Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

I did a quick look and that seems to be true for 1995 but not 1994.

Theory: FMac toured decent-sized venues in 1994, sold less well than they'd like and picked up PB and REO as openers for 1995 so they could still play fairly big places.

Dunno if that's right, but it makes sense to me! :)

2. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I bet their solo projects barely break even on the road, playing small clubs while hauling around oversized bands and crew.

I'm a medium-intensity Bruce fan. Saw them once on the first E Street reunion tour and haven't been back since.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 10:01 AM
  3. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

There is a thread about artists who should have had massive success.
    Two words:
    Nils Lofgren

4. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good point. It's funny, he's almost come full circle from the 1970's. Aside from the NYC Metro/Northeast corridor, West Coast, and maybe some pockets of the Midwest, I'm not sure he can fill indoor arenas consistently anymore. That's not a knock on him, the game has changed for all the classic 1970s acts.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  5. INSW

INSW Forum Resident

For about five years he nearly filled arenas with band members.

6. Dr. Zoom

Memory is a bit foggy, but at one point I think I counted 14 guitar players onstage.

babyblue and majorlance like this.
  7. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

You can't leave Europe out of the equation. He's certainly hasn't worn out his welcome there.

8. majorlance

majorlance Open-minded skeptic

:laughup:

9. Murph

Murph Somewhere...under heaven

Ok. Can I get a do over ? I didn’t mean to imply that every, single individual leaves a Springsteen show converted. Some are not. But some are. I hear from them and they are mostly younger folks (25-30).

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Forum Resident

His music does not exactly require a guitar assault. It is probably better than having a chorus of children singing "Waiting On A Sunny Day."

11. Dr. Zoom

Oh absolutely. I was just referring to the US. On balance he's probably a more potent ticket draw in Europe now.

12. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Well-Known Member

Could it be a case of over saturation in the 2000's? He did tour quite a lot since the early 2000's.

905 likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

There definitely was some over-saturation by 2009. I remember that the 2 MSG shows that fall took a day to sell out - the venue where he sold out 10 shows virtually instantly 10 years earlier!

Bruce was out there in some capacity every year from 1999-2009 except for 2001:

1999-2000: Reunion Tour
    2002-03: Rising Tour
    2004: Vote for Change Tour
    2005: D&D Tour
    2006: Seeger Tour
    2007-08: Magic Tour
    2009: WOAD Tour

That's a LOT of touring!

GMfan87' and budwhite like this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

In all seriousness, I look at that list and think, "yuck." There are clearly a lot of fans that thoroughly enjoyed those tours and period of work which is great, but that list largely consists of ten years of Springsteen's body work that I can live without. It is interesting because leading up to Tracks and prior to the reunion tour, I never would have imagined that there would be a day when I found Springsteen's work so dull.

15. Oatsdad

Whatever one thought of the albums in questions, the shows tended to be very good...

GMfan87' and majorlance like this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

I know a lot of fans enjoyed concerts from that period, but I found the band shows to be plodding affairs. I saw a couple during the 1999/2000 run and later in 2003. I thought they were ordinary. I remember not being able to tolerate the preacher schtick during Tenth Avenue, and heading out into the venue concourse to make phone calls. I have acquired a few Nugs releases of the post-1999 period, and will not be doing that again. From here on out, it is pre-1999 concerts (with the exception of the 2005 tour).

17. GMfan87'

You are spot on, OatsDad. My first show was reunion, then i saw a bunch on Rising tour, couple on D & D, one Seeger, one Magic and one in 13' WBall tour , last one was River show in 16'. What about you guys ? So i lessened my shows considerably. I grew up liking him and waited years to catch him in 2000, so then I guess i was making up for lost time. Then the thrill lessens after many shows. There was also last 3 albums i simply did not care for.

Oatsdad likes this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

I never caught the legendary 1978 tour in person, the dynamic 1980/1981 shows, or the big E Street tours in '84 or '88. I had to wait until the 1999 reunion tour as well. The first show I caught was the opening night gig at Staples Center. I was very much looking forward to seeing the show, but half way through I remember thinking how overrated the concert was. It did not live up to my expectations, especially having heard recordings from his 1970's and 1980's shows, along with the rhetoric that nothing could top a Springsteen show.

19. GMfan87'

While i can't agree with "ordinary" as who brings it like he does live ?! I agree the preacher schtick can get old after few times ( I've felt that way skipping over it on the Live NYC dvd) I've also found myself bored at times during BTR, BLands because when you see more than a couple shows per tour it isn't as fresh. To be fair to him it was decades after those vaunted shows that he came back with the band so he was considerably older. That being said i don't think he lost too much in energy or anything really. I have seen, heard plenty of old bootleg shows.

20. PacificOceanBlue

Well, that is the thing, others do "bring it" live just as good or better. Without question, Springsteen is one of the greats and a legendary live performer, but I think too many fans automatically accept the "no one brings it" like Springsteen rhetoric. I have seen many great shows, and frankly none of the Springsteen concerts I attended make the list. If only I had captured a 1975, 1978, or 1980 concert....

graveyardboots and budwhite like this.
  21. GMfan87'

I've seen a lot of concerts and have enjoyed most of them but no one has performed with as much energy, pure joy or as many hours as he has. But i'm open who have you seen that you think was just as good if not better? Before my time Elvis, Freddie Mercury, Bob Seger and some of the old r&r acts, soul ones I'm sure but in Bruce's time ?

22. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Roxy 75 download up on Nugs now.

23. Dr. Zoom

Roxy sounds great

Mfj55 likes this.
  24. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

I think the '94 shows were opening for Crosby Stills & Nash. The '95 shows were the Benetar/REO package, but I think REO was the headliner.

25. Mfj55

Mfj55 Forum Resident

My god. Give it up already. We get it, Bruce post 1981 sickens you. I will grant you the hipster cred that you so obviously need. Springsteen shows my the vast majority continue to be outstanding. There is a reason for the sellouts. I know that Bruce is fretting that you no longer like his music and he may call it quits. Give me a break.