Bruce Willis Becomes First Celebrity to Sell Rights to Deepfake Firm

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Deepfake for faces and Respeecher for voices? This is all very sad. Once an actor can no longer do it, just make something else with new talents.

No problems with de-aging for a few shots (Brad Pitt on Benjamin Button, Robert Downey Jr on Captain America: Civil War), but a whole feature film?

On the 2022 Death on the Nile film, there'a long prologue with a de-aged Kenneth Branagh and it's creepy, we've all seen Branagh when he was young (eg Henry V) and it was nothing like the de-aged face on Death on the Nile (top picture)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sure wouldn't buy a cinema ticket to see a live action film that in reality is a cartoon with a artificial voices.

3. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Very interesting you post this, as I was just reading that James Earl Jones has decided to stop doing Darth Vader's voice, but that the same organisation (Respeecher) will be involved.
    I thought about a few scary things that could come about in the future (such as cloning), but often wondered about whether bringing famous movie stars to life again is some way were in the realm of science fiction - it would appear not.
    What worries me is that identity theft used to be about someone stealing your private information (which has just happened in a major telco company hack here in Australia) - but the things that make you YOU, such as your voice, can also be copied ?
    It is very worrying in its implications.
    I suppose those music artists selling their catalogs for big $ worked for them - but what could movie actors do to keep receiving royalties ? We may now have the answer.

4. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

so when is the next die hard film coming out ?

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The thing is Willis has shot his career to pieces doing what he has done (for right or wrong) so would anyone want to watch another movie with a character that looks like Willis?

I'll be honest I've avoided anything with his face or name on it for the past 10 years or more. He was phoning it in loooong before his current health issues.

I used to go to the cinema to see his films...

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sgt Pepper II is still going into the preorder stratosphere around here.

7. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Check out The Congress with Robin Wright and Harvey Keitel. Based on The Futurological Congress by Stanislaw Lem. About an actress, Robin Wright, who's offered her last movie contract and what happens subsequently. A fascinating trip.

glide likes this.