Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

the interview he gave a few days ago to the Sunday Times. How he was going back to his 'day job' and doing some gigs with the E Street in the UK in 2019 etc. Album to be released shortly.
    Very next day Little Steven complained and today we have the new statement containing pertinent remarks about the 'individual' EStreeters and their activities.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

SRV did not complain. he stated that he knew nothing of any planned E St. Band touring in 2019. when Bruce stated he would be getting back to his day job, he mean't performing-just not necessarily with the band. next record will be "singer-songwriter" (solo) material and he will go out solo spring of '19. BITUSA box late '19 with band tour-probably-in early 2020

3. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

musicaner likes this.
  4. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

I thought it was pretty common knowledge, and even mentioned in this thread, that the journalist who interviewed Bruce misrepresented what Bruce said in the interview to spice it up. Steve, his wife Maureen, and Nils all tried to set the record straight but it got out of hand resulting in Bruce going on record with his statement on Facebook. I am a bit amused at the thought of Little Steven, or any member of the E Street Band for that matter, telling Bruce, "No, you can't tour!" Well, maybe Patti could get away with it.

5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

After his book and that recent Esquire article, I'm pretty much done learning about what makes Bruce tick and how he's found happiness/stability. Let's get the focus back onto the (hopefully compelling) music.

featheredfiend and brettster808 like this.
  6. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

he said that as of today there was NO E Street tour. Even in the new statement, 'day job' refers to the E Street.
    Tours, as the implication is that they cant provide backing for his solo stuff. Nowhere in the new statement is there
    any touring implied. In fact it seems to take back any new album for 2019. I assume that the recording he refers to is dubbing stuff to the Born in the USA stuff.

If he releases the BITUSA box before the new album then he is affirming he is a nostalgia act. The Broadway thing is pure nostalgia.

7. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

How can someone misrepresent touring? I mean there is tour or not a tour.

I suggest maybe the E Street was not happy with the Broadway cash bonanza, and since they
    are now rich, they can unite against Bruce, KNOWING he cant tour without them anymore.

8. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

My lord, your Bruce hatred is honed to the max. It’s ok he doesn’t need ya. Brilliant career , one of the all time greats. Can you say the same in your field. Lol.

mikeja75 and Efus like this.
  9. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Dedicated Listener

I keep wondering how many people here experienced some of the most profound and joyous communal musical experiences in their lives at Springsteen shows — a sea of rapturous faces — and yet let themselves come to this: griping, second-guessing, cutting it all down to size, disenchanted.

mikeja75 and Efus like this.
  10. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

I explained it in a way I thought would be simple enough for you to understand but you won't accept it. Debating this any further is foolish.

mikeja75 likes this.
  11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

That is actually interesting. He wanted to tour with Steve Jordan and a few others in 2005 but decided to go solo instead.
    At this stage of his carrer, I'm not sure that he "can" tour with another band without a major backlash from many fans, not as long as the remaining ESB members are alive and willing.

12. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

He cant and he knows it, and they know it.
    If he tours solo he can do 2500 seaters with or without Steve Jordan. Thats why no Steve Jordan.
    He cannot tour arenas or stadiums without the legitimate E Street.

13. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

if he needs me hes got to come with a cash offer. i dont do free.

14. Efus

Efus Forum Resident

Its amazing aint it?

The obsession and general stupidity in some of these comments, I loved the cabron who diagnosed him with messiah complex after he insinuated that Bruce made up his autobiography.

Thats not candid discussion, its ignorance being branded as legitimate opinion, and no breath of fresh air in my book.

Mfj55, mikeja75 and brettster808 like this.
  15. Murph

Murph Somewhere...under heaven

Plus 1. I saw the show last night. It was funny, touching and sad. Typical Bruce. And I’m not the worlds biggest fan ( my wife loves him)
    Hey I was even able to handle his “lecture “! ;)

16. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Each and every member of the band should be thanking their lucky stars, on a consistent basis, that they were able to attach their future to Mr. Springsteen.

He can't tour without them? From a monetary standpoint, he never has to play another show in his lifetime -- he's wealthy beyond anyone's standard of "comfortable". If anyone needs another E Street tour, it's the band -- not the bandleader.

Bruce holds all the cards and always has.

kw21925, Murph, Mfj55 and 1 other person like this.
  17. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to the soundtrack album and the netflix show. I did gripe about the ticket prices and was never able to or willing to fork over huge sums to see him on Broadway. I really am amazed how long it has been since he put out an album of new material.. I don't count High Hopes.. I am somewhat optimistic (I shouldn't be!) that he puts out that long talked about solo record in 2019. Wouldn't it be great if he put out a no frills solo record without pretense.. like Ghost of Tom Joad and he just let strong songs and lyrics do the talking?

18. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

I dont think I insinuated that he made up his autobiography. I never read it.

moonshiner likes this.
  19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I liked Bruce's book OK but honestly don't remember much from it.

The Peter Ames Carlin book was much more comprehensive and illuminating.

20. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

This is true, he is probably a billionaire or close to it. However he cant do an arena tour with all the attendant
    propaganda without them. He learned this back in 1992/93. Its Bruce that would want to tour, not the the bass player or the drummer.

budwhite likes this.
  21. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Amen to that!!! I love Bruce, but enough of the Broadway show and everything else - let's hear some new music!!!

22. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

Any band he chooses to call the E Street Band is just that. He has toured without Steve before (even recently). He has also played dates without Max Weinberg, and naturally also without Clarence Clemons and Danny Federici. And in reality all of the current band would drop what they are doing for one more tour. You are just a troll I am afraid.

Mfj55 and brettster808 like this.
  23. INSW

INSW Forum Resident

He seems perfectly fine touring arenas and theaters alone or with the Seeger shows, but if he plays a rock show in those venues with a small band of non-ESB musicians, he and his fans won't be happy? I don't agree with that.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

In this day and age, brands are bigger than the individual musicians, that is why The Eagles without Glenn Frey and Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey Buckingham (and Christine McVie before him) can sell out arenas. Without question, Springsteen can fill arenas without the E Streeters. Even when his audience was largely pissed that he fired the E Street Band, he still played arenas circa 1992/1993.

DavidD likes this.
  25. Murph

Murph Somewhere...under heaven

At the show last night he speaks of Clarence, Danny and that’s it. Absolutely no mention of the ESB- In name anyway. Nor was there any mention of any of the current members.