Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. detroit muscle

detroit muscle Senior Member

I prefer to judge someone on the content of his character than the price of his apparel. He also wears Louis Vuitton boots. He has sold millions of albums and sold out arenas and stadiums for decades so is very wealthy. If he wore shirts from JC Penney you would call hypocrite.

Binni, levi, OptimisticGoat and 2 others like this.
  2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

In one of the Dylan books I think Jakob was quoted as saying that he had good parents and a good childhood or something to that effect.

I wonder if we're ever going to see a Daddy Dearest book about Springsteen from one of his band members or former crew/mgmt. His organization keeps a very tight lid on things, but still..

3. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Purpose, yes. And narrative. He was the hero of a specific story : the jersey guy rising to success, but having to make peace with where he was coming from before achieving massive commercial triumphs. He had to take his time, because he represented a certain part of his own audience, the audience he'd once been a member of. And as soon as he accepted mainstream success (releasing BITUSA), this narrative came to an abrupt end. He couldn't be the character in this story anymore, he didn't know how the story went from then on. Like a TV series after a few seasons, when the writers don't know where to go anymore.
    So yes, he lost purpose. Had writer's block. Could not really reconcile himself with his "rock voice" for a very long time. But he still did manage to release quite a few good to great records, anyway, which is a remarkable achievement in itself. Better Days, Fall Behind, Street of Philadelphia, Lift Me Up, most of Tom Joad and Magic (Girls in their Summer Clothes !), half of The Rising (You're Missing !) are still extraordinary. But in essence, it could be argued his story was already complete when he released all this stuff.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  4. detroit muscle

detroit muscle Senior Member

I'm surprised Doug Sutphin or Mike Batlan never wrote a book.

5. Dr. Zoom

me too. But I think part of their settlement was to keep shtun...forever. Those guys were supposedly running a major tape leaking business on the side, among other things. There's probably a fairly interesting story there we'll never know.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  6. windfall

windfall Forum Resident

Equal to his very best consistency? I don’t hear it. I have followed him through the years but would never place any of his albums from the 80s on alongside his early 70s heyday.

7. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I'm sticking with the first two.

limoges likes this.
  8. windfall

windfall Forum Resident

I find great individual songs across his solo career but I don’t hear any album as good as making movies, love over gold, etc. But as with my reply to the James Taylor suggestion, it’s different strokes, I guess.

I always wanted Petty to be delivering the goods, over the years, and, again, there were always sparks amongst the embers, but never an album to stand alongside his greatest work. For me, the same has gone for all my heroes.. Dylan, Neil Young, Bruce... it seems to be the way it goes in this art form. There have been threads about it on this forum over the years.

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Not while Bruce( or Landau) is alive, or at least not while he's an active performer. Still, stories get out one way or another and maybe the fact that not many have gotten out proves there's really not much in the way of "dark tales" to tell.

10. Dr. Zoom

I suspect you may be right. Here, locally in central NJ, you -almost- never hear dark tales. After the band got fired in 89, I guess that would have been the time. Seems he's generally a decent guy who treats people well.

budwhite likes this.
  11. joepepitone

joepepitone ....by the Lord Sri Krsna's grace

Bruce is in my top five. I only wish my other top fives could have kept up Bruce's momentum - studio work and live performance.
    I just returned from a weekend away and haven't read the whole thread (yet), but how about Devils and Dust, Seeger's Session, Working on a Dream (sans Outlaw Pete) and Wrecking Ball, all good stuff IMHO.

enro99 likes this.
  12. Dr. Zoom

Joe Pepitone is one of my top 5 baseball players ;)

joepepitone and NYMets41 like this.
  13. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Mine is Bill Buckner.

joepepitone likes this.
  14. Dr. Zoom

I bet

joepepitone likes this.
  15. drad dog

drad dog Forum Resident

He's in my bottom 5. We must have something in common.

joepepitone likes this.
  16. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm sure there are some great tracks on the albums you mention but given I find the "classic" years inconsistent, I've been a bit reticent about taking the plunge.

17. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Doesn't bother me that he spends his money on whatever but don't tell me all the band members have the same taste in clothing for the past 15-20years. You can wear anything as long as it's BLACK. Seriously, a dress code and he calls it Rock an Roll, not to me.

18. Dr. Zoom

19. Springsteen has had many many lives. His initial appearance as a 70s Van Morrison inspired post hippie troubadour that my brothers were hip to, who built an intense following with his band and as a solo act in the Northeast US. Then his break out with BTR that brought along his beginning audience, but also got him labelled as a jock band ( safe wholesome rocking but with a dark edge and musicality but the guitars weren't too loud). He built on that popularity plateau with a further darkening of his vision and upping the intensity as the US entered a time of massive inflation and spiraling unemployment. Darkness, The River, and Nebraska solidified his messianic standing with his followers but also showed a deepening of his musical roots and awareness: rockabilly, gospel, Suicide, Clash, etc., The shows were intense almost religious affairs with hemis, 454s, and 427s dragging outside. Born in the USA launched him to another plateau, whilst great to see him get the popularity, also felt like a leaving, not to return till either '95 Tom Joad or the '99 E Street reunion.

enro99, budwhite and Dr. Zoom like this.
  20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

yes we supposedly have the Lost Masters from at least one of them.

21. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Absurd and old ignorant opinion.

If you think only failed local bar bands who didn’t make it out of their hometown are the only ones who can be blue collar great go to the bar and see them.

Coltrane811 likes this.
  22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Who actually was a pretty good hitter and one of those rare "four decade" players.....
    But not much of a fielder late in his career....which is why he's your favorite.

NYMets41 likes this.
  23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It is kind of odd that Springsteen can pull off being called both the "voice of the working man" and "The Boss" simultaneously....

Sean Murdock likes this.
  24. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

I love Springsteen music for 40+ years. That said, I prefer Tom Petty over Springsteen - mostly because I feel Petty was a far better singer and had much more versatility than Springsteen. Petty sang equally well with Rock, Blues, Country, Folk, Rockabilly, and even Lullabies. He was an exceptional songwriter - capable of writing rock anthems, as well as songs with gentle beautiful lyrics and had a tremendously great band that he held together for many decades. There wasn't a lapse in his music for over 4 decades....and I liked his humble, down-to-earth nature.
    Springsteen is a great rock and roller who puts on a phenomenal live show - but doesn't really sing other types of music....just a loud screamer who's always looked like he was ready to bust a vein in his head or neck. His rock songs are terrific and a fabulous songwriter too - but I prefer Petty by a country mile.

laf848, JoeF., enro99 and 5 others like this.
  25. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

I agree with the commonly accepted wisdom -- Springsteen could do no wrong through 1987. Since then, he has done almost nothing right.

My own theory is that once he self-admittedly made some peace with his father after his own kids were born, the fire that drove him went out. Now, he's what the Beach Boys and Grateful Dead were in their latter years -- a nostalgia act.

JoeF. likes this.