Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. INSW

INSW Forum Resident

2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

Probably was.
    Cooking for Bruce Springsteen and Miami Steve in the late 70's must have been interesting. My guess is a deep-fat fryer was the primary cooking tool.

3. INSW

INSW Forum Resident

My guess was that it mostly involved handing them a Dairy Queen bag.

CrawdaddySim1 likes this.
  4. Dr. Zoom

Ha. I just saw a recent picture of Steve. Looks like he is still successfully dodging the salad bar.

DavidD likes this.
  5. Dr. Zoom

[​IMG]
    Salad Days

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Not for Obie though

7. Dr. Zoom

8. Efus

Efus Forum Resident

Here you go, a whole long forgotten thread for commenting on Springsteen's catalog.....

9. Dr. Zoom

Oh you tricky devil!!

The MEZ and Efus like this.
  10. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Western Stars appears to be off on unsettled opinion: thoughts?

The MEZ likes this.
  11. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Well-Known Member

They look like the Marx Brothers.

DavidD and The MEZ like this.
  12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Stevie looks like

[​IMG]

13. Dr. Zoom

So I was gonna post this on the other thread, but didn't think I'd get any useful feedback from the "Up With Bruce" cheerleading squad. @PacificOceanBlue (as he often does) made an interesting point: why do we expect less from great songwriters once they hit 60? I mean, it's not ice hockey or rugby. From a purely physical standpoint, songwriting basically requires that one be able to sit upright at a desk.

You would think with age comes better perspective, better use of language, better sense of melody/song structure, wider sense of concepts, more wisdom. You would think these guys would get better at their craft as time goes by. Yet many of the great songwriters of the 1970's (Neil Young, Springsteen, Jackson Browne just to name a few) have all, to varying degrees, been in decline for a long while. Yes, each have had the occasional good song, and Springsteen remains a miraculously outstanding live performer. But it could be argued that none of these guys have been able to put a really good, solid album together in years. Tom Petty, Bob Dylan and Paul Simon have done better, but they have had their struggles too.

Are they just tired? Is a songwriter's peak between the ages of 25 and 35? Is there a link between testosterone and good songwriting? Do you think this rash on my thigh will go away by itself?

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    deanrelax, ExHead, The MEZ and 3 others like this.
  14. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The screenwriter Larry Karaszewski: "One of the hidden goals of writing is eventually having nothing left to say."

15. Dr. Zoom

Wow. I like that.

twicks likes this.
  16. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

It's a good question. There is the issue of hunger though. Those names that you mentioned all have millions of dollars in the bank. Not that that prevents good song writing (or art in general), but I do think it can be somewhat of a hindrance. I'd guess that your incentives and perspectives on just about everything changes when you have a certain amount of money. Being fat and happy isn't the same as being lean and hungry. Again, it isn't impossible, but given how it tends to work out, there's probably something to it.

krock2009, The MEZ, JoeF. and 2 others like this.
  17. Dr. Zoom

Yup, probably true. Steve Van Zandt once said that when they did the lawsuit tour in 1977, they were playing as if their lives literally depended upon it. Bruce's songwriting probably reflected the same urgency.

The MEZ and DavidD like this.
  18. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Definitely a reasonable question. Particularly in Springsteen's case, given his life experiences (the loss of two lifetime band members, his mother's Alzheimer's, his own mental health issues, the empty nest issue), you'd think there'd be something there to tap into at a human / emotional level without having to make a big social or political statement. But, as you said, he still has his moments so I'm not willing to count him out yet.

And, er...yeah, maybe have the doctor look at that rash...

BeatlesBop, The MEZ, JoeF. and 2 others like this.
  19. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

I think Boz Scaggs just hit it out of the park on Out Of The Blues, and he was 73? How about Johnny Cash as he left the scene — terrific contributions.

Let’s face it: Springsteen is a personally conflicted individual, and it comes thru in his music. That’s what makes it genius in one stroke and crap in another.

I’ll add, TOL was a completely different work in sound, but he got personal, putting it out to the world that he struggled with his hypocrisy and deception. That made is Brilliant. Later efforts haven’t returned as strongly in that vein.

That’s honesty is what I heard on ‘Hello Sunshine’, but didn’t hear on the other track.

I like tormented, questioning and searching Bruce’s work much more than populist Bruce’s efforts.

I know I’m not answering your Q except with the Boz and Cash examples, but I wanted to get this off to those who might appreciate such things after the Western Stars thread approached the unbearable for me.

The MEZ, Dr. Zoom and JoeF. like this.
  20. Dr. Zoom

In BS's case, I think the antidepressant meds could be a factor. Truly glad it gives him relief, but they do say it can blunt some of the more creative, passionate instincts in people.

21. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Except an honest and questioning man always has something to add to the conversation, imo.

JoeF. likes this.
  22. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I can't stand Springsteen. The man created music that people have been enjoying for 40 years so much that they paid money for albums and concert tickets. Damn him for being rich.

23. Dr. Zoom

Thanks, will check out the Boz album.

(btw, you can relax, you're south of the DMZ now)

The MEZ and DavidD like this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Interesting perspective. I don't think there's an automatic cut-off age for when your Muse starts to call in sick and I doubt testosterone--or lack thereof--has much to do with it either. Maybe like with all things in life, you are only allowed a certain allotment of self-reflection, inspiration, creativity--and the drive and energy to see the fruits of your creative efforts to completion.

Or maybe, a successful artist reaches a point where it becomes mainly about "maintenance" and trying to navigate the distractions. You can't forget that it's a business that makes constant demands on your time and energy. And then there are the interviews. And the collecting of awards. And the papers to sign. Add to this---family issues.

I guess the answer is complicated and it depends on the artist. But all of them seem to lose the edge eventually.

25. Dr. Zoom

Maybe this is why Dylan has been able to keep up a fairly high standard. He avoids most that stuff. Although he said himself in the 60 Minutes interview "I can't write songs like that anymore" (after being asked about his mid-60's masterpieces).

budwhite, krock2009, The MEZ and 3 others like this.