Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. INSW

INSW Forum Resident

So much for the candid discussion.

2. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

How did you know it was "overrated" halfway through the show?

walrus likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

Ah - you're right about 1994! I just searched "Fleetwood Mac" and "1994" on setlist.fm - they showed the dates/venues but didn't indicate that FM was the opener!

They appear to have been the headliner at the 1995 shows, though. Found a review that indicates the pecking order was FM/Pat/REO.

Orleans was a 4th act on the bill and they played first:

NOSTALGIA CONCERT WASN'T THAT BAD, NOR WAS IT GOOD

4. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Hey I saw Bruce in '78 and in '80 - both in Phoenix. Both were stupendous shows.

I also saw the '99 show when it hit Denver. We walked out 3/4 of the way through. PacifiOceanBlue is dead on.

budwhite and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  5. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

I saw him 81, 85, 88 and 92. Saw 3 shows on the reunion tour, were they as good? No (but better than 92). Were they great? Yes.

6. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

I saw '78, '80/'81, and both the indoor and outdoor legs of '84. The '78 show I saw was all that, just tremendous. I thought The River show suffered from poor pacing and was over-long, but wasn't bad. The indoor '84 shows I saw were astounding as was the whole atmosphere surrounding his popular explosion at the time, but then the stadium scale show was a bore and the drama had been replace with a lot of vamping, it was the first Springsteen show I saw that really missed the mark, and, actually, the only one. Didn't see Springsteen again until 99 and following. Every show I've seen him do since has been at least very good, and some of them -- like the show they recorded for Live in NYC and one of those Giants Stadium shows for which he wrote Wrecking Ball -- were pretty darn great. I will say, these were all NY or NJ shows, so I don't know if a home-town kind of audience plays any role in what kinds of performance take place. I did see one show outside the NY metro area, up in Albany on the Wrecking Ball tour, and I thought it was excellent, although like most 60+ singers, Springsteen's voice ain't what it used to be. I tend to avoid going to concerts in venues bigger than 3,000 seats. but for Springsteen I'll usually still make an exception -- in fact I went out of my way to see the Wrecking Ball tour because I liked the album and its spirit so much. In my experience he's a rare performer who can make a giant venue seem small, and I gotta say, even the show I saw closing Giants Stadium, he managed to put it over in a football stadium! I've never seen anyone else do that (including seeing Springsteen really fail to do that in '84).

7. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

All were kind of at a nadir at that point. The venues were big, but that doesn't mean any of them were remotely full. I commented in another thread about the sizes of recent venues, particularly outdoor ones, being around 5-10,000, rather than the 15,000+ of sheds built in the 70's/80's. I doubt any of those shows sold more than a few thousand tickets, with probably lots of freebies given away via classic rock radio stations and such to fill up the pavilions and make some beer & parking money.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  8. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Comparing any artist in their 50's to shows they did in their 20's is never going to be fair. I mean, Robin Zander still sounds amazing for his age, but is a Cheap Trick show in 2018 going to be like Budokan? Of course not. But that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable and worth seeing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oatsdad likes this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Forum Resident

Give what up, open discussion? Apparently if one does not fawn all over Springsteen through 2018, he or she should cease to take part in this thread, and be subjected jabs.

stanlove, JoeF., moonshiner and 2 others like this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

11. Oatsdad

I've seen a lot of NYC/NJ Bruce shows and have found them to be semi-erratic.

He's better in Philly. He ALWAYS brings it for Philly!

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  12. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

He certainly did in 2016.

13. Oatsdad

Interesting that of FM, Benatar and REO, only FM ever enjoyed a comeback. They still play big venues while the other two are stuck in much smaller places.

It's actually kind of shocking how semi-forgotten REO became given how frickin' huge they were for half a decade or so. "Infidelity" was just a monster - one of exceedingly few albums that sold 10 million plus in the US.

