dprokopy

dprokopy Forum Resident

I can only assume "various recording projects" means the new album in the spring, and most likely a BITUSA box set at the end of the year (35th anniversary in 2019).

I'm betting there will be a tour tied in with that in 2020.

Bruce turns 70 in September. I can't believe there won't be something big tied in with that.

Mooserfan and budwhite like this.
  5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Forum Resident

Most likely project for 2019 will be the 35th anniversary BITUSA box in the first half of the year and whatever new album he’s working on for the late Nov holiday peak buying season with a Spring 2020 tour to support the album.

6. dprokopy

dprokopy Forum Resident

The Darkness box set came out November 16, 2010. The River box came out December 4, 2015. I can almost guarantee the BITUSA box will come out in late in the year, not earlier. A tour in 2020 could capitalize on both releases.

I would expect they're counting on the momentum from the Broadway show and Netflix to drive interest in a "new" album. The interest in the box set is built in already among his hardcore fans, and these types of anniversary box sets almost always come out around Christmas (as we're seeing now).

jlocke08 likes this.
  7. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Forum Resident

You’re probably right. If anything, just the BITUSA box in Nov and whatever new album late in 2020 so they can tour it around the election.

8. INSW

INSW Forum Resident

Like a party?

graveyardboots and Alan57 like this.
  9. INSW

INSW Forum Resident

Momentum?

Hype around anything these days and any subsequent momentum lasts a few days.

10. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

I did not think much of the trailer. I have not seen the show in Broadway and I recognise that the whole concept is not extremely appealing to me (although I really enjoyed the first half of his book, second part was very similar to his encores in the live shows: uneventful, unsurprising and dragging a bit).

I am looking forward to seeing the show in Netflix, but my first thought when watching the trailer was that the whole thing seemed a little bit boring. And it's two hours and a half of that.

J

11. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ll be content to watch it on Netflix.
    As opposed to coughing up a mortgage payment to see it in person.

windfall likes this.
  12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Forum Resident

I agree about a big 2020 tour and Q4 releases for Bruce boxes.

I have trouble with when the solo album and non-ESB solo tour fits into the mix. If there's live work in 2019, then it means he was busy in 2016/2017/2018/2019/2020. I don't see him releasing a solo album without live work or limited touring.

I don't think he has political relevance outside a couple districts in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

13. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

trite been there seen that. we know it. he used to tell the long dramatic story when he played its my life. adam raised a cain etc i cant stand independence day. i like cadillac ranch and for a rocker and sherry darling.

which means no album. little steven must have booked another tour nobody shows up for.
    he has 'recording projects now'.

couldnt watch the entire promo. no way. 'my dad was my hero and greatest foe'. no special for me.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    moonshiner likes this.
  14. INSW

INSW Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to the show and album. Would've loved to have made the trip the NYC to see it in person but a trip would've cost a few grand and I reserve that sort of cash for surgeries and Barbara Eden dinner theater appearences.

15. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Human Touch and Lucky Town are cheesy, generic.....almost to the point of sounding like contractual obligations.

There's been a slight element of this in a lot of the records since except The Ghost of Tom Joad.....I didn't like at the time but it has aged well.

But Rolling $tone absolutely loves it all.

16. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Not a Springsteen fan, but The Ghost of Tom Joad is a favourite LP of mine!

JG

graveyardboots and moople72 like this.
  17. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

100 percent.( 'where are we going together as a people'?)

Andre Acvedo likes this.
  18. Efus

Efus Forum Resident

Well clearly you didnt read the first part of his biography, or at best, didnt understand it.

But good luck wrestling with that decision to watch the Broadway show.
    Courage. :rolleyes:

brettster808 and Mfj55 like this.
  19. Efus

Efus Forum Resident

Its a question on the minds of a lot of people paying attention these days.
    But clearly smaller things are on your mind. Carry on.

Mfj55 likes this.
  20. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

I find it amusing/ infuriating that all of your posts are critical of Springsteen but veiled as a “longtime” fan. By universal accounts, the Broadway show is loaded with material where Bruce takes himself to task, all but confirming that Bruce Springsteen is a creation. That is not what I would call a pretentious approach to this show. You call yourself a longtime fan but you won’t tune in to a show that has garnered universal praise from professional critics who would have been more then pleased to rip Springsteen to shreds for his show. They have been won over and have continued to heap praise on this show. Yet you have no interest in tuning in. Indeed I must commend you for being skilled at feining fandom but no one reading you posts could believe it for a minute.

21. Dr. Zoom

I believe that he’s been a fan for a long time, that he loves the earlier stuff, and that he doesn’t like the more recent stuff.
    All very believable.

22. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

No longtime fan would dismiss the show outright. It does contain songs from his most successful years. It is also funny, moving and intense. Why would a so-called fan not take a chance on it. But this tread is loaded with folks who have been eager to take a shot at Springsteen. Can’t help but feeling that his political views are at the core of it. I’m not saying that all of his work is up to the legend, (stand up and take a bow WOAD). But there are those who are taking him to task for not releasing his best records of his career at near 70 years old. Ridiculous, and those folks are missing the point that they being older will never hear music with the same excitement they felt when they were 18 and Born to Run was presented to them.

23. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

Several people posting here just don't seem to like Bruce Springsteen at all. That's fair enough (and no crime), curious that they need to keep saying it over and over again though. I have seen the Broadway show and it was completely wonderful, I doubt very much whether the feeling of being there will transfer to a Netflix special, I may not watch it, but I've seen the show. Would recommend it to anyone who was ever a fan of him. Not recommended to people who want to just nitpick everything he ever sings, does or says.

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I’m in the same boat. I consider myself a pretty big Springsteen fan. I don’t care much for his recent work. Ghost of Tom Joaf was the last album I gave any real time to. I did like Seeger Sessions though.
    I kind of feel like the E Street reunion (which may have been the only way for him to maintain arena/stadium levels of touring success) really marked the end of his really creative/innovative period.
    I am excited to see the Netflix special as I didn’t want to pay the price of the Broadway show.
    I don’t see why being a fan requires you to like all of an artist’s work.

DavidD, laf848 and Dr. Zoom like this.
  25. Dr. Zoom

I'm a lifelong Democrat. Try again.

graveyardboots likes this.