Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

what are you talking about? the current band would drop whatever they were doing? thats not how I read their reaction to his 2019 tour announcement. SPRINGSTEEN said he was doing a 2019 tour not I. LOL
    he toured without Little Steven back in 1988 almost 30 years ago.

if the E Street is whoever then DO IT. get some people from somewhere and announce them as E Street.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    moonshiner likes this.
  2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I saw the Seeger Sessions show in an outdoor venue near Chicago. I had an extra ticket which I couldn’t give away. The venue was at least 1/3 empty in the seating area, so I would guess at least half the lawn seats were unsold.
    A few years later, he sold out Wrigley for 2 nights at much higher ticket prices.
    He’s not the same draw without the E Street Band.
    And no, I don’t think he couldn’t get other musicians, call them the E Street Band and sell the same way.
    I’d love for his popularity to drop off and allow for smaller theater shows. I’ve got maybe one more stadium show in me.

3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The fact that he never tried big venues again without the E Street Band was telling, though.

It would be an interesting experiment to try in this era, that's for sure. Not sure the Eagles/Fleetwood analogy holds up in this case.

budwhite likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

Well, yeah. The guy hasn't just stumbled into a successful career across 40+ years! :)

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

I think how one is vocal matters. Ted Nugent is vocal about his stances but he expresses himself in a way that makes him a clownish embarrassment.

Bruce took decades before he engaged in active politics, and he's been pretty classy about it. No threats to make Trump suck on a machine gun, as far as I know! :D

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Seeger tour couldnt get booked thats why he dropped it. didnt sell.

7. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

He doesn't want to tour next year.

He toured without Steve when he was filming Lilyhammer a few years ago.

8. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

Morello joined the band on a recent tour to play instead of Little Steven who was busy with something else.

Not that it matters anyhow. I can't understand why on every forum any Springsteen discussion ends up in quarreling. Don't know why.

J

9. Oatsdad

I don't think even Patti could keep Bruce from touring. I get the feeling Bruce does what Bruce wants to do and is probably very headstrong.

I agree that the notion Bruce wanted to tour but Steven put the kibosh on it is laughable. I'm also pretty sure Bruce has taken E Street out without Steven - in recent years, to boot - so even if Steven said no, that wouldn't stop a tour. (Yeah, Steven missed shows due to scheduling, not unwillingness, but still!)

I saw Steven's comments on Twitter and I don't think he ever indicated an unwillingness to tour - he just said there was no tour planned.

Nils said the same thing, though reading between the lines, he seemed more hopeful. There was a "we have no tour planned - but I hope we tour!" vibe there! :)

brettster808 likes this.
  10. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

That's a great point to make - you are totally right. I'm admittedly right-leaning and Ted annoys me to no end (as much as I love his music). Bruce's left-leaning stances don't bother me at all.

And it's because he's been pretty classy, like you say.

11. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

he was ready to tour last Saturday. Soon as Steve was ready he was back. His wife also
    took days off, drummer too.

Clearing this matter would be simple; do an E Street tour with all new band members.
    That would show not only me and other 'trolls' but all others who dont go along with
    the game plan.

12. Oatsdad

Agree. Someone said earlier that the E Streeters don't need the money, and that might be true.

"Not needing money" and "not wanting money" are two totally different things, though. I doubt Nils or Steven solo pull in 1/5th of what they make for E Street tours.

Eventually another E Streeter will drop out, whether due to death, illness or unwillingness. I think death and illness are way more likely to be the cause of a departure than unwillingness, though...

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

because this Springsteen thing is like a religion. Bruce is like a new secular Apollo.
    Yeah the drummers son did some gigs too. Wife would skip gigs.
    Get Steve Jordan and a bunch of similar dudes and call them E Street and get back to me .

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

You obviously are unable to read statements. At no point did he say he was going to tour, this was an error on the part of the Sunday Times' journalist which was then communicated elsewhere.

15. Oatsdad

I think it's an interesting notion to ponder who "has to" be onstage for it to still be "E Street".

Right now the band is down to one original member: Garry. Steven, Roy and Max have been there long enough that they're "almost original", I guess.

Patti and Nils have been there 30+ years.

Are Jake, Soozie and Charlie considered "official E Streeters"? I figured they were, but Wiki only credits them as "touring members"...

16. Oatsdad

Bruce hasn't tried to tour with a non-E Street rock band, so I'm not sure how telling the fact he's only played big venues with E Street is.

Face it: a solo show isn't gonna move 20,000 tickets per concert, and some weirdo folk-ish show won't either.

So there's no point of comparison. No, Bruce hasn't played arenas or stadiums sans E Street since the 1992-93 tour ended, but he's also not toured with a different rock band since then...

17. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Fake news?
    (lets throw the journalist under the bus)
    why would the journalist care either which way LOL?

18. Oatsdad

What does "couldn't get booked" mean? The tour did get "booked", obviously, or else we'd have no tour to discuss.

Bruce didn't play arenas on that tour, but he didn't play small venues, either. The local show was at a venue that holds 20,000 plus including the lawn...

19. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

You may be right. Or maybe not.
    We can keep it civil, in any case.

J

20. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

it means it pretty much bombed as a tour. it got booked until it quit selling.

21. Oatsdad

I'm sure there are left-leaning artists who are really obnoxious about their opinions, but I can't think of any right now. I'm sure someone will remind me! :D

Eddie Vedder walks the line. I think "BushLeaguer" went over more poorly than the band expected back in 2003 and Eddie's tried to be a little less overt about such cartoony political comments, but he's still less measured than Bruce is.

Of course, you can't throw a rock out the window without hitting someone who spouts intense anti-Trump rhetoric - though that's more the state of the US in 2018 than any one person. Everything's way more extreme than it was even 15 years ago! :sigh:

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Roger Waters *cough cough* ;)

streetlegal likes this.
  23. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

Because he is a journalist?

24. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Dylan refuses to talk politics.

25. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

"Journalists" really care about whether Bruce Springsteen tours in 2019 instead of 2020