Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Amen.

Same here pretty much.
    Did like SS when it came out, but got bored with it quick and haven't returned to the record or any live show.
    I guess I'm checking out the Broadway show eventually, but not excited about it.

2. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

There is a great album contained within Human Touch and Lucky Town. I wish he had released that one, instead of both. I was hoping for another Nebraska with Tom Joad, but was disappointed. I love Youngstown though.

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I like his 70s stuff best. I also like The River and Darkness On the Edge of Town. His other stuff just doesn't really interest me except for The Rising.

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Count me as one who has always liked some of Bruce's music, own NEBRASKA but have always found him to be disingenuous. I cannot think of him as being on the same emotional and sincerity level as a Neil Young or Cohen or Dylan, I just don't buy it. He seems like he's been doing an impression of an "American" for 40 years.
    Also, and I think this is telling: he tends to attract fans from the middle class or upper middle class who find the Dylans, Youngs and Cohens too obscure and messily intense. They are! Bruce is much more calculated than these artists.

5. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i dont think going anywhere with bruce is in the minds of anyone outside of the remains of his hard core base.

no netflix for me i dont need guidance.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    warewolf95 and Andre Acvedo like this.
  6. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Is there anyone more calculated than Dylan in all of music though? He purposefully tried to sabotage his career time and time again releasing weirdly compiled albums and spent a considerable amount of his earlier career lying about his origins and experience as a musician. The difference is that he's crafting a mysterious image. Which is fine, Dylan's a genius. And so is Springsteen.

905, enro99, jlocke08 and 2 others like this.
  7. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I think Bruce is the genuine article, but I also am certain he is totally aware of his image and consciously uses it to his advantage.

majorlance, rcb30 and DABarrios like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Forum Resident

Really? This one did. I read the book, I know the story. The Broadway show represents what I do not like at this point in Springsteen's career. I have no interest in hearing him talk about himself, make quips, verbally present his current social/political thoughts, and see the audience fawn over every word of his giant ego trip. There are plenty of artists with catalogues of music that I admire, some periods more than others. For example, I very much like David Crosby, but I would not want to sit through a solo acoustic performance with stories and thoughts in the same vein as Springsteen's show. It seems as though you cannot separate the music from the man -- just because I find Springsteen somewhat annoying circa 2018 does not mean I therefore have to dismiss his work altogether. His music is not all about him. I am a big fan of Springsteen's work from 1972 - 1992, after that period, I think his work is filled with diminishing returns. The fact that I find him personally annoying all these years later does not change the fact that I still very much like quite a bit of his work.

I am glad you connected with it. Again, the format does not appeal to me.

See above.

Eager is not accurate. This thread is an open discussion about the man and his work. It appears that some people cannot understand how a faction of fans can sincerely admire some of his music, but at the some time, have criticisms about some of his other music and the artist himself. This thread is frankly a breath of fresh air. It will be sad if content is restricted to blind enthusiasm from Springsteen cheerleaders.

Perhaps some of it is. Not every Springsteen fan agrees with Springsteen's views and forays into overt political discourse and posturing. Isn't that the right of Americans, to have the choice to disagree with other political viewpoints, or to frown on artists who try to force their political viewpoints on others? There is not some rule that states to be a Springsteen fan, one must agree with every one of his viewpoints, or how he conveys them. If Springsteen has alienated some of his fan-base, that is simply the reality of the times, and a price he was willing to take when he wrote op-eds in the New York Times, traveled on Air Force One, cancelled concerts, and campaigned for political candidates. Additionally, some of this has nothing to do with personal political viewpoints, because whether they are in line with Springsteen's or not, some fans simply do not like that artistic direction, nor do they support Springsteen abusing his platform to preach to others.

I think some fans find the excessive adulation from an overly fawning entertainment press and faction of his blindly devoted fan-base hard to take at times, and as such, feel inclined to present another view of his contemporary work, to make it clear that not every note the man releases is praiseworthy. Reading different viewpoints is okay.

I disagree. The excitement of hearing Born To Run and the personal, emotional impact that the music made decades ago when I first experienced it are things I may never feel again from a new Springsteen recording, but I certainly experience those emotions from other music that I encounter to this very day.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  9. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Exactly. Which is totally fine.

I think that matters though. I think it's important that he is vocal about his progressive values, that he believes in civic duties. It might be a divisive issue among fans but I think it does far more good than harm for him to be truly conscious about that image.

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i am reluctant to take the 'im an invention, in reality an everyday jersey dude' serious after watching that promo.
    ymmv.

11. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking forward to seeing the show on Netflix. If other people don't want to watch it, so what. Big whup.

As far as all this other stuff goes...yes, he's spending a lot of time staring at his navel these days. If people want to spend big money to see him do it in person, it's their prerogative. Last I checked 'Bruce Springsteen' is still a for-profit business enterprise.

budwhite and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

Yeah, that is one of those roll-the-eyes statements, but some fans eat it up. There is a reason why it is in the promo.

budwhite and musicaner like this.
  13. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Really? I think it's an embarrassing way to end a career.

14. PacificOceanBlue

He is working on a dream. ;)

15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Exactly. I totally disagree with a lot of his political stances etc but I respect him all the more for being vocal about what he cares about.

16. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

Quite frankly your statement is embarrassing. Let me see. Producing a massively successful show that is critical lauded and loved by fans and critics. Embarrassing indeed. Lol. Oh and his career is far from over. My last statement on this as you have revealed your true motivations.

17. moonshiner

Amen

blair207, musicaner and Mfj55 like this.
  18. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

Thx for all of that. I bet you watch the show, lol. But could never admit to liking even some of it. Nuff said.

19. PacificOceanBlue

If I watch it and end up liking some of it (or all of it), I will gladly revise my thoughts on this thread. That said, I highly doubt I will tune-in to view it. I rarely watch concert performances on television, and I expect it will be no different with this Broadway project.

budwhite and musicaner like this.
  20. Efus

Efus Forum Resident

Its not the end of his career, so quit embarassing yourself.

He's spending time with his Mama before she entirely forgets him, or she passes.
    Surely an Italian fella can understand that.

Probably the reason he's not going out in 2019.

blair207, enro99 and Mfj55 like this.
  21. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

he was going out in 2019 until Little Steve complained.
    If he doesnt put out the storied 'songwriter' album in 2019 I think its safe to say he is a nostalgia act.

22. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

As posted on his Facebook page:

Just a note to quell some of the rumors over here on E Street. While we hope to be back with you soon, the E Street Band won’t be touring in 2019. Before I go back to my day job, the year will be consumed with a break after our Broadway run and various recording projects I’ve been working on. We do hope to see you soon, and until then, we have some mighty E Streeters out there regularly performing with their own projects who’d love and deserve your support. All love and Happy Holidays!

- Bruce Springsteen

Stone Turntable likes this.
  23. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

Nonsense. Where do you come up with this stuff?

24. moonshiner

I can understand that, but I rest my case.

25. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

well said. i can deal with my mother preaching to me but thats about it.

moonshiner likes this.