Budget Preamps?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by emester, Jun 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

And it's also recorded way too low...which brings out even more noise when trying to rip the damn thing. I am gonna send it back to Amazon and see if another copy provides better results.

patient_ot and emester like this.
  2. emester

emester Member Thread Starter

Yikes thats awful. Iirc vmp did a really solid pressing. Maybe return the amazon copy and then buy from label?

3. emester

Yeah it definitely seems like a gain issue with these powered klipsh speakers im using. Crackles are a lot more prominent as i increase volume. If a 2m blue would be the best answer to this issue it looks like then that will be my next step

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

With this and your previous thread about surface noise with the 1350...

Here is an outside suggestion. Get a CHEAP cart with lower output and hear what happens. As it happens, right now on the e auction site, two sellers have the Sanyo MG-09D cart or the exact China copy mounted on a Technics clone aluminum headshell for under $20.00 including shipping. You can swap this right on. This cart has lower output than your Ortofon, it has a .7 conical, and it tracks extremely well. This could help narrow down the problem you're hearing.

If the Ortofon output is too high for the Pro-Ject or the Pro-Ject output is too high for the powered speakers, then with this cart you won't have that type of click and pop problem, and can decide on a different cart or a different preamp. The .7 conical tracks differently than the elliptical which could soften clicks and pops, or not. This cart/stylus tracks Extremely Well, at least as well as the Ortofon and possibly better. It will sound a little different - it has a slight high end rise compared to most other carts.

And you'll have a spare cart and/or a decent extra headshell. And a .7 conical which is better for playing styrene 45s than any elliptical, and good for older worn records. I would not hesitate to use this on some new $35 vinyl (but I don't have to).

I am listening to one right now! - (which I have had for years) - it is an outstanding value at this price with a Technics clone headshell.

I won't link it here but two sellers have this - one is a very long time seller, the other is fairly new (1 year), I have ordered from both and both are reliable. The long time seller notes clearly in his listing that the cart is assembled to the headshell "in our shop, tested and guaranteed". Search the e auction site for "RECORD Magnetic Cartridge+Headshell+Diamond". Even more sellers have this with slightly different listing titles and slightly higher prices. Replacement styli for this are easy to get, even an elliptical "upgrade" or another conical.

5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

If you are using RCA interconnect to get the signal to the speakers, then there's an inexpensive way to take some of the gain out of the signal—after the phono preamp—using inline attenuators. You could try that out for not much and then you'd know what sort of improvement less gain would make. I see a few options on Amazon at the moment, including a little passive box with a volume knob you can turn down a few steps.

I've used these, and they are not that bad. Probably not a permanent solution, though.

https://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Lab...ttenuator&qid=1592711361&s=electronics&sr=1-2

6. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Is $500 us in the budget? Check out reviews on the Puffin.

captouch likes this.
  7. emester

Hm I'll give these a shot. so how exactly do I hook these guys up then?

8. emester

Im actively considering the Puffin actually. May have to wait a week before pulling the trigger but there's a solid chance im going to settle for it

dcarwin likes this.
  9. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

You can save $69 by getting a refurb unit directly from Parks Audio.

It’s a nice unit and the Magic feature to minimize clicks and pops works pretty well.

10. emester

Could this honestly be a VTA issue though? My old Debut Carbon (which I still have) used the same cart and preamp and never once ran into these issues im facing now. I know that as a changer model the VTA with the stock 1350 isn't out of box optimized for single LP playback so could possibly be looking at just being in need of a thicker less static thirsty mat? Ive been considering this mat but have no clue where to start for what the best customization options would be for my 1350 (center hole size? Thickness?)

Before I pull the trigger on the Puffin, I'd really appreciated some input here and if there was any other mat recommendations I could look at.

11. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

You could try out an AT VM95e for low cost. It is a good sounding cart on the cheap. See if it is quieter. If you end up liking it, the upgrade path is less costly than Ortofon (Nude elliptical is only $99).

12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

It's the gain. I can turn my preamp up in increments. I've tried to work with carts with too high output. Surface noise and pops go up with every dB more than you need.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. emester

In that case then, what sort of preamp would you recommend that could possibly fix/lessen these issues im running into?

14. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Doesn't really make sense if you are saying the surface noise is higher in relation to the music signal when you increase the gain. Of course, if you don't turn down the volume when you increase the phono preamp gain then everything is louder, surface noise, ticks, and the music, but I assume that's not what you mean. There's more chance for input overload at increased gain settings, depending on the preamp design, but that's a different subject.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. emester

Ok so:

My Phono preamp has no controls for gain so I cant tweak anything in that regard.

I understand that if gain goes up, everything else goes up, but I just want to be able to enjoy my music again and not have to worry about these pops and click ruining everything.

All I'm asking for is a way for me to enjoy my brand new LPs without dealing with this newfound clicking an poping that plaguing my entire collection. So far I've heard the following could be the culprit:

Gain issues
    Input overload due to system pairing
    VTA being off due to my table being a changer model

Just really, whats the easiest, most reliable fix i can look at? I dont want to have to sell everything because im actively considering that now

16. Davey

Well, I don't think you have adequately described the problem. You said it didn't happen on another table with same cart and preamp, presumably with the same records, so that implies you may be talking about a static discharge issue, and possibly dust, but not record defects. Have you tried a brush with static dissipation? As mentioned above, you can spritz your brush lightly with water to help dissipate the static, that's what I've been doing for many years and never have an issue with static ...

[​IMG]

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  17. emester

I've tried this with my carbon fiber brush, all issues still persist. maybe could be amplifcation based since those klipsh speakers are new and powered so maybe gain could be the culprit? idk at this point...

18. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I was just getting ready to type "Here's a thread looking for a "budget" pre, but doesn't state what that budget is" and par for the course, wonder why nobody asks! :)

Now that on page 2 that budget has been addressed (of which $500 is a nice "budget" budget) - is $500 the limit?

19. TheVinylAddict

As usual, it's scary how similar our tool sets are. I added a couple of extra brushes in there, and bottles! :)

Isn't that little LP gear stylus cleaner great?

BTW - that looks like the $40 nylon brush you can get after market in your pic --- and the one that comes with the VPI. I opt for a simple Taklon bristle Mod Podge 4" brush, best tool for hand cleaning yet, and easier to use / control that the squat design of that nylon brush. Taklon bristles are wonderful for this application.[​IMG]

Davey likes this.
  20. emester

So heres rhe deal: id only consider anything around the puffins price if it has the anti noise features that puffin has (ie magic setting).

otherwise, most id comfortably spend is like 350. And at the end of the day, my goal is to mitigate clicks, pops, crackle and other surface noise

21. TheVinylAddict

Then I'd get the best pre I could for my needs at either the 350 or 500 price point - considering used to get more for your money even. You might be able to squeeze something like a used MS Phenom, or a discrete / no feedback Phasemation EA-200 at that price point, etc.

The clicks and pops thing is a different kettle o' fish and should be separated from the phono pre purchase - any of the $500 ones mentioned so far are not purchased with a "click and pop" requirement, and many use phono pre's for much less without excessive clicks and pops.

There are many factors in "clicks and pops" and what is normal, excessive, or just something that someone new to vinyl is learning about how to minimize by getting better at alignment, cleaning, component integration, cabling.

Make your purchase easier, don't overthink and eliminate the "click and pop" notion, and get the most you can preamp wise for $500.

22. emester

In that case then maybe im not looking for a new preamp. Could just be an issue with the table itself (i mean it is from the 70’s) and ill just opt for the rt85 in a few weeks

23. Davey

The stylus brush came with one of my carts, I think it's the one Benz Micro supplies. And yea, the nylon brush that I use to clean the record brush after the water mist spritz is the one that came with my 25 yo VPI RCM.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  24. Davey

Well, make sure the active speakers are set to stay on, and not turn off when the signal is low. Maybe there's a threshold to set. What happened to the Pro-Ject table, can't you connect it back up, or is it gone now?

25. TheVinylAddict

Maybe not, and you might start simple first..... and there are definitely those that have run the Project phono pre, so they can chime in.

But there's still nothing wrong with a TT and phono pre upgrade either --- I will always give a nod with that goal too! :)

emester likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.