Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - USA & Europe 2023 tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Old Fart At Play, May 23, 2022.

1. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

Check, that's where I took my stats from. I just love nerdy stuff like that!

GMfan87' and graveyardboots like this.
  2. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

That's a good point about "Born in the USA" and one which the site does not adequately address, namely alternate arrangements of the same song. For instance, during the Meadowlands '92 stand, I caught "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" twice with each appearance coming in the form of a different arrangement (just Bruce and Roy the first time out and the entire band at the end of the run).

The albums I've heard every track from are Wild & Innocent, Born to Run, Darkness, The River (although here I'm cheating because I attended the first leg of the 2016 tour in which the album was performed in its entirety every night), Born in the USA, and Lucky Town. One of the rare tracks you heard, "The New Timer," is the only one I still need to hear in order to add The Ghost of Tom Joad to that list. One more from The Rising, "Let's Be Friends (Skin to Skin)," two more from Greetings, "The Angel" and "Mary, Queen of Arkansas," two more from Devils and Dust, "Maria's Bed" and "Black Cowboys," and two more from Magic, "You'll Be Coming Down" and "Terry's Song," and I'd be able to add those albums to the list as well, although none of those tracks are likely to ever be performed again.

Of the rare songs I've heard, "Sad Eyes" and "Trouble River" (both Human Touch outtakes) are evidently extremely rare, as they've only been performed once each in concert. Other genuine rarities I've heard include "Iceman" (performed only three times), "Give the Girl a Kiss" (performed only four times), and "Blood Brothers," "Valentine's Day," "With Every Wish," and "Held up without a Gun" (each performed only six times).

Okay, I promise I'll stop now. My apologies to all for nerding out and temporarily derailing the thread.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes I remember that. It seemed that the public was much more responsive outside of the US. I think they played standalone shows at Wembley Arena and other fairly well known venues overseas, but like you said, in the US, it was small theaters and fairgrounds. I wonder why that is? In the early 2010's, Paul McCartney and the Stones could play stadiums, but the Beach Boys played the same venues as Ringo. I wondered why. I thought perhaps because two major members were missing? But then I remembered groups like Fleetwood Mac, which still plays arenas, and Journey, which plays major theaters and arenas (and sometimes stadiums) despite having replaced most of the original members (including a lead singer they found on youtube).

I guess you never know.

4. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

I don't know if this was intended for me or not, but I was 10 when BJ came out. As I've gotten older, I lost touch with my best friend from high school and college. He moved to the middle of the country. I connect with that song on an another level. I've heard the band version in 99-00. I don't think he's played at any of the shows I saw in 02-03 or 08-09.

twicks likes this.
  5. gobillygo

gobillygo Forum Resident

Thanks for a great share, BeatleBruceMayer. I empathize with you losing touch with your best friend from HS/College. I'm sure a lot of us can relate to that. I can.

Part of the power of Bruce is him creating that connection when singing/performing, not only with the individual and the group audience, but then providing us an opportunity to connect with others in equally or more compelling ways. My longest friendships got started listening to Bruce. This and other boards also provide a valuable forum for connecting.

The reason I asked about you seeing him in 84 was even though many of my friends never liked the song, "too pedestrian musically" and "a tad sappy" are some of the comments from them, I thought, and still do, the song as performed on the album rang true, as did those performances I saw in 84. Although the CC solo cuts out on the album way too soon (I undestand, it's an album) it still works for me, as does that gloriously extened, to a minute (with all eyes on Clarence, close to his peak, standing all alone at the front of stage right during the run of shows I saw in 84) solo from CC, Bruce's "beautiful friend."

I associate those moments in time, listening to the album when it came out and those LA 84 shows with Bobby Jean, when it seemed, and I may be naive, when there was some evidence of authenticity. He did promote the food banks from the stage. Ever since then, I've seen less and less authenticity. That's why seeing a song on the original tour supporting the album it's on can be a vastly different experience than seeing the song performed 30-40-50 years later. For instance, seeing The River in 1980, completely different, and in my opinion, far more moving than seeing The River performed on the second River Tour in 2016. I understand if that's the only time one saw it, than you have nothing to compare it to, and hats off to you - nothing like the first time. But it is inevitable when talking about a performer to compare performances.

