Budget complete setup

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by shivasage, Sep 11, 2019.

1. shivasage

shivasage Member Thread Starter

Hi guys. I'm in the market for a full setup: turntable, receiver, and 2 floor speakers. I don't need bells or whistles (though Bluetooth capabilities on the receiver would be pretty cool... not sure how much that'll add), vintage or non-vintage doesn't matter, new or used doesn't matter. Audio quality is of the utmost importance. I don't know if it matters, but I listen to all kinds of music (like, whether certain preamps or speakers are better suited for certain genres).

I live in NYC so have good access to stores and/or craigslist.

Is it possible to do this for <$500?

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

Budget:
    Used Technics direct-drive: $80-$150
    Cartridge: AT95 or similar: $50
    Receiver with phono: $50-150 (cheap deals to be had on AV receivers with obsolete video; shop Yamaha, Denon pre 2005)
    Speakers: as much as you have remaining - used Klipsch KG3.2; Boston VR40, others along those lines.

Manimal, Jacob29 and zombiemodernist like this.
  3. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I cleaned up a technics direct drive deck
    The ones dj s use.
    Fitted AT95E and found arm calibrations
    Spot on.
    Tracked first 3 bands of HI -FI News
    Test record and was good on 4th

Very good deck as harby suggests.
    Can be upgraded by various mods
    To Hi end status.
    Excellent reccomendation

4. shivasage

shivasage Member Thread Starter

Great, I'll look into and report back if I have any other questions. Thanks!!

5. rockclassics

rockclassics Forum Resident

Craigslist and thrift shops maybe good places to start looking for the various components.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Forum Resident

In theory, it is doable but expect some legwork and time for this. Bump your budget to twice that and it becomes much more doable because you can buy some of the components new/refurbished/more recent used stuff.

Bear in mind any old receiver you buy is probably going to need serious service and recapping. I would look for something that's already had that done to it. Check stereo repair shops in your area. For speakers, anything really old might need work too, such as new caps on the crossovers or refoaming on the surrounds.

Good luck.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  7. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

How about a nice pair of powered speakers and a turntable? Eliminate the need for a receiver. Also, some powered speakers have Bluetooth capability.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    ssmith3046 and Sane Man like this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek Please label the photos you post

Newegg.com...I think this is less than $500 with a free gift card.

Yamaha R-S202
    [​IMG]

LP-120
    [​IMG]

Polk R50
    [​IMG]

9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'd spend the most on speakers first. Then when budget allows, get a Turntable!

10. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

For best bang for your buck as far as specs and sound quality, used is the way to go, but as advised above, look for restored / recapped electronics from professionals. Speaking from experience used receivers do need a recapping. There should be at least one store in NYC that sells restored vintage hardware and speakers that you can demo and have an experience not unlike shopping for new gear.

If shopping for a turntable on Craigslist, I think used Japanese direct drive is a good way to go, good reliability and little maintain needed. As a newbie I'd advise away from used Tech 1200s, a good one will blow your budget, as those cheaper are often abused from DJ and production use, and need some TLC (ie $$ and parts) to be brought up to shape for hi-fi playback. All other Technics models should be cheaper and better maintained.

As mentioned $1000 is a more comfortable budget range, even when buying used. $500 is more of a range of comprises between speakers and source, but this hobby is more of a journey for most than a one stop shopping experience.

patient_ot likes this.
  11. antnee

antnee Member

I would go for the Klipsch r-51m or r-41m for inexpensive speakers they are great you can find them on sale on occasion on either amazon or Klipsch’s website I think I have seen them as low as 125 if memory serves me correctly...you should be able to find a real clean turntable on Facebook market place or Craigslist I just sold a less that one year old lp120 for 130 or something similar I would look for an lp5 possibly...I would look for a Yamaha a-s301 it is a very nice starter integrated amp but very good sound quality and it has a sub out if you want to upgrade in the future it does not offer Bluetooth but you can add that later on if you so desire I am sure Yamaha offers an option or many others fairly inexpensive for a used one should be really cheap I would birddog amazon for this one amp they go on sale once in a while or find a slightly used one or renewed on amazon...this would be a very decent sound quality you would have to work at it to keep it under 500 but it is possible just might take some time and effort...to find a used table and the others on sale or used...good luck

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. EggBreakfast

EggBreakfast Forum Resident

I went to a place that sells quality used equipment and lets you listen and I started with the speakers I liked best, then chose the amp and rest around the speakers, listening, swapping components and listening again. It was fun and I'm glad I built it around speakers I like.

Ezd likes this.
  13. rodentdog

rodentdog Forum Resident

Kanto yu-4 powered speakers with bluetooth and built in phono preamp.

14. Polk t50 $200 a pair or cheaper
    Pioneer s10ae receiver (Bluetooth and subwoofer output) $149
    Audio Technica LP60 $99

Manimal likes this.