Bryan Adams-Ultimate. What is up with this compilation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

i get why it was released. even states in the liner notes why it was released. very confusing though. the liner notes said the label wanted as many big hits crammed into 1 cd as possible.

-look at the list of big hits missing
    straight from the heart
    heat of the night
    this time
    one night love affair
    thought i'd died and gone to heaven
    do i have to say the words
    lets make a nigh to remember (the biggest hit from the album 18 til i die)
    i finally found someone (never on an adams compilation)
    on a day like today

plus nothing from the albums room service, 11 or tracks on my years. adams really needs a boxset or something. he has so many non album songs and stuff released in different regions. it needs to all be gathered up

Rubberpigg and Purple like this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's a ridiculous amount of big songs left off. Some of his best singles!

Carlox and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

And probably compressed to death

I'll stick with 'So Far So Good', which is his best sounding comp

:righton:

4. Matthew Tate

look at the songs that made it. it doesn't help that adams recorded 2 new songs plus picked 2 songs from his most recent album so that takes up 4 spaces. to have several albums not represented at all seems silly. adams had the great 2 cd anthoogy set. he is not an artist that can have just a 1 cd hits release at this point in his career

carlwm likes this.
  5. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I don't like the sound of the 2 CD Anthology set but the track listing is very good.

bartels76 and Pouchkine like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

yup but even that is still missing the huge hit "do i have to say the words"

7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Yea, they put more than a few songs from Waking Up... though. Maybe they could have fit "Do I Have To Say The Words? (Single Edit)" in but not sure. It runs 4:20 or so. They should have put the single version of "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" on that comp. I went nuts a number of months trying to find the CD singles for a bunch of the single versions.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Yeah Adams has so many non album single bsides too

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

There's no reason anything from those would be on a hits compilation, let's be honest.

Then again, anyone looking for a physical media Adams comp has multiple options already...not really sure what the purpose of this one is other than to have some kind of product to support a tour.

There's "Next Steps" and "Deep Cuts" playlists on Apple Music, both of which seem pretty solid, and kind of negate the need for a 90's-style box set. Anyone who wants that much Bryan Adams already has the albums.

‎Bryan Adams: Next Steps by Apple Music Pop
    ‎Bryan Adams: Deep Cuts by Apple Music Pop

Purple, shaboo and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

yeah those 3 albums didn't have any real hits but then again neither did GET UP and that has 2 songs on ultimate. having nothing from INTO THE FIRE and leaving off the biggest hit from 18 TIL I DIE is pretty odd. the title track to ON A DAY LIKE TODAY was a #1 hit in Canada but is missing. "open road" from ROOM SERVICE was also a #1 hit in Canada and a pretty big hit in other countries and its missing. "I thought I'd seen everything" from 11 was a decent sized hit.

as far as needing something to tour on. he just had an album out in 2015. no need for a hits release again just to tour. he went years without releases. it states in the booklet his label said 2018 was probably the last year of physical cd's so they asked him to put together the most hits on one single disc so they could get it out as his final product. that's why I'm not shocked he has no label deal in 2019 in the USA for his new album

walrus likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I am only really familiar with Cuts Like A Knife and Reckless, but even I know 3 or 4 of those you listed are some of his big hits ...
    Perhaps it is an attempt to get some of those new songs in front of the audience in a package where they may not skip them....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Other than the two new tracks, is there anything unique to this set?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. walrus

Yeah there's really no rhyme or reason for it, other than it to be "product." I'm sure he insisted on the two Get Up songs...there are literally hundreds of greatest hits albums with an oddly disproportionate amount of whatever the artists' last thing was. I guess maybe he thought a few people might hear his new songs that way.

(Also, by my count, there's 3 songs from 18 Til I Die?)

But in the playlist era, there's really no need for this. I think it's just something to exist to have some product on whatever shelves are left, because those places probably aren't stocking his (better) comps from the 80's/90's or the double-disc Anthology at this point. No more rhyme or reason to it than that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

there are 2 tracks from that album as "have ever really loved a woman" was only on that album in certain countries . still though leaving off the biggest hit that's on the album in every country makes no sense

15. Matthew Tate

nope unless there is a single edit or something I haven't noticed. the booklet only has 1 page of thoughts from BA about the release itself, the lyrics to the 2 new tunes and then writing credits for all of the songs on the album. no list of albums or singles or anything the songs appeared ob.

16. walrus

I honestly have no idea which song you're talking about. I see "The Only Thing That Looks Good...," "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman" (Which I think was on pretty much all editions of 18 Till I Die?) and the "18" title track.

"Let's Make A Night To Remember" was a hit, but I don't think of it as the biggest hit by any means (especially now...I haven't heard it anywhere in years)

Honestly, again, there's no rhyme or reason to it. It's just something to put on shelves as a "new" product. Would've been more interesting for a post-Til I Die comp, not that many albums to choose from, but most (like me) never really bothered to listen to any of his studio albums between 1996 and now...surely a solid 14-15 track comp could be pulled from those LP's. But I suppose that wouldn't have had much market appeal.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

“Have you ever really loved a woman “ was released more than a year before the album on a movie soundtrack. The biggest hit from the album chart wise that was released during the promotion of the album was “let’s make a night to remember “. Went to 1 in Canada and was Adams only top 40 hit from the album in America not counting “have you ever really loved a woman “ which I count as a soundtrack tune anyways

18. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Are the two new songs Jeff Lynne produced? If so, I think I will buy this compilation!

19. Matthew Tate

nope

andy75 likes this.
  20. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Lynne is credited as one of several keyboard players on the song "Ultimate Love". There's a rockabilly vibe to the song in which that is showing.

andy75 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Honestly I could do without all of those tracks, save "One night love affair" and maybe "This time." I could see why they left them off. My bigger concern is finding a record he's made since Waking Up the Neighbors that's worth listening to. #fairweatherfan

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It's also missing Lonely Nights.

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Stingfan80

Stingfan80 Forum Resident

There are indeed a few single edits, notably Please Forgive Me which is shorter and different than the radio version the made when the song was originally released

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Stingfan80

Stingfan80 Forum Resident

The tracklist was made to reflect the actual setlist of his shows. Some songs are indeed single edits.
    Please Forgive Me is strange because it skips the key change and the finale is probably the same as the original although pitched down a tone.
    Weird stuff.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

How is the sound quality on this Ultimate CD?

Is it too loud or is the volume level good, and do the songs sound better remastered than on the 2005 Anthology 2CD set or the 2014 Reckless reissue CDs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.