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There's some logic. Ringo/Beach Boys is just a bunch of guy onstage rather than a "SHOW" and they tour the US every year so it's easy to take for granted. Even Bruce had some empty seats after touring the US in 02/03/04/05/06/07/08/09.

Fleetwood Mac was arenas with Stevie, F&M and ten either Christine or Lindsey. Stevie was careful to only do FM every 3-4 years or so. When Stevie wasn't there they were opening up an REO Speedwagon national tour.

I don't know why the Beach Boys 50th didn't do more shows outside the US.

Journey is the outlier. I think it's casual music fans wanting to get a bit tipsy at the arena shouting songs they know.

7. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Iceman and Wild Thing are the rarest I’ve heard live.

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Bobby Jean is a favourite of mine. I know so many are sick of it. I find it to be a very emotional song. It reminds me of all the people I’ve shared good times with and we’ve now drifted apart.

9. gobillygo

gobillygo Forum Resident

"Iceman" "Give the Girl a Kiss" "Blood Brothers," "Valentine's Day," "With Every Wish," and "Held up without a Gun" all phenomenal songs, graveyardboots.

warewolf95 and graveyardboots like this.
  10. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Thanks for all the comments about Bobby Jean. Here's my take.

da-dum da-dum da-dum da-dum

middle 8

ah 1-2-3-4

It sucks.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    warewolf95 and gobillygo like this.
  11. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

Neat site. Is there a users manual somewhere? I can't enter any data, such as a date that I know a show took place.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

It's ok on album, but live it does nothing for me.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

Haha, I was about to post that it has a pretty repetitive melody, but you summed it up better than I would have!

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Ha! I don’t agree with you, but I love this post.

warewolf95, Jimmy B. and brettster808 like this.
  15. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

“See Boss, I told you, give it a week or two and all this ticket brouhaha would blow over.
    Now, did you get a chance to look at those $85 tour t-shirts I sent over?”
    Jon

16. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

It's blown over in terms of headlines, but I think the man's image is dented U2-style.

Whether Team Bruce cares is another issue entirely.

17. gobillygo

gobillygo Forum Resident

18. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

His merchandise is perhaps the worst of any major artist…and has been for years.

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Over played live

GMfan87' and warewolf95 like this.
  20. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

It is. The Rising g-strings and thongs were ridiculous.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  21. INSW

INSW Senior Member

The only people that care here. "Image" and "Legacy" are irrelevant outside a few corners of the internet.

22. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Depends. When you have loyal fans locked out by simple money-grubbing price-gouging, you can't rely on those fans staying loyal once we've been informed that the only thing that matters to Team Bruce is often $$$. Those fans are under no obligation to remain interested in seeing Bruce in concert again. There are some acts I thought I'd have to see every time they played, and when I didn't because they shows were too small, or sold out, or vastly overpriced, I realised that I was buying tickets to be there, and not being there wasn't quite as unpleasant as I feared. So seeing the band at a high price was the last time because I was soured by the absurd price. Some fans Bruce pushed away won't be coming back.

NunoBento, gobillygo and GMfan87' like this.
  23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I will say, regardless of price point, Bruce (at least in my lifetime) has always had the ugliest wearable merch. The only thing I've ever bought at a Bruce merch table was a Magic tour hoodie which was necessitated by me underestimating how cold it'd be in the GA line the second show of the 2007 Chicago stand, and I still have it, it's a really nice design. But man, the shirts on every tour? Yikes.

GMfan87' likes this.
  24. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

@INSW had a pretty funny quip about that recently.

The only shirt I ever bought was in 1980. It was a grey baseball style shirt with orange sleeves. BTR logo on front, the band members names on the back. Great shirt. I wore it until it literally disintegrated some time around 1990.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    GMfan87' and walrus like this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I have a faux retro raglan that's similar (nothing on the back) and I love it. If anyone on his team were smart, they'd lean into replica retro merch, big time. I'm a sucker for that stuff.