Bruce Springsteen -The Candid Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Apr 29, 2018.

1. tillywilly17

tillywilly17 Well-Known Member

haha he's 69 years old and would be hitting on your grandma if he wasn't married! :laugh:

2. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

Well, Clapton live is a cure for insomnia compared to Springsteen. No stage presence at all.

Charlie Z. and musicaner like this.
  3. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Unlikely.:buttkick:

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Forum Resident

I’m not sure what Clapton has to do with the discussion, but when I go to a Clapton show, I’m going for the supreme musicianship and catalogue. Last time I saw him, he stood in one place for two hours and his incredible guitar tone and virtuosity kept me engaged the entire time — and while Springsteen has iconic stage presence, I recall heading to the concourse when he started with his extended preacher schtick during Tenth Avenue. For the record, Clapton with Winwood was better than any Springsteen show I attended. Again, had I been able to see Springsteen during the 1975 -1981 period, I know it would have been epic.

budwhite and Jimmy B. like this.
  5. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

You listed him in your superior shows of the last 20 years. And then there's your avatar. Winwood is pretty good live.

6. PacificOceanBlue

The funny thing is that it isn’t as if he is my all-time favorite artist, I just dig the avatar and never got around to changing it.

BeatlesBop and Jimmy B. like this.
  7. tillywilly17

I consider Winwood and Clapton brilliant performers, musicians and songwriters. However, fate caused me to grow up in Parsippany, New Jersey, and when I was 19, I heard "Night" and then "Born to Run" on the radio, bought the album, and as a song goes, "Put your foot to the floor, and baby Don't Look Back". I learned Dylan, Gershwin, Cole Porter, Hank Williams, and they were all geniuses in their own right, but Bruce Springsteen, who is 7 years older than me, is the one that amazed me over and over the most. Of course, every one of those brilliant artists only have 10 great years and maybe 2o good years (if they are lucky, this is a ridiculous generalization), then they get old, older, dead. Right? I am being gratuitous (right Hank!), but this is my personal opinion so who cares. I know Springsteen better than the others, I know how he writes songs, I know why he has so much unreleased material. None of us are perfect.

8. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I saw all 3 Clapton and Winwood shows at MSG. First 5 rows center for 2 of them. Then the following year at meadowlands and philly. They were spectacular. BLEW. MY. MIND. And I’m a seasoned Clapton concert goer. Probably close to 100 shows since 1985. As far as Bruce, 150 shows since 1979.

Truly comparing apples and oranges. Anyone who says Clapton is a snoozefest just doesn’t get it. That’s okay. But I’d try harder if I were you. You’re missing probably the greatest guitar player (as far as tone and “sound”) in the world.

9. tillywilly17

This is all about Bruce. He doesn't want unfinished material circulating. and that means his definition of unfinished. All these outtakes exist because he constantly declared his album projects "unfinished" when an attempt was made to issue an album, and the decision everytime was to go back to work on creating more songs.

10. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

I think my issue with Clapton isn't Eric, it's that a lot of his biggest songs are the most boring ones in his catalog. "Wonderful Tonight," "Cocaine," "Lay Down Sally"...literally anything played Unplugged-style especially "Layla." I love From The Cradle and of course the entire Layla album, and a select few of other hits are genuinely great and have a lot of energy: "Let It Rain," "After Midnight," "Pretending," etc. But if I went to an arena show and Clapton spent 1/3 of the set on a stool playing acoustic stuff, I'd probably get bored.

I don't even think his Unplugged record is bad, it's just not something that would be very exciting to watch live. I even liked some of Pilgrim and checked out the One More Car live album to see how that stuff translated live, and it surprisingly wasn't terrible, but again, not anything I really personally needed to see at $200 or something a ticket.

I will say the Winwood/Clapton shows looked great...that's the one late-period Clapton gig I'd have probably paid late-period Clapton money for. They put together a dream setlist and both seemed to elevate their game for the occasion (at least according to the live release).

11. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

WTF? Lay Down Sally kills just about anything Bruce wrote.
    when did Jerry Garcia do a Bruce tune?
    Promises is also a killer tune.

12. tillywilly17

Eric is a technical guitar player dedicated to the blues. Lay Down and Promises are probably not two of his favorite songs. Jerry Garcia RIP died many years ago, what does he have to do with anything.
    I am sorry, you have the right to like the music that makes you feel good.
    When did Bruce ever do s Jerry Garcia tune? and why would anybody care about either's musical opinion of each other?

13. pacman68

pacman68 Forum Resident

I can't believe the hate for BORN IN THE USA on this thread. The album rocks! His best sounding record by far. The River sounds like it was recorded in a concrete gymnasium. Plus is has a lot of terrible songs. DOTEOT sounds like poop. BITUSA also has his best songs. The mix is fantastic.... his voice sounds amazing and sits nice in the mix.

Bruce's biggest mistake was not releasing a follow up in 85 or 86 before TOL. Way too many classic songs left on the shelf. Murder Inc, Frankie, This Hard Land, My Love Will Not Let You down, County Fair, Wages Of Sin, Seeds, Light Of Day. My lord the follow up would have been rocking.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  14. PacificOceanBlue

Not much hate, just acknowledgement that it could have been artistically superior with an alternative tracklisting.

budwhite and BeatleBruceMayer like this.
  15. pacman68

pacman68 Forum Resident

What tracklist do you think is better? The 82 version with Murder and This Hard Land? I think the 84 track list is killer.

16. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Happy 70th birthday Mr Springsteen!

He was only 49 when I first saw him 20 years ago. I was 15. Time flies.

[​IMG]
    1999-06-24

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Bingo - yet the "fans" expect him to be...

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, and just wait till you play it backwards!! :laugh::sigh:

20. windfall

windfall Forum Resident

Lost track it's Bruce's birthday today. Thanks, Budwhite! Think I will drag out a cover of Something in the Night for my regular Open Mic tonight.

OptimisticGoat and budwhite like this.
  21. John22

John22 Forum Resident