But they're essentially relegated to the rock 'n' roll dustbin now. Benatar's entire album discography barely adds up to the sales of "Infidelity" but she remains better known...

14. Oatsdad

Exactly. I never saw Bruce prior to 1985, and even that show was in a stadium from the crap seats, so I barely count it.

My first substantial Bruce experience was 1988, as I saw 3 "TOL Express" shows plus the Philly Amnesty show. Enjoyed all.

Really liked the 3 1992 shows I saw, and liked the 14 reunion shows, too.

Since I went to 30 "Rising" shows, apparently I enjoyed it. Apologies, those who say Bruce sucked after 1984! :D

walrus likes this.
  15. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

While I have some quibbles with his post-1987 recorded work, I've never had any real quibbles with the live show. In the 100+ I've seen since 1980, I have seen a grand total of one clunker (MSG June 1993, with the other band.). The vast majority have been fantastic.

Oatsdad likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

I've seen most Bruce/E Street shows in Philly since 1999. I think I missed 2002 and maybe a few since due to conflicts, but I've probably been to at least 90% of them.

With 130 Bruce shows under my belt, I don't recall individual shows as well as I'd like, though I have a good memory of the 1999 Phillys, as they were some of the best of the tour.

More recent shows have been strong as well. I think Bruce feels a sort of pressure when he plays NJ/NY that sometimes inhibits his performance - not always or even often, but sometimes.

I also think NJ shows get a higher "yahoo" percentage. People assume Bruce in NJ will be da bomb so more of a casual fanbase goes to those shows.

Philly gets more of a diehard crowd, and I think Bruce responds to that. He also is close to home without the same "pressure" that impacts NJ/NY, so he's able to let loose...

budwhite likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Were you at the first "Rising" show at the Meadowlands Arena in 2002? That's one I can call a clunker - man, the band just was off that night!

18. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

I've only seen him in Philly once, have seen him in 5 different states, 2 Canadian provinces and 5 different European countries. Best audience by a country mile were the Italians (Bologna 2002), it was also a fantastic show.

19. Dr. Zoom

No I wasn't at that show. But I agree about Philly. Philly shows are almost always waaaaay better than NJ shows.

20. JerseyPride

JerseyPride Active Member

That was my second Bruce show at age 14 and, ugh, it was rough. The vibe never recovered after the Terrence Trent D'Arby guest appearance snafu.

21. Oatsdad

I've thought about doing a Euro Bruce tour but haven't really felt the need since he plays so many shows in the US, tons of which are within fairly easy driving distance for me.

I mean, I've got DC (obviously), Philly, Pittsburgh, Raleigh and NJ/NY all within roughly 5 hours, and Cleveland and Boston are driveable as well.

I can do an easy 10+ shows per tour within these locations, so there's not a need to really travel.

But those Euro audiences do seem to add something to the shows!

22. Dr. Zoom

Yeah, but my recollection is that the band, and Bruce, were really off before D'Arby ever hit the stage. No energy, and just a weird vibe. And this was on the heels of several shows I had seen earlier in the tour that were nothing more than 'okay'. I remember sitting on the train home that night wondering if Bruce Springsteen had lost it.

23. INSW

INSW Forum Resident

Every Bruce show I've seen since 99 has been great, and I've seen at least four. Maybe five.

24. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

I am part of the European crowd. I've seen him everywhere over here in Europe and also some shows in USA (2000, 2006, 2007, 2009).
    While both sides of the pond have their qualities, I don't think that the unforgettable atmosphere for Barcelona 2002 will ever be regained. Also Milano 2003 was incredible, but lousy weather was hard to get by.

In the USA, I saw the last 4 show shows in MSG 2000, the LINYC shows. There were a couple which were great and then some clunkers (6/29 was pretty weak). I also remember Philly 2007 as 2 GREAT shows and the 2009 Philly arena shows were amazing and are highly underrated.

J

25. INSW

INSW Forum Resident

Every Euro show is ruined by your inability to clap correctly.