Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

This implies that Bruce planned more shows but bailed because of poor sales. I looked online and found no evidence of that.

I looked at tour schedule to see if there were days off around markets that support Bruce the best - DC, Philly, Boston, NYC - as that would gauge the possibility they hoped to do more shows in those areas.

Nope - no room for added shows. Bruce did 18 shows over a month, which is as much as one could expect him to do.

I also read that the tour did underperform in the US but it did really well in Europe.

No indications the tour was supposed to run longer than it did but got the axe due to sales...

2. musicaner

musicaner Well-Known Member

LOL ok.
    Bruce and Jon are known to love taking losses.

All this was due to be cleared up with the new album release in 2019.

3. Oatsdad

Yeah, that's true! Though even Waters isn't as bad as Nugent, I don't think.

I mean, no one uses imagery as aggressive and violent as Nugent. I know there are a lot of country artists on the right side of the political dial, but I don't think they spout rhetoric as inflammatory as Nugent does.

Honestly, I think Nugent plays up the intensity (in 10 cities) of his rhetoric because it's really the only reason he's famous. His career sputtered decades ago but as long as he throws out extreme political "commentary", he stays in the news!

At least Waters has a career beyond political comments!

warewolf95 likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Dylan refuses to talk period - and when he does, you can't understand what he says anyway! :D

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. musicaner

hes done several interviews as of late. they all read pretty straightforward.
    no talk of mean daddy true.

6. Oatsdad

Nice straw man there, chief! :rolleyes:

7. musicaner

No straw man.:D Bruce and Jon are yet to cut tours short because they are selling out.

Just show me the beef(new album)

8. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

The Seeger Sessions tour was the one Springsteen tour I've missed since he returned to the stage without The E Street Band back in '92. It's not because I didn't want to attend (I gladly would have) but the tour did not return to the States following the European jaunt. I fully expected Atlanta (a major US city that has been played every tour since the early days) to be on the itinerary but it never happened. In retrospect, I wish I had flown somewhere to attend that tour. It was the only tour since '92 in which he hit the road with a group of musicians other than E Street. C'est la vie.

That's an interesting philosophical question! At what point is The E Street Band no longer The E Street Band? The band that toured the Greetings album was different from the band that toured the Wild & Innocent album and those bands were different from the one that toured the Born to Run, Darkness and River albums. And even that band was different from the one that toured the Born in the USA and Tunnel of Love albums. Still, I agree that it's not The E Street Band without at least some of the guys from the classic line-up.

I guess one advantage of living in the southeast US is that the likelihood of a stadium show is practically non-existent and tickets for arena shows are not hard to get. Reducing the size of the venue would likely flip that dynamic.

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Forum Resident

I think if Springsteen replaced nearly all of the E Street Band members with new guys (and that has already partially happened) and still promoted his show as "Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band," he would not take much of a hit. Some hardcore fans would care, but would the general public and casual fan care? I suspect they would readily buy tickets regardless. After Lindsey Buckingham left Fleetwood Mac in 1987, the band found itself largely irrelevant and playing small theaters within a couple of years. The public cared more about this sort of thing back then, and Springsteen felt more of the blowback in 92/93 when he went out without the E Streeters (yet he still filled arenas). I am not sure if anyone really cares anymore. They just want the entertainment, a fun night out to hear the music, to buy a t-shirt, and have a few drinks.

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The E Street Band as a known band didn't really take off until the Born to Run tour. The core band is still there, Bittan, Weinberg, Tallent and Van Zandt. If one of them drops dead, I believe that Springsteen will end the ESB.
    It was bad enough when he replaced Weinberg with Junior for a short while, I saw two of those shows and they were some of the less memorable shows I've seen with the band.

About touring with another rock band... it's true, he hasn't done that since '93 so we might never know how it will be. My point before was if he does that while the ESB is active, I don't think it will go over very well. Sure he would sell tickets, but not as much as he thinks imho.

I would love to see him with just another guitar, bass and drums. And maybe a dude on electric piano or whatever.
    Don't think the casual fans will love it in this day and age though , Springsteen aint one to change it up that way. Besides the solo shows, he's only played with two other bands for the last 50 years.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

He would never do that as a permanent thing.

But would the casual public care or notice? Not likely. Not much anyway

12. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Compared to E-Street tours, sure. I think drawing 5,000-10,000 for a show of folk songs played by a band like that is pretty damn impressive. The tour sold out in most of Europe, and got excellent critical (and fan) reviews from those who did attend.

I think the problem was how to market it: it was Springsteen, so they couldn't book it in theaters without fans screaming about ticket availability (and, presumably, prices), but not a "Springsteen show" and all that entails, which means it was never gonna sell 15-20K like E-Street. In 2006 there just weren't enough venues to adequately support this sort of in-between-size crowd (I've noticed a lot more opening in the past decade, FWIW). Plus, it was a tour behind an odd, uncommercial covers album...I think perhaps if Bruce had done a few small European shows with that material (and a few originals thrown in), put it out as a TV special/PBS thing, then toured, and fans had an idea of how fun the shows might've been, rather than finding out after the fact.

I never listen to the album, but I liked the Live In Dublin release quite a bit....it's a much better representation of what Bruce was trying to do than the studio release, IMO. I don't see it as a failure at all, he got thousands of people out to listen to an 18-piece big band play folk songs in the 21st century. It was never going to be comparable to an E-Street tour.

graveyardboots and brettster808 like this.
  13. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Dylan is in another league

14. musicaner

Yes all true, the live Dvd is fun enough ( I like his Woody Guthrie like get up), but the tour bombed, and Bruce and Jon are all about the money they are not going to take losses to build up a tour.

Bruce can tour with an all new E Street band only if Tallent, Weinberg, Steve etc are dead or incapacitated. Otherwise hed have hell to pay.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 5:00 PM
  15. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

The Seeger Sessions shows in the U.K. we're in arenas and pretty much sold out. I don't think they would have sold out stadiums though.

16. jlocke08

jlocke08 Well-Known Member

as has been proven over the last year, he doesn't need any band to sell out nightly. 2500 seaters are fine for solo shows. saying the band would unite against him because he can't tour without them-even in a arena sized venue is ludicrous. every member of that band is rich enough and talented enough that their careers can go on if Bruce were to decide not to tour again. Also, IMO, a nostalgia acts do not have the
    you continue to say the tour bombed. this is totally off base. the tour was booked-by people smarter and more informed than you or I-into cities and venues Bruce Inc. knew to be good fits for this type of show/music. it was known that this type of show would not be to the liking in a large number of markets. plenty of planning and research went into the choices of shows in US and Europe. too much to lose by starting a major tour only to realize you can't sell tickets and quitting.

17. boe

boe Forum Resident

One difference between Eagles / FM and Bruce is that the Eagles / FM popularity is largely based on their songs. Neither group was reknowned for putting on over-the-top killer live shows. People bought / buy tickets to hear their favorite songs performed faithfully. A nice evening out. Bruce built his popularity on live performance with the E Street Band. You bought the records but they (for the most part) didn't come close to the power of the live performances (see: 1978 radio broadcasts). Yes, Clarence and Danny are gone. And their replacements, while adequate, aren't nearly as good / distinctive. I think if Bruce toured without Garry, Max, and Roy the difference would be noticeable and not in a good way. It would be the early 90s all over again.

budwhite, jlocke08 and twicks like this.
  18. musicaner

He can sell out an 800 seat venue in the tri state from here to eternity, no doubt about that. Same people over and over again.
    LOL Jon knew which markets would go for Seeger band. Someone already posted the venue at one of these Seeger friendly venues was half full at best.
    The Seeger tour was short for a variety of reasons-lack of demand not being one of them- but somehow the GH tours with the E Street..they get extended. Coincidence.

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Forum Resident

I don’t know why you are bringing me into this, I never took a position that solo Springsteen or a Seeger show could fill arenas. That said, a full rock band Springsteen show is an arena act, with or without the E Street Band.

20. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

Spot the troll. Half baked theories + half baked English = headache

brettster808 likes this.
  21. Dr. Zoom

I tend to agree. Clarence was easily the most iconic band member and he died, what, 8 years ago? Didn’t affect ticket sales for subsequent tours one iota. I suspect relatively few people care who is in the “E Street Band” anymore. It’s been a nostalgia show for some time now (and a very good one at that). As long as Bruce Springsteen is up there doing his thing, people will come regardless who is playing behind him.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 8:32 PM
    budwhite and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

What I find curious, puzzling even, is that Bruce is sort of a populist. Or certainly close to it in some of his professed beliefs. The Pres certainly is too. And if one counters that the Pres is a millionaire, etc... well so is Bruce. In some respects, Bruce is intensely critical and disparaging of an elected leader who is, at least in some issues and in some ways, on the same wavelength. I don't get it.

enro99 and warewolf95 like this.
  23. jlocke08

jlocke08 Well-Known Member

Dr. Zoom-Could not agree less about the players-if he called it an E Street Band tour. especially now. second gen players would get a fan pass and Charlie G was familiar to fans from Seeger music/DVD. but without Roy, Gary, Nils, and Max to call it an E Street show would cause major loss of fans and ticket sales IMO

boe likes this.
  24. Dr. Zoom

You might be right.
    But I don’t think so.
    I can’t imagine many ticket buyers saying “Garry’s not on bass anymore? Well, then, I’m not going”.

25. Efus

Efus Forum Resident

Because Bruce puts his money, time, and effort into helping others, when he comes to town.
    He practices what he's preachin', and some people vilify him for that.
    He's been doing it for years since the mid 70s.

I'll let others talk about the President's generosity when it comes to giving the same to causes he supports, and how long he's been doing it.

Aardvark23 likes